ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Royals 2013 Kansas City Royals Repository Thread (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=267564)

Archie F. Swin 07-31-2013 11:39 AM

Thank God its almost over. I can stop mainlining twitter.

duncan_idaho 07-31-2013 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archie F. Swin (Post 9847681)
Petro suggested that we have the personnel (coaches) to make weeks better.

Because he likes Ned Yost? I don't know that Ned can make him magically lose 15-20 pounds.

Back to Kennedy...

Young, cheap, buy-low opportunity. He'd be a nice piece to move to LA if you really want Kendrick, but I think it also makes sense to buy him low with the intention of slotting him in the No. 2 or 3 spot in your rotation next year and the year after.

Dbacks don't want much for him. Joe Thatcher is a solid veteran LH reliever, and he's supposedly the key piece in their deal. He's tough on lefties but not dominant and gets rocked by righties. Gregerson is a good reliever, but not exactly Kimbrel or Rivera, either.

I'm confident KC COULD beat any package the Padres offer for Kennedy, but WILL it?

duncan_idaho 07-31-2013 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thurman merman (Post 9847699)
MLB Network is saying right now that the Padres are closing in on Kennedy.

Booo. Booo.

Pick up the phone, Dayton!

siberian khatru 07-31-2013 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 9847708)
Because he likes Ned Yost? I don't know that Ned can make him magically lose 15-20 pounds.

Back to Kennedy...

Young, cheap, buy-low opportunity. He'd be a nice piece to move to LA if you really want Kendrick, but I think it also makes sense to buy him low with the intention of slotting him in the No. 2 or 3 spot in your rotation next year and the year after.

Dbacks don't want much for him. Joe Thatcher is a solid veteran LH reliever, and he's supposedly the key piece in their deal. He's tough on lefties but not dominant and gets rocked by righties. Gregerson is a good reliever, but not exactly Kimbrel or Rivera, either.

I'm confident KC COULD beat any package the Padres offer for Kennedy, but WILL it?

Would you go Crow? Coleman? Herrera?

tk13 07-31-2013 11:50 AM

I guess we'll see what the next couple hours bring. Sure seems like the second wild card has taken some of the steam out of the trade deadline in general. Too many teams still in it, and some of the teams that aren't don't want to give away too much.
Posted via Mobile Device

duncan_idaho 07-31-2013 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by siberian khatru (Post 9847725)

Any of them.

WhawhaWhat 07-31-2013 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by siberian khatru (Post 9847725)

Hochevar and Wade Davis to their 'pen for Ian Kennedy!

siberian khatru 07-31-2013 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 9847731)
Any of them.

Thought you would.

Our friends at RR are saying Holland for Kennedy straight up. I pass on that.

duncan_idaho 07-31-2013 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by siberian khatru (Post 9847737)
Thought you would.

I would pass on that, too, because it's underselling Holland.

Plus, you're overselling the market. Gregerson and Thatcher are good, but not THAT good. That's the compensation you're competing against.

No need to offer that much. Would be like bidding for something in an auction and going 25 percent over your budget for the item... when the current bidding was at 50 percent of your budget.

WhawhaWhat 07-31-2013 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 9847708)

Double-A pitcher Matt Stites is in the Padres' offer for Kennedy, tweets Darren Smith of XX1090.

Stites is from Mizzou btw.

duncan_idaho 07-31-2013 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhawhaWhat (Post 9847749)
Double-A pitcher Matt Stites is in the Padres' offer for Kennedy, tweets Darren Smith of XX1090.

Stites is from Mizzou btw.

Stites is a small reliever.

Royals could counter that by offering someone like Kyle Smith, Jason Adam, etc. Even Will Smith.

siberian khatru 07-31-2013 12:01 PM

Looking to beef up a late-innings relief corps that is tied for second in the majors with 19 blown saves, the Diamondbacks are close to sending starter Ian Kennedy to the Padres for lefty set-up man Joe Thatcher, according to CBSSports.com sources.

The Diamondbacks also would receive other players – likely two minor-leaguers – in the deal with Thatcher.

The Angels and another unidentified team or two also have been engaging the Diamondbacks in trade discussions for Kennedy, 28, who is in the midst of a rough season.

A 21-game winner in 2011, Kennedy is 3-8 with a 5.23 ERA in 21 starts for the Diamondbacks this season. He also has a 1.419 WHIP, the worst of his career for a full season.

Among the reasons he is attractive to the Padres is that he is controllable through 2015.

Thatcher, 31, is 3-1 with a 2.10 ERA in 50 games for the Padres this summer and has been a dependable bullpen piece for them since 2009.

Only the Cubs, with 22 blown saves, have coughed up more save opportunities than the Diamondbacks, who now stand 3 ½ games behind the scorching-hot Dodgers in the NL West.

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/blog/sc...in-trade-talks

Mr. Laz 07-31-2013 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archie F. Swin (Post 9847681)
Petro suggested that we have the personnel (coaches) to make weeks better.

if we were good at making players better we wouldn't need to trade for anyone

alnorth 07-31-2013 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by siberian khatru (Post 9847737)
Thought you would.

hey, I'm all on board the "closers are overrated" theory, but one of the exceptions is when you are chasing down 4 teams from 5 games back with 2 months to go and you are staring down the barrel of needing to win a bunch of 1-run games because of our light offense. If its 2015 and our window has closed and we can't win then sure, sell off the closer.

siberian khatru 07-31-2013 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alnorth (Post 9847767)
hey, I'm all on board the "closers are overrated" theory, but one of the exceptions is when you are chasing down 4 teams from 5 games back with 2 months to go and you are staring down the barrel of needing to win a bunch of 1-run games because of our light offense. If its 2015 and our window has closed and we can't win then sure, sell off the closer.

Agreed. I was fully in favor of trading Soria because we weren't going anywhere soon. But if you have a two-year window to compete, I think you hang on to Holland.