ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Books Ok for the high brow crowd what books you are reading (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=137161)

patteeu 06-16-2009 07:31 AM

I just finished Blind Side based on recommendations here and I thought it was quite entertaining/interesting.

I'm currently reading Douglas Feith's "War and Decision: Inside the Pentagon at the Dawn of the War on Terrorism". It's a surprisingly well written, very interesting book that explains the Bush administration decision-making process from the point of view of a top official in the Pentagon. Feith explains the administration thinking on the GWoT in a way that the administration's communcations experts seemed incapable of doing for the better part of 8 years. He exposes many of the false allegations made against the Bush administration during that time but doesn't shy away from leveling criticism (including self-criticism) where he believes it's warranted.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...SH20_OU01_.jpg

blaise 06-16-2009 07:45 AM

The last two things I read were both plays:
The Pillowman, by McDonagh and The Wild Duck, by Ibsen. Both were good for different reasons. I would recommend the Pillowman definitely though. Very imaginative with great dialogue and pretty intense.

HC_Chief 06-16-2009 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irishjayhawk (Post 5842067)
I guess I forgot my current books.

I'm reading 1984. Yes, the book I failed to read when it was assigned in high school.

And then after that going with James Rollins' The Last Oracle.

Great book. My favorite by Orwell is <i>Animal Farm</i>, but 1984 is a close second.

Latest book I've been reading: <i>Atlas Shrugged</i>

Unfortunately someone else put it on hold at the library, so I cannot renew. Think I'll just buy a copy.

Lzen 06-16-2009 10:37 AM

Right now I am on A Canticle For Leibowitz (thanks for the suggestion, Adept Havelock). Unfortunately, the local library did not have this in a paper copy. I am listening to it on tape. That part sucks because the only place I have a consistent ability to listen to a tape is in my truck (yeah, they still built those with cassete players and cd players).

Baby Lee 06-16-2009 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irishjayhawk (Post 5842067)
I guess I forgot my current books.

I'm reading 1984. Yes, the book I failed to read when it was assigned in high school.

And then after that going with James Rollins' The Last Oracle.

When

Spoiler!

That was, though the reference didn't exist yet, the moment I wanted to put a book in the freezer like Joey did with Misery on Friends.

Bowser 06-16-2009 12:07 PM

Got two going right now -

The Last Oracle by James Rollins, and

The Physics of the Impossible by Michio Kaku

Jilly 06-16-2009 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 5842882)
Got two going right now -

The Last Oracle by James Rollins, and

The Pysics of the Impossible by Michio Kaku

You read?

Bowser 06-16-2009 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jilly (Post 5842883)
You read?

I have a Kindle. It reads to me.

Jilly 06-16-2009 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 5842896)
I have a Kindle. It reads to me.

I bet it does.

I
bet
it
does.

Bowser 06-16-2009 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jilly (Post 5842899)
I bet it does.

I
bet
it
does.

Gives me time to make sure I don't color outside the lines, and all.

Jilly 06-16-2009 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 5842906)
Gives me time to make sure I don't color outside the lines, and all.

I thought your cool mommy helped you with that?

ChiTown 06-16-2009 12:17 PM

Rich Dad, Poor Dad

&

Re-re--reading (for the 3rd time) Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand. What a great read.......

Bowser 06-16-2009 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jilly (Post 5842911)
I thought your cool mommy helped you with that?

This conversation has come to a proverbial fork in the road. Instead of choosing which path to take (which both will undoubtedly lead to dark and bad places), I am going to take the Tao/Buddhist-like and Powerman 5000 stance, and pretend that None of it is Real.

Jilly 06-16-2009 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 5842923)
This conversation has come to a proverbial fork in the road. Instead of choosing which path to take (which both will undoubtedly lead to dark and bad places), I am going to take the Tao/Buddhist-like and Powerman 5000 stance, and pretend that None of it is Real.

You, friend, are such a chicken.

FYI - I currently am reading Same-Sex Marriage Pro and Con: A Reader, by Andrew Sullivan.

Doesn't that sound fun?

blaise 06-16-2009 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jilly (Post 5842933)
You, friend, are such a chicken.

FYI - I currently am reading Same-Sex Marriage Pro and Con: A Reader, by Andrew Sullivan.

Doesn't that sound fun?

Yep, a real gay old time.