ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   NFL Draft Geno Smith fans roll call (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=263890)

duncan_idaho 01-10-2013 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefnj2 (Post 9302920)
being compared to a guy that looks like he is a 100% bust is NOT a good thing.

Blaine Gabbert's pre-draft grade was very good. That's what the comparison was to. The guy is pretty damn close to what you would come up with if genetically engineering an NFL quarterback.

Coogs 01-10-2013 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefnj2 (Post 9302920)
being compared to a guy that looks like he is a 100% bust is NOT a good thing.

What's that ol' saying? "Hindsight is 20/20"? It's the draft grade they are comparing... not the finished prooduct.

DJ's left nut 01-10-2013 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9302866)
There seems to be a TON of concern that Albert's back problems are bigger than anybody thinks.

That's fair. Back problems are always a serious concern for O-lineman. They derailed Gaither and they'll likely de-rail Long as well. Alt fought them his entire career.

They're not to be ignored.

Chiefnj2 01-10-2013 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coogs (Post 9302955)
What's that ol' saying? "Hindsight is 20/20"? It's the draft grade they are comparing... not the finished prooduct.

Did you think Gabbert was a #1 pick?

philfree 01-10-2013 12:00 PM

Draft grades? Those two guys really aren't anything alike. Geno is quick twitch and Gabbart is not.

ncCHIEFfan 01-10-2013 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ebolapox (Post 9302867)
he didn't say he WANTED it to happen, he just said he was preparing himself for it. you know, battered fan syndrome.

Yea, I guess. With all these positive moves lately I can't help but to feel rejuvenated. The healing has begun. Just trying to share my motivation!

ChiefMojo 01-10-2013 12:03 PM

I thought Gabbert was going bust back before the combine. Missouri's offense didn't have him prepared for the NFL on multiple levels.

duncan_idaho 01-10-2013 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefnj2 (Post 9302959)

From a physical standpoint? Yes.

He's also very bright and a hard worker.

For Geno Smith to grade out "comparably" to Blaine Gabbert, he has to be grading out pretty closely (75-80 percent) physically. He also has a better track record, has shown he is better at handling pressure, making reads, and displays MUCH better touch.

Coogs 01-10-2013 12:05 PM

Quote:

To be fair, I hardly ever watched Gabbert. But in that draft class, no I would not have taken him #1. Thing is, this draft class does not appear to be anywhere close to the talent that was taken at the top of the draft... outside of the QB position.

DJ's left nut 01-10-2013 12:08 PM

Quote:

Gabbert was as good a prospect as Smith, probably a better one.

He's a better athlete and has a stronger arm. And yes, he was an absolute football junkie. Came from a football family; a gym rat and a very good leader. He truly was an excellent prospect. What he also had was extremely poor footwork and a tendency to stare at the rush.

He had so many skills that weren't coachable and his flaws all seemed like they were. Unfortunately, he just hasn't progressed a single bit. I'd still give up our 5th for him and possibly even our 4th. I think there's a lot of talent there and a good QB coach (and more QB-friendly system) could do wonders for him.

But just as he had coming out, there's an incredibly steep learning curve for him. He has a lot of work to do on learning progressions and seeing coverages.

If he can't, he's probably destined to be the next Rob Johnson; just another QB with excellent physical skills (that ironically, Jacksonville drafted and !@#$ed up) that never puts it all together.

DJ's left nut 01-10-2013 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 9302988)
From a physical standpoint? Yes.

He's also very bright and a hard worker.

For Geno Smith to grade out "comparably" to Blaine Gabbert, he has to be grading out pretty closely (75-80 percent) physically. He also has a better track record, has shown he is better at handling pressure, making reads, and displays MUCH better touch.

He'll only be 23 next season. He'd be the same age as most red-shirt Seniors.

I just cannot believe that he can't be molded. The tools for the kid are absolutely immense, he's a hard worker and as coachable as they came. His teammates liked him a hell of a lot more than they liked Daniel.

Would you surrender a pick for him? What round?

duncan_idaho 01-10-2013 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9303025)
He'll only be 23 next season. He'd be the same age as most red-shirt Seniors.

I just cannot believe that he can't be molded. The tools for the kid are absolutely immense, he's a hard worker and as coachable as they came. His teammates liked him a hell of a lot more than they liked Daniel.

Would you surrender a pick for him? What round?

I would be OK with moving a pick for Gabbert. As you pointed out, the physical tools are all there, and he's a likeable guy who works very hard (and isn't a douchebag).

Probably not more than a 4th or 5th round pick in this year's draft, or possibly a 2nd/3rd in next's years.

Will all depend on the new leadership in JAX, I guess.

htismaqe 01-10-2013 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ncCHIEFfan (Post 9302980)
Yea, I guess. With all these positive moves lately I can't help but to feel rejuvenated. The healing has begun. Just trying to share my motivation!

I was feeling rejuvenated for a while.

But I tend to look at it in terms of probability.

If Reid turns out to suck, we'll get a new coach in 5 years or 6 or whatever.

We might not EVER get the #1 pick again.

Chiefnj2 01-10-2013 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9303004)
Gabbert was as good a prospect as Smith, probably a better one.

He's a better athlete and has a stronger arm. And yes, he was an absolute football junkie. Came from a football family; a gym rat and a very good leader. He truly was an excellent prospect. What he also had was extremely poor footwork and a tendency to stare at the rush.

He had so many skills that weren't coachable and his flaws all seemed like they were. Unfortunately, he just hasn't progressed a single bit. I'd still give up our 5th for him and possibly even our 4th. I think there's a lot of talent there and a good QB coach (and more QB-friendly system) could do wonders for him.

But just as he had coming out, there's an incredibly steep learning curve for him. He has a lot of work to do on learning progressions and seeing coverages.

If he can't, he's probably destined to be the next Rob Johnson; just another QB with excellent physical skills (that ironically, Jacksonville drafted and !@#$ed up) that never puts it all together.

Gabbert should not have been a highly ranked prospect. He had something like a 30% completion percentage on passes over 15 yards in a simplified offensive system and was horrible on 3rd down.

ncCHIEFfan 01-10-2013 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9303079)
I was feeling rejuvenated for a while.

But I tend to look at it in terms of probability.

If Reid turns out to suck, we'll get a new coach in 5 years or 6 or whatever.

We might not EVER get the #1 pick again.

I agree and I hope we never do! Let's get it right Andy. I just cannot see any other position/player that would warrant a #1 in this draft