ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs sign Kendrell Bell (ESPN Insider) (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=111799)

Ultra Peanut 03-08-2005 02:10 PM

Awesome. We pass up the guy who passed his physical due to injury concerns, then sign a guy who failed one.

tomahawk kid 03-08-2005 02:10 PM

I know someone has said this before, but a LB playing for the Chiefs with the last name of "Bell" can't be a bad thing.

R&GHomer 03-08-2005 02:11 PM

So what are Bell's injuries and how serious have they been. Also, what’s the story with Barber?

Mr. Laz 03-08-2005 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark M
For you and others, nothing they do will ever make up for their mistakes. Of course, we all know that KC is the only one that makes them, and that they are the only franchise with a cheap assed owner and incompetent GM ... ;)

and for people like you, nothing they ever do wrong will register in your brain pan. ;)

keg in kc 03-08-2005 02:12 PM

Pittsburgh beatwriter Ed Bouchette is on 610. Highlights:

Explosive playmaker, great at getting up the field and to the QB/RB

Pittsburgh couldn't find a way to use him on 3rd down, tried everything. Apparently studing the playbook and other teams is not a strength

CANNOT cover (not a good fit at OLB)

Thinks he's maybe a better fit as a 4-3 MLB than a 3-4 ILB, thinks he can make a real impact here if he can stay healthy

the Talking Can 03-08-2005 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark M

Acutally, I was more of a Hartwell kinda guy (fewer injury concernts), but Bell is young and an immediate upgrade.

Now ... trade for Surtain or sign Law to a performance-laiden contract and I'll be pleased with the FA period.

Then either draft Rolle, James or trade up for Williams and I'll be freaking estatic.

MM
~~:thumb:

my thoughts exactly..it seems clear now the plan is to sign the broken down injured guys, like Law, because they can structure their contracts more favorably...it is a risk, and sign of cheapness, but I'll take it...give me Bell and Law and let's roll the dice and hope they stay helathy

signing young healthy guys like Hartwell and Smoot is too much for this cheapos....

jspchief 03-08-2005 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TRR
Bell was right around 250 last season before his injury. He's played all over in Pitt's scheme. I just talked to my cousin who lives in Pitt (Big Steelers fan). He said Bell has lined up at all 4 LB positions in their 3-4 scheme, and that he has even played rush end as well.

Bell is known for very good pass coverage skills. There isn't a better athlete in the NFL at 6'1, 250. Maybe as good, but not better.

4-3 being the key element. He may have lined up outside, but I'll bet it was in blitz packages. There's no way he's an every down OLB.

Dave Lane 03-08-2005 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HolmeZz
Not going to complain if that happens, but it would be reeruned to give a double digit SB to Bell when we wouldn't even offer one to Hartwell.

Notice the word "guarantees" not signing bonus.

Dave

matts22 03-08-2005 02:15 PM

We can still get a CB.

I didn't like Rolle that well anyway. He is WAY overvalued. I would gladly give up a second for Surtain and get a much better CB for about the same money.

I'm very excited that we got Bell...he is a great athlete and instantly upgrades what I feel like were the worst LB core in the NFL. At least Carl didn't settle for Rob Morris or someone like that.

I'm still holding on to a small hope that we can still get Hartwell. He's supposed to announce his decision in the next 3 days, right?

Maybe Gunther talked Carl into switching to a 3-4...now that would be awesome. Fuji, Bell, Hartwell, and Fox/Barber/Draft Pick at LBs. Gives me chills thinking about it.

Logical 03-08-2005 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaKCMan AP
If we can sign Hartwell too I will be stoked. We would have a monster LB-crew with Bell AND Hartwell.

Also, its reported as a 7-year deal. How does this work with the CBA expiring?

What kind of 3 lb defense plays with two Inside Linebackers out of the three?

Glad we got Bell, would have preferred Hartwell, but I am forgetting about him now.

Mr. Laz 03-08-2005 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc
if he can stay healthy

that about sums it up.

considering the serious injury to Barber, my starting linebackers would be:

WLB- Mitchell (work hard on his coverage skills this TC ... he has the speed)

MLB- Kendrall bell

SSLB-fujita (not signed, but restricted FA) hopefull will change to Hartwell at this position soon.

backups - beisel,stills,fox,caver (all are also special teamers)

Bwana 03-08-2005 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BOB_DADDY
But he has more interceptions than Bartee...

And I have seen his neck turn! ROFL

HolmeZz 03-08-2005 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc
CANNOT cover (not a good fit at OLB)

Ehh. From all the reviews I've heard about Bell, the general consensus was that he was pretty good in coverage.

htismaqe 03-08-2005 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shaneo69
I bet rufusmaqe is thrilled right now!

Why would that be?

Bell was my 3rd choice. I'm happy we finally signed somebody, but call me "less than thrilled".

mlyonsd 03-08-2005 02:46 PM

Ughh, the guy only played in 8 games last year? I hope CP and Gun know what they're doing.