ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Best QB ever? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=159046)

Mile High Mania 03-02-2007 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoChiefs
Elway was just a Super Bowl choker, that's all. When Denver's outstanding defenses failed to show up, the Broncos were doomed.

Right. And, you were what... 4 when those games were played?

Anyway, if it were someone other than you, I'd play this game... but, I'm wasting time with you.

DomCasual 03-02-2007 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser
Fair enough.

I have no idea who Elway's supporting cast on offense was, though, outside of Vance Johnson. I know they had three receivers calling themselves the Three Amigos, but other than that, no idea.

Never had an offensive lineman make the Pro Bowl (until the early 90's, when Keith Bishop made it). Never had a WR make the Pro Bowl. Had a season or two where a RB made it, if I remember correctly (Winder in the mid-80's and Humphrey in '90, maybe). Shannon Sharpe came along in the 90's, but otherwise Elway was throwing to the likes of Clarence Kay and Orson Mobley at tight end.

And the thing about their defensive ranking - their offense was built to allow the defense to do that. It was basically Marty-ball, Dan Reeves style. There were a few years where the offense was towards the top of the league, statistically - in spite of a dearth of talent, outside of Elway.

Hammock Parties 03-02-2007 02:52 PM

Elway reminds me of Trent Dilfer. He rode a great running game and defense to a Super Bowl. Elway managed to do that once the Broncos got Terrell Davis. Good for him!

Mile High Mania 03-02-2007 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser
Fair enough.

I have no idea who Elway's supporting cast on offense was, though, outside of Vance Johnson. I know they had three receivers calling themselves the Three Amigos, but other than that, no idea.

Offensively in the late 80s, it was the 3 Amigos and Sammy Winder at RB. It wasn't until Bobby Humphrey in '89 when Elway had a 1,000+ yd rusher in the game with him. Sadly, they ran up against a dominating 49ers squad.

Dan Reeves has proven and it's been well documented by reading player comments from that time that Reeves was horrible at handling the game plan during SB week.

DomCasual 03-02-2007 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoChiefs
Elway reminds me of Trent Dilfer. He rode a great running game and defense to a Super Bowl. Elway managed to do that once the Broncos got Terrell Davis. Good for him!

That may be the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen you post, and that's saying something.

Mile High Mania 03-02-2007 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DomCasual
That may be the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen you post, and that's saying something.

Ah c'mon... don't take the bait, he's just posting crap to rile you up.

CoMoChief 03-02-2007 02:56 PM

Peyton Manning. None of those other QB's had as much responsibility for the offense than him. He will re-write the record books before he retires. I see him winning about 2 more SB's in his career.

DomCasual 03-02-2007 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mile High Mania
Ah c'mon... don't take the bait, he's just posting crap to rile you up.

I just had to point it out. When Bob says something that tops his previous stupidity watermark - well, it's noteworthy.

Mile High Mania 03-02-2007 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoMoChief
Peyton Manning. None of those other QB's had as much responsibility for the offense than him. He will re-write the record books before he retires. I see him winning about 2 more SB's in his career.

I dunno, I'd like to see what Manning could do with a stripped down version of that offense. Manning has a wealth of talent around him that few others have ever had. I'm not saying he's only good b/c of that talent, but I'd like to see what he could do with the supporting cast that Elway had in the late 80s or Brady did last year.

Mile High Mania 03-02-2007 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DomCasual
I just had to point it out. When Bob says something that tops his previous stupidity watermark - well, it's noteworthy.

I dunno, if that's the criteria... you'll be doing this 3 or 4 times a day.

Amnorix 03-02-2007 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pestilenceaf23
Montana......

and I boo you for even putting Brady on that list. Screw that douchebag.

ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL

But Elway doesn't offend you?

Amnorix 03-02-2007 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halfcan
This was already settled.

Brett Favre- has a ring, 3 MVP's and will have every record by the time he is done. Not to mention the Iron man streak.

End of story.

Marino
Montana
Baugh
Unitas

That's a joke. Manning has what? 2 MVPs, has at least as many rings as Favre, and will break -- more likely annihilate, every record Favre has ever had or dreamed of having by the time he's done. So end of story it's going to be Manning, I guess?!

Yeah, no. Not Favre and not Manning either.

Amnorix 03-02-2007 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mile High Mania
I dunno, I'd like to see what Manning could do with a stripped down version of that offense. Manning has a wealth of talent around him that few others have ever had. I'm not saying he's only good b/c of that talent, but I'd like to see what he could do with the supporting cast that Elway had in the late 80s or Brady did last year.

Word.

This sort of applies to Joe Montana too, I'm sorry to say.

Frankly, take a VERY good QB and give him a Marvin Harrison and Reggie Wayne and a solid offensive system with coaches who never leave, or a Jerry Rice and the other talent Montana had, and suddenly you've got arguments for the GOAT.

I won't answer the question except to say that I'd take Montana and Brady over anyone else I've ever seen because typically they were VERY clutch, and elevated their games in the playoffs.

Garcia Bronco 03-02-2007 03:25 PM

John Elway is the grestest QB to play the game..he's got the stats,m the g;lory, and the atletics. He's the total package...and the only man to live up to the hype.

Mile High Mania 03-02-2007 03:28 PM

Several of the QBs on this list and many will take the guy from the team they love, and that includes me. All I know is that more often than not, Elway made it happen when Denver needed something to win.