ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life *.* 2014 General Fitness Thread *.* (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=280149)

Marcellus 03-26-2014 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spicy McHaggis (Post 10519184)
I was a sprinter in high school/college and I've never had any desire at all to do any sort of distance work. That being said, I was in Chicago with my significant other back in October so she could run the marathon. Afterwards, I went out for drinks (and then more drinks) with all these folks from Portland. Maybe it was the shared sense of accomplishment and camaraderie they had, though more likely it was the 9th beer of the night that did it, but I began to think, "**** it. Maybe I should try this."

Fast-forward, I'm getting ready to run my first half and starting to look at fulls.

I feel better than I have in 5 years, I've got more energy when I go play pick-up on the weekends and God help me, I actually have started looking forward to my runs.

Sidebar: I used to get ligament pain as my training increased. I switched to Newton shoes about 3 months ago and I love these things. Definitely help me maintain good form.

Good luck! I have been running for 3 years and have run 3 full marathons in the last 10 months. I hope to run my 4th in about 5 weeks but I am fighting a hamstring injury.

I have no idea how you run in Newtons. I couldn't do it.

I lifted for a long time before taking up running and still do both. Its a good combo but you give some things up on your lifting when training for marathons and such. Your body can only deal with so much stress.

Dunit35 03-26-2014 08:14 PM

Walked all day without any shin pain. Took my shoes off and within minutes of walking, my shins started hurting.

Pepe Silvia 03-26-2014 08:36 PM

I don't work out anymore, I just try not to get fat.

Simply Red 03-26-2014 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spicy McHaggis (Post 10519184)
I was a sprinter in high school/college and I've never had any desire at all to do any sort of distance work. That being said, I was in Chicago with my significant other back in October so she could run the marathon. Afterwards, I went out for drinks (and then more drinks) with all these folks from Portland. Maybe it was the shared sense of accomplishment and camaraderie they had, though more likely it was the 9th beer of the night that did it, but I began to think, "**** it. Maybe I should try this."

Fast-forward, I'm getting ready to run my first half and starting to look at fulls.

I feel better than I have in 5 years, I've got more energy when I go play pick-up on the weekends and God help me, I actually have started looking forward to my runs.

Sidebar: I used to get ligament pain as my training increased. I switched to Newton shoes about 3 months ago and I love these things. Definitely help me maintain good form.

Newton shoes?

jiveturkey 03-27-2014 08:02 AM

Stiff leg deadlifts - the destroyers of hamstrings (in a good way).

Aspengc8 03-27-2014 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jiveturkey (Post 10519859)

Wait till you try a glute-ham raise. First time I ever did them I was limping around like a zombie.

RunKC 03-27-2014 08:57 AM

Simply red, I tried stir fry.

I am a fan

luv 03-27-2014 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jiveturkey (Post 10519859)

That's what I'm thinking of as straight leg, right? Where, you find that position where your legs are slightly bent, hips back, and you squeeze your abs and your butt as you lift. Your knees should never move?

Simply Red 03-27-2014 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 10519989)
Simply red, I tried stir fry.

I am a fan

http://i57.tinypic.com/jt9jiu.gif

Aspengc8 03-27-2014 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luv (Post 10520022)
That's what I'm thinking of as straight leg, right? Where, you find that position where your legs are slightly bent, hips back, and you squeeze your abs and your butt as you lift. Your knees should never move?

knees bent and pushing your hips back is a romanian deadlift, straight leg is well, straight, and the barbell will travel a lot lower. SLDL are usually done while standing on a platform to get a deeper stretch. Romanians involve more hip flexion.

Simply Red 03-27-2014 06:09 PM

Today at the Gym I was 100% for the first time in a while - Feels good, I weigh 183 still.

I think I loaded on protein too much today - I had about three shakes - w/ 1.5 scoops - is this okay?

Also, I ate chicken + broccoli + a little yellow rice.

Oh - I rec'd my 5 lbs of Chocolate Mint ON whey today. I say it's equal to that of their Chocolate Malt flavor - mixes well. I found ON mixer bottles on amazon and bought four of them - they were literally about $3/per. (and they're large)

Hammock Parties 03-27-2014 06:11 PM

Nothing wrong with getting 100g of protein in shakes. Most efficient way to do it.

Simply Red 03-27-2014 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Douche Baggins (Post 10521253)
Nothing wrong with getting 100g of protein in shakes. Most efficient way to do it.

Yeah bud.

I have noticed acne pop ups since the protein switch - nothing major - but is there any evidence that whey protein can increase acne? I'm going to research it a little later on when I hit the meth.

Hammock Parties 03-27-2014 06:15 PM

Try showering.

Cephalic Trauma 03-27-2014 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Douche Baggins (Post 10521261)
Try showering.

ROFL