ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Royals 2012 Kansas City Royals Repository Thread (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=254372)

Nightfyre 11-15-2012 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9120928)
Easy there, tiger.

I know you need pitching, but Hellickson is not the kind of pitcher you trade Wil Myers for.

Moore - yes. And in fact, both teams would really have to consider that offer. Hellickson, hell no.

The Cards seem full in their OF, but if you're the Royals, would you be intrigued by Shelby Miller for Myers?

No.

mr. tegu 11-15-2012 12:00 PM

How about we keep all of our offensive players that are in the majors or ML ready and just sign a top free agent pitcher. The money spent will be made back 10 times over once we start winning. If we can't do that then trade the players further away from the majors. I don't care if we have to trade 3 or 4 for one. That's better than losing Myers, Billy, Gordon, etc.

duncan_idaho 11-15-2012 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr. tegu (Post 9120936)
How about we keep all of our offensive players that are in the majors or ML ready and just sign a top free agent pitcher. The money spent will be made back 10 times over once we start winning. If we can't do that then trade the players further away from the majors. I don't care if we have to trade 3 or 4 for one. That's better than losing Myers, Billy, Gordon, etc.

I wouldn't argue with that approach, though purchasing a true ace on the FA market is difficult. If you trade for a Shelby Miller or a Matt Moore, that's what you're trying to acquire.

And I'm all for trading people in the Ventura/etc. group for pitching.

The problem when you try to match up the Rays and Royals is that they need MLB-ready bats, and the only one KC really has to bargain with is Myers.

DJ's left nut 11-15-2012 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr. tegu (Post 9120936)

They just don't hit the market that often.

Greinke's an exception, and good luck to the Royals if they think they're going to outbid Arte Moreno for him. They dumped Santana, Haren and Hunter to clear space for the Greinke offer and they're sitting on a cost-controlled Trout (with a well under-value Weaver as well). Not to mention an astronomical TV deal.

The Angels will obliterate any offer the Royals can make for Greinke.

It isn't as simple as "well just go sign one". There are only about 5 teams in baseball that can pull that stunt and the Royals aren't one of them.

If they want a legitimate #1 or #2 caliber starter, they're going to have to trade for one. And with their payroll restrictions (self-imposed or otherwise), they're going to have to trade for a cost-controlled one. So you're looking at guys like Moore or Rosenthal; young guys that have significant upside and some ML success.

Alternatively you could go prospect shopping and pursue someone like Miller. I don't think the O's would surrender Bundy for anything, but you have to at least make the call. The Braves would be a real nice place to look as they do have a ton of young SP, but Hudson's older, Hanson's injured and now Beachy's blown his elbow. The time to knock on those doors was last year; they may be looking at Medlen/Minor/Delgado/Teheran as less luxuries and more soon to be necessities at this point.

Jenson71 11-15-2012 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 9120959)
I wouldn't argue with that approach, though purchasing a true ace on the FA market is difficult. If you trade for a Shelby Miller or a Matt Moore, that's what you're trying to acquire.

And I'm all for trading people in the Ventura/etc. group for pitching.

The problem when you try to match up the Rays and Royals is that they need MLB-ready bats, and the only one KC really has to bargain with is Myers.

If we get unload Myers, doesn't that leave us with, with . . . Frenchy?

duncan_idaho 11-15-2012 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9120928)
Easy there, tiger.

I know you need pitching, but Hellickson is not the kind of pitcher you trade Wil Myers for.

Moore - yes. And in fact, both teams would really have to consider that offer. Hellickson, hell no.

The Cards seem full in their OF, but if you're the Royals, would you be intrigued by Shelby Miller for Myers?

I don't know if I'd say "intrigued," but that's definitely something I'd talk to the Cardinals about. Miller definitely returned to form in the second half.

I'm not sure a straight-up swap would work at this point... Myers' stock is a bit higher than Miller's right now, though it probably isn't a gap wide enough to pry another blue-chipper away from St. Louis (Jenkins, etc.). More likely a lottery ticket or two.

duncan_idaho 11-15-2012 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Literature (Post 9120962)
If we get unload Myers, doesn't that leave us with, with . . . Frenchy?

Potentially, yes.

But impact OF bats are much easier to find than impact starting pitching (at least if you're the Royals and talking FA).

6 years of Shelby Miller or 7 years of Matt Moore are incredibly valuable. And the type of return you should be looking for if you move someone like Wil Myers.

SAUTO 11-15-2012 12:24 PM

Myers stays
Posted via Mobile Device

Codered 11-15-2012 12:44 PM

You have to consider any offer for a legit #1 or #2 Starting pitcher if your the Royals right now.

Ebolapox 11-15-2012 01:07 PM

are we sure that shelby miller =/= mike montgomery?

SAUTO 11-15-2012 01:31 PM

Myers is the first guy since Bo that could potentially hit 40 home runs for this franchise and people want to trade him. SMH
Posted via Mobile Device

DeezNutz 11-15-2012 01:35 PM

Trading Myers at this point for a pitching "prospect" would be categorically absurd.

SAUTO 11-15-2012 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeezNutz (Post 9121094)
Trading Myers at this point for a pitching "prospect" would be categorically absurd.

THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A "PITCHING PROSPECT" DAMMIT.

when will you ****ers learn?
Posted via Mobile Device

siberian khatru 11-15-2012 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeezNutz (Post 9121094)

You're talking Miller, not Moore, right?

DeezNutz 11-15-2012 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by siberian khatru (Post 9121104)
You're talking Miller, not Moore, right?

Yes, but I'd rather trade Hosmer for Moore, if possible.