ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Game of Thrones (spoiler-free zone) (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=244344)

Kraus 06-04-2012 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawk (Post 8657205)
They did a poor job of explaining Jon Snow's part I thought, but basically Quorin Halfhand wanted Jon to join the wildlings to get information, and he wanted to avoid being tortured to death, so he staged the anger toward Jon and the fight so Jon would kill him and the wildlings would accept Jon as a traitor to the NW and let him join the wildlings. But Quorin reminds Jon of his NW vows as he is dying.

I got that - didn't think it was that confusing. Though after last episode this one was kind of anti-climactic.

Swanman 06-04-2012 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawk (Post 8657205)
That was fun! Loved the Iron Maiden zombie white walker thing at the end, he looked cool.

Loved the dragons lighting up that creepy ass Pyatt Pree and then Dany locking Xaro and the traitor woman in the wall safe. Dany can be downright cruel if you cross her, just like when Viserys got killed or she burned that witch alive that killed Drogo and her son.

They did a poor job of explaining Jon Snow's part I thought, but basically Quorin Halfhand wanted Jon to join the wildlings to get information, and he wanted to avoid being tortured to death, so he staged the anger toward Jon and the fight so Jon would kill him and the wildlings would accept Jon as a traitor to the NW and let him join the wildlings. But Quorin reminds Jon of his NW vows as he is dying.

Quorin knew he was likely dead and he saw the value of Jon going undercover within the wildling army (he says so in a previous episode). He had a feeling they would accept Jon if he killed one of his own. It was much more clear in the book what was going on there.

keg in kc 06-04-2012 02:11 PM

That was one of the detriments of only having 10 episodes. They didn't really have time to establish who Quorin was, just how much of a badass he really was and then set up his sacrifice in the end. That's one of the few real missed beats they've had in the series so far. That's such a pivotal part of the book, and for setting up Jon's role in the next book(s). It will work out fine in the end, I think, they'll get to the same point, but I thought it could have been done much better than it was.

Iowanian 06-04-2012 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The God Hypothesis (Post 8656269)
I haven't read the books either and I thought the entire season was tits. Can't wait til season 3!!

I didn't plan on liking this show...was fully prepared to make jokes about dungeons and dragons nerds....and knew the wife would hate it.

Daenarys, the stupid ass dragons and the zombie bullshit is really the only part of this I don't enjoy. I'm ready for that yellow haired nag
to get frozen to death in a snowball.

We both really enjoy this show and are left waiting for season 3.

2 years ago, I don't know if I'd have read these books if you paid me, but I'm thinking about it now.

vailpass 06-04-2012 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 8655858)
They already have. Most of the stuff with Jamie Lannister was book 3.

Storm in particular is so dense I would imagine it will require multiple seasons.

Good points.

Fire Me Boy! 06-04-2012 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iowanian (Post 8657956)
I didn't plan on liking this show...was fully prepared to make jokes about dungeons and dragons nerds....and knew the wife would hate it.

Daenarys, the stupid ass dragons and the zombie bullshit is really the only part of this I don't enjoy. I'm ready for that yellow haired nag
to get frozen to death in a snowball.

We both really enjoy this show and are left waiting for season 3.

2 years ago, I don't know if I'd have read these books if you paid me, but I'm thinking about it now.

Interesting. My wife and I both really like Daenarys.

Iowanian 06-04-2012 03:57 PM

Wife likes her, but doesn't "get" her story line. I don't like anything about her story line so far, other than when I anticipated drago chopping off heads.

I badly want terrible things to happen to Joffrey and the lannisters, sans the Midget.

Hawk 06-04-2012 04:49 PM

I will say this, Book 3 Dany is WAY better than book 2 Dany, so maybe you'll enjoy her story more next season. I must admit to being disappointed that we did not get any Dany nudity this season.

vailpass 06-04-2012 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 8657968)
Interesting. My wife and I both really like Daenarys.

The tv show doesn't do a very good job of bringing out Danny's character IMHO. I can see where someone that hasn't read the books wouldn't be too impressed by her so far.

keg in kc 06-04-2012 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawk (Post 8658100)
I will say this, Book 3 Dany is WAY better than book 2 Dany, so maybe you'll enjoy her story more next season.

Spoiler!

keg in kc 06-04-2012 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 8658111)
The tv show doesn't do a very good job of bringing out Danny's character IMHO. I can see where someone that hasn't read the books wouldn't be too impressed by her so far.

I would argue it's the opposite. I think she's been a much better character on tv than she ever was in the books to this point. If I remember right, she was even lower on my list at the end of book 2 than Sansa (with whom they've also done a better job).

Her story never took off for me until book 3. Prior to that, my reactions were usually between "oh shit another dany chapter" and *flips 20 pages forward to something interesting*.

Aside from the House of the Undying, which was so incredibly more cool in the book than it was on TV. Although I understand why they removed all the foreshadowing.

Bambi 06-04-2012 08:55 PM

Who was jon snow fighting at the end and what did that have to do with anything?

And with the old guy telling theon to go join the knight's watch? Come on, I feel like that group is laughed at by everyone. They obviousLy will be no match for Bootstrap Bill and his band of pirates.

Los Pollos Hermanos 06-04-2012 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wickedson (Post 8659012)
Who was jon snow fighting at the end and what did that have to do with anything?

And with the old guy telling theon to go join the knight's watch? Come on, I feel like that group is laughed at by everyone. They obviousLy will be no match for Bootstrap Bill and his band of pirates.

It's no wonder you didn't like season 2. You clearly didn't pay attention.

dirk digler 06-04-2012 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swanman (Post 8656981)
People aren't losing interest. It's just two haters on a message board.

I am not a hater. I have stated many times that I loved Season 1 and because it was so good I think I set my expectations too high for Season 2.

Bambi 06-04-2012 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Los Pollos Hermanos (Post 8659054)
It's no wonder you didn't like season 2. You clearly didn't pay attention.

I admit Jon Snow's part kinda bored me. But I didn't get the fight at the end at all. What was going on?