ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Royals 2013 Kansas City Royals Repository Thread (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=267564)

alnorth 07-31-2013 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhawhaWhat (Post 9847588)
The Jurrgens trade proposal was when Myers was in A ball. Single A. If we are going to protect guys that low in the system with an untradeable status then they will never compete.

No, he was saying that in the winter of 2011 going into 2012. Myers had conquered AA by then, was lighting up everyone's prospect charts, and on his way to AAA.

Prison Bitch 07-31-2013 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhawhaWhat (Post 9847588)
The Jurrgens trade proposal was when Myers was in A ball. Single A. If we are going to protect guys that low in the system with an untradeable status then they will never compete.

Dead ass wrong. It was after the 2011 season where Wil had just completed a year in AA. He was 10th in the prospect ratings before that year and 28th after. He was not "that low" in the system nor was he not universally accepted as a high end prospect by then.

Here's the trade article:
http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...n-prado-offer/

duncan_idaho 07-31-2013 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhawhaWhat (Post 9847562)
So he was wrong, I don't care. The overall point of his message is to do something to make the major league team better and stop wasting time expecting a tidal wave of guys to make it through the system.

If that's his overall point, that's fine. If he had been suggesting moving Wil Myers for a guy who was WORTH the price, that's fine, too.

But he was suggesting moving a top 25 prospect for a replacement-level starter having a good half season due to smoke and mirrors. And when people pointed out that Jurrjens actually wasn't that good, he flipped out.

I'm not crazy about the Myers/Shields trade and will consider it a colossal failure if they don't make the playoffs this year or next. But at least the value was pretty damn close to correct.

Messier 07-31-2013 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alnorth (Post 9847589)
We should worry about 2014 in the winter. Prices are higher on deadline day than in the winter. We probably shouldn't pay for 2 months of a guy, to the extent that we try at all to win in 2013, we need at least a year and 2 months, but if we really think this team as-is will finish .500 as suggested above, then we shouldn't trade for anyone today.

They absolutely should worry about 2014 now.

WhawhaWhat 07-31-2013 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 9847598)
Dead ass wrong. It was after the 2011 season where Wil had just completed a year in AA. He was 10th in the prospect ratings before that year and 28th after. He was not "that low" in the system nor was he not universally accepted as a high end prospect by then.

Ok, I was wrong. Still don't care and would trade anyone that I thought gave the team, Major league, a chance to win.

Prison Bitch 07-31-2013 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhawhaWhat (Post 9847605)
Ok, I was wrong. Still don't care and would trade anyone that I thought gave the team, Major league, a chance to win.

Fair point. I think the main thesis here is that when Petro says something about MLB (esp a trade proposal), start laughing the second he begins. Just laugh at him. He's a clown who deserves nothing more.

siberian khatru 07-31-2013 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alnorth (Post 9847589)
We should worry about 2014 in the winter. Prices are higher on deadline day than in the winter. We probably shouldn't pay for 2 months of a guy, to the extent that we try at all to win in 2013, we need at least a year and 2 months, but if we really think this team as-is will finish .500 as suggested above, then we shouldn't trade for anyone today.

Then that's a reason to trade Santana: It addresses 2014 and takes advantage of high prices on deadline day.

I'm OK with that. I'm not OK with doing nothing.

alnorth 07-31-2013 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Messier (Post 9847604)
They absolutely should worry about 2014 now.

ONLY to the extent that they say "we need this guy for 2013, but while we're at it, make sure he's here for 2014 also" Thats it.

If, as was suggested last page, this team is .500 as-is, then we're done. We stand pat and wait for the winter, because prices for 2014 are lower in the winter than they are right now.

WhawhaWhat 07-31-2013 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 9847603)
I'm not crazy about the Myers/Shields trade and will consider it a colossal failure if they don't make the playoffs this year or next. But at least the value was pretty damn close to correct.

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on that.

Fansy the Famous Bard 07-31-2013 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sure-Oz (Post 9847500)
I don't listen to petro on baseball...esp after the myers for jurjjens bs

Petro is actually very knowledgeable regarding baseball, he can go a bit over-board on his "stance" sometimes, though.

duncan_idaho 07-31-2013 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 9847598)

And... boom.

Myers' had a down 2011 (while injured and transitioning to a new position) but was still a consensus top 25-30 prospect who was about 1.5-2 years away from MLB.

alnorth 07-31-2013 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by siberian khatru (Post 9847611)
Then that's a reason to trade Santana: It addresses 2014 and takes advantage of high prices on deadline day.

I'm OK with that. I'm not OK with doing nothing.

Correct. For baseball reasons, we should trade Santana. He's not being traded basically for business reasons.

edit: unless we can somehow re-sign Santana for a reasonable deal, of course.

Fansy the Famous Bard 07-31-2013 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 9847510)
I want wins in the majors, too, obviously... but know that for KC, wins in the minors translate into wins in the majors, long-term.

Petro has gotten better in the past few years about recognizing the value long-term control of good young players and ESPECIALLY in looking at more advanced stats and realizing that SPs, especially, are much more than ERA and W/L.

The Yankees' approach works FINE as long as you have cash to pay the vets AND trade your prospects for truly good players.

with a good organization I would agree, but this is not a good organization. We don't develop talent very well. He wants to use prospects to maximize their "hype" in acquiring wins for the short window we have.

WhawhaWhat 07-31-2013 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 9847610)
Fair point. I think the main thesis here is that when Petro says something about MLB (esp a trade proposal), start laughing the second he begins. Just laugh at him. He's a clown who deserves nothing more.

I laugh more at people that want to do nothing and expect to win games at some point.

WhawhaWhat 07-31-2013 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zeke (Post 9847615)
Petro is actually very knowledgeable regarding baseball, he can go a bit over-board on his "stance" sometimes, though.

Message boards are known for their clear and rational thoughts however. He is a baseball nerd just like all of us.