ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Detailed KC Star article about John Dorsey (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=268858)

Sorter 01-13-2013 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcaj22 (Post 9316359)
not really.

all depth. Their BPA just fell that way.

I find it hard to believe drafting Casey Heyward includes a NEED when you have Sam Shields, Tramon Williams and Charles Woodson on the roster. Essentially drafting a 4th CB

Yeah the guy had a good year because he was sprung into starters minutes cause a couple of the guys ahead of him got hurt. But it's not like they know that on draft day. They are just a team that always drafts secondary, whether to groom and develop or as an insurance policy. Not because there is necessarily a need.

Same with LBer and D-line. Jerrell Worthy didnt fit a need other than a perfect talent to groom. Even then he's not a need that gets thrown into the starting lineup, he's still 2nd/3rd string depth.

That's just how they draft. Players for positional competition and grooming, not necessarily a positional need.

Worthy definitely fit a need considering how much they;ve struggled at DE since Cullen Jenkins left IMO.

RealSNR 01-13-2013 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bo's Pelini (Post 9316358)
Jimmy Clausen says what up though?

You would agree that there are better QBs in this draft across the board than Jimmy Clausen, yes?

mcaj22 01-13-2013 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorter (Post 9316363)
Worthy definitely fit a need considering how much they;ve struggled at DE since Cullen Jenkins left IMO.

need as a rotational player yes, not a need as a starter

Sorter 01-13-2013 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcaj22 (Post 9316368)
need as a rotational player yes, not a need as a starter

I think they drafted him expecting to contribute occasionally this year and step in as a starter next year.

NJChiefsFan 01-13-2013 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bo's Pelini (Post 9316358)
Jimmy Clausen says what up though?

And still the Panthers end up fixing their QB issue quicker than us. Picking a QB isn't a death sentence. It just means you are giving yourselves a chance to actually find one some day.

DaneMcCloud 01-13-2013 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 9316147)
Marty

ROFL

DaWolf 01-13-2013 11:07 PM

What they do with Albert will tell us everything that we need to know about how they plan on drafting with that first pick.

The QB position may also be dependent on how they end up ranking the QBs. For example, if Geno is the 7th best player on their board, they may not take him at 1 overall. But if they've got another QB on their board that they think will be around late first, I wouldn't be surprised to see them try to trade back into the first round later on and take that guy. We shall see...

chiefzilla1501 01-13-2013 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NJChiefsFan (Post 9316372)
And still the Panthers end up fixing their QB issue quicker than us. Picking a QB isn't a death sentence. It just means you are giving yourselves a chance to actually find one some day.

I wouldn't get too excited about "fixing" a QB situation with Cam as your long-term guy.

DaWolf 01-13-2013 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bad Guy (Post 9316083)
The guy's mantra is best player available. If he doesn't deem Geno Smith the best player available, even though his draft track record with GB is impeccable, this place is going to erupt something fierce.

I think another thing people are going to have to realize is that we're not hiring Dan Snyder here. We will not be going out and signing big ticket free agents in the offseason. This team is going to be built in the draft. People are going to go bonkers when we ignore free agent after free agent and go back to calling Clark cheap.

I have faith that Dorsey and Reid are going to get the draft right in the long term. But in the short term, I don't see us making many sexy moves...

BossChief 01-13-2013 11:12 PM

Who knows what Jimmy Clausen would have been if we drafted him when Charlie Weis was still here. That was a large part of why we liked him so much at the time.

I'd also like to say that it's unfair to judge the guy when he didn't have a chance to develop...lots of qbs have came out looking bad till the point where the game slows down for them kicks in.

RustShack 01-13-2013 11:13 PM

Reid is great with QB's. If he doesn't think Geno is his franchise QB, he can make him look good for a year and trade him for a killing if he really wants to to get his own guy.

But I think Geno has it. Hes very talented, has the size, has speed, and most importantly has arm strength and accuracy. His problems are fixable, and Reid is one of the best in the business to fix him. I think he has everything Dorsey also looks for in a QB.

Mecca 01-13-2013 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcaj22 (Post 9316359)
not really.

all depth. Their BPA just fell that way.

I find it hard to believe drafting Casey Hayward includes a NEED when you have Sam Shields, Tramon Williams and Charles Woodson on the roster. Essentially drafting a 4th CB. He at that time was their BPA on their board at that slot, regardless of who they had on their team and they still snatched him. Great insurance policy to groom if Sam Shields walks in a year or when Woodson retires. It's not an immediate need for the 2012 season, is the point.

Yeah the guy had a good year because he was sprung into starters minutes cause a couple of the guys ahead of him got hurt. But it's not like they know that on draft day. They are just a team that always drafts secondary, whether to groom and develop or as an insurance policy. Not because there is necessarily a need.

Same with LBer and D-line. Jerrell Worthy didnt fit a need other than a perfect talent to groom. Even then he's not a need that gets thrown into the starting lineup, he's still 2nd/3rd string depth.

That's just how they draft. Players for positional competition and grooming, not necessarily a positional need.

Woodson plays safety now so that opened a CB need.

TimeForWasp 01-13-2013 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaliforniaChief (Post 9316192)
I would assume that when you are choosing best player available, you're also weighting the position they play as a part of the formula you are using to determine your draft board.

BINGO!!!

The Franchise 01-13-2013 11:18 PM

I'd take Clausen over Stanzi as the 3rd QB.

BossChief 01-13-2013 11:18 PM

John Dorsey is planting the seeds for drafting Geno Smith. He has basically described him to a t.