ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Royals 2013 Kansas City Royals Repository Thread (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=267564)

WhawhaWhat 07-31-2013 12:05 PM

Saw this on Deadspin and it made me laugh -

Chad Qualls Celebrates Like A Marlin Should.

http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/18vi...f/k-medium.gif

The Marlins are a gift.

tk13 07-31-2013 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alnorth (Post 9847767)
hey, I'm all on board the "closers are overrated" theory, but one of the exceptions is when you are chasing down 4 teams from 5 games back with 2 months to go and you are staring down the barrel of needing to win a bunch of 1-run games because of our light offense. If its 2015 and our window has closed and we can't win then sure, sell off the closer.

I think the bigger issue is the guy who is replacing him hasn't 100% proven he will keep the ball in the park. If Herrera was destroying worlds I'd consider the idea.
Posted via Mobile Device

duncan_idaho 07-31-2013 12:12 PM

Sounds like Kennedy is San Diego bound.

This could end up being a deal we look back at and wish KC had gotten involved in. Strong candidate to bounce back, I think. As long as he stops throwing at guys' heads.

DJJasonp 07-31-2013 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 9847800)
Sounds like Kennedy is San Diego bound.

This could end up being a deal we look back at and wish KC had gotten involved in. Strong candidate to bounce back, I think. As long as he stops throwing at guys' heads.

If you made that trade, it would give you the wiggle room to deal Santana (and hope Kennedy is a replacement for Santana's '13 production)......and get a legit 2B.

Rams Fan 07-31-2013 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhawhaWhat (Post 9847782)
The Marlins are a gif

FYP

Bowser 07-31-2013 12:18 PM

We haven't flirted with .500 this late in the season since 2003, and we are literally going to sit on our hands today. I just don't understand.

duncan_idaho 07-31-2013 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJJasonp (Post 9847815)
If you made that trade, it would give you the wiggle room to deal Santana (and hope Kennedy is a replacement for Santana's '13 production)......and get a legit 2B.

Yes. And allow you to focus on adding a 2B or RF bat in FA and stay out of the thin SP pool.

2014 rotation:

Shields
Kennedy
Guthrie
Duffy
Davis (Zimmer, Ventura breathing down his neck).

Kennedy would have an excellent bounce-back chance in KC's park and with KC's defense behind him. And would be controlled through 2015, giving you a better bridge to post-Santana and post-Shields life.

Rams Fan 07-31-2013 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 9847824)
We haven't flirted with .500 this late in the season since 2003, and we are literally going to sit on our hands today. I just don't understand.

I think GMDM is making the right move. The only way I could see it being worth while for the Royals if they were able to acquire someone for the long run. It's not worth mortgaging the future for a PO run for a team that is on the fringe of being in the hunt. A month from now could be a different story, which could lead to Santana being dealt if they fall out of the hunt or see them acquire a rental if they are a game or 2 back from a WC or the division.

Messier 07-31-2013 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 9847824)

I agree.

I think the wrong approach is to say, things are going pretty good right now. Lets not rock the boat.

siberian khatru 07-31-2013 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rams Fan (Post 9847837)
I think GMDM is making the right move. The only way I could see it being worth while for the Royals if they were able to acquire someone for the long run. It's not worth mortgaging the future for a PO run for a team that is on the fringe of being in the hunt. A month from now could be a different story, which could lead to Santana being dealt if they fall out of the hunt or see them acquire a rental if they are a game or 2 back from a WC or the division.

I think most of us are advocating trading for players who help us in 2014 at least, if not also 2015 (such as Kendrick or Kennedy). I agree, I'm not interested in a two-month rental unless it's basically a giveaway for a lottery ticket prospect.

mr. tegu 07-31-2013 12:24 PM

Reports seem to indicate we have inquired about Kendrick so we can at least know he wants to improve the 2B position. How badly is the question.

Rams Fan 07-31-2013 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by siberian khatru (Post 9847851)
I think most of us are advocating trading for players who help us in 2014 at least, if not also 2015 (such as Kendrick or Kennedy). I agree, I'm not interested in a two-month rental unless it's basically a giveaway for a lottery ticket prospect.

I think the Royals are also in a much better position than the Indians. They won't be able to keep it up and the situation they are in pretty much forces them to be buyers.

Chief_For_Life58 07-31-2013 12:27 PM

i want MOARRR WINS!!!!

Mama Hip Rockets 07-31-2013 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhawhaWhat (Post 9847782)
Saw this on Deadspin and it made me laugh -

Chad Qualls Celebrates Like A Marlin Should.

http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/18vi...f/k-medium.gif

The Marlins are a gift.

ROFLROFLROFL

Do you have a link? I want to share this.

Bowser 07-31-2013 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by siberian khatru (Post 9847851)

Yep, this.

Frankly I feel like us winning 9 of 11 to start the second half completely sent GMDM into a tailspin. We play well and show signs of life at a time he totally didn't expect it, and he is caught with his pants down in regards to improving the team THIS season to make a run. Maybe (hopefully) I'm completely wrong and we'll make a move soon, but it just doesn't have the "feel" of us getting anything done.