ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   CONTROVERSIAL: Paper due the 11th. (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=111364)

JohnnyV13 03-04-2005 04:56 PM

Nyghtfire,

That statistic IS somewhat distorting in that its driven mostly by loss of insect species from chopping down rainforest in South America.

The underlying premise of your stat is that "the world is dying b/c we are losing species". Yet, sheer number of species is not necessarily a measure of a productive ecosystem. For example, take pre-industrial europe vs. South America. South America would had vast numbers more species.....but the LACK of species in europe did not mean it was an "unhealthy" ecosystem.

However, our rainforest policy has been a disaster that we have been well aware of for over 20 years. The problem isn't so much that you are simply destroying species, because extinction is a fact of biology. As conditions change, species go extinct. The problem with the rainforest is that after you chop it down and farm it...in not too many generations, you lose the water in the system and you've created non-productive desert land (see North Africa).

Humans changing ecosystems IS not necessarily a problem, its simply an accelerated selection pressure on the system. What is the problem is when you reshape the environment into something less productive in the long term.

Nightfyre 03-04-2005 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnyV13
Nyghtfire,

That statistic IS somewhat distorting in that its driven mostly by loss of insect species from chopping down rainforest in South America.

The underlying premise of your stat is that "the world is dying b/c we are losing species". Yet, sheer number of species is not necessarily a measure of a productive ecosystem. For example, take pre-industrial europe vs. South America. South America would had vast numbers more species.....but the LACK of species in europe did not mean it was an "unhealthy" ecosystem.

However, our rainforest policy has been a disaster that we have been well aware of for over 20 years. The problem isn't so much that you are simply destroying species, because extinction is a fact of biology. As conditions change, species go extinct. The problem with the rainforest is that after you chop it down and farm it...in not too many generations, you lose the water in the system and you've created non-productive desert land (see North Africa).

Humans changing ecosystems IS not necessarily a problem, its simply an accelerated selection pressure on the system. What is the problem is when you reshape the environment into something less productive in the long term.

Im using the extinction of species as a measure of environmental damage done relative to before the onset of the human race.

JohnnyV13 03-04-2005 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nightfyre
Im using the extinction of species as a measure of environmental damage done relative to before the onset of the human race.

My exact point is that your assertion is a misuse of this stat. My statement is that a productive environment and numbers of species aren't exactly the same things.

JohnnyV13 03-04-2005 06:05 PM

LOLOL..

you know..i could really help you on this topic. I have an undergrad molecular bio degree, 3 semesters of grad school....then decided to go to law school. After being a bio tech patent lawyer....i decided to work on a night school MBA, where i studied some economics.

SO i know lots about social engineering b/c law, at its core, is about using the coercive force of government to change behavior.

I also am very fond of a subject i took in grad school...call Sociobiology which looks at how darwinian natural selection operates on human behavior.

Nightfyre 03-04-2005 08:50 PM

I would appreciate that.

Hammock Parties 03-04-2005 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCChiefsMan
white trash (or all trash in general) breeds at a much faster rate than normal, intelligent people. A generation or 2 from now the US will be extremely overpopulated with white trash. It starts when they have kids at 16 and then by 25 they have 4 or 5 kids and 15 years later those parents have 20 grandchildren.

I think mandatory abortion should be enforced

Bronco Fan reply: just shoot all the Chiefs fans.

Pants 03-04-2005 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gochiefs
Bronco Fan reply: just shoot all the Chiefs fans.

Do they all really think we all are sporting mullets, living in trailor parks, riding our 68 Camaros?

Hammock Parties 03-04-2005 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Metrolike
Do they all really think we all are sporting mullets, living in trailor parks, riding our 68 Camaros?

Go over to the Mane.

Pants 03-04-2005 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gochiefs
Go over to the Mane.

Umm, no.