ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   KU Dickie V. picks KU to win the title next year (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=205515)

Buehler445 04-07-2009 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HC_Chief (Post 5649229)
He did?

Yes. I'm sure someone here has the exact verbiage he used.
Posted via Mobile Device

Buehler445 04-07-2009 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sedated (Post 5649230)
speak for yourself

OK. Sorry. I am over Roy. He's a penis as Skip eluded to, but I have to respect his ability to build a program. He's about like coach K now. Don't like him, but respect his ability.
Posted via Mobile Device

Skip Towne 04-07-2009 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 5649236)
Yes. I'm sure someone here has the exact verbiage he used.
Posted via Mobile Device

He said if he ever left KU he would be either dead or retired.

BigVE 04-07-2009 04:58 PM

To me it's much easier for Roy or anyone else to recruit in UNC/Chapel Hill than it is for Self or anyone else to recruit someone to KU for one big reason: location. Lawrence Ks. compared to most of these places is pretty sad. If your an 18yr old kid WHY WOULD YOU pick Lawrence KS instead of many other schools? Sure we have the whole "basketball was invented here" thing going for us and a rich history but for Self to, IMO, UP the recruiting talent level while he has been here has been impressive. Yes, Roy did recruit some dang good players over the years but he was notorious for doing the every other year thing. Almost like he would take a year off from recruiting (one year all we got was Bryant Nash). Self keeps the talent coming in year after year so far and it shows. This year's recruiting class under-achieved in my opinion and it showed at the end of the season.

sedated 04-07-2009 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigVE (Post 5649278)
To me it's much easier for Roy or anyone else to recruit in UNC/Chapel Hill than it is for Self or anyone else to recruit someone to KU for one big reason: location. Lawrence Ks. compared to most of these places is pretty sad. If your an 18yr old kid WHY WOULD YOU pick Lawrence KS instead of many other schools?

I tend to agree to an extent. "the State of Kansas" in general isn't a well-known place for most coast kids.

However, it is a great town (artistic, liberal, which most kids see the first time they step foot there) and its only 30 minutes away from KC (which if nothing else helps in air-travel)

Lawrence is far from an isolated outpost like Pullman, WA or Manhattan, KS.

Skip Towne 04-07-2009 05:10 PM

On the KU board one guy has a sig that says "Lawrence, Kansas: Birth place of North Carolina basketball. (Their arena is named after a KU grad. So is Kentucky's)

CoMoChief 04-07-2009 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigVE (Post 5649278)
To me it's much easier for Roy or anyone else to recruit in UNC/Chapel Hill than it is for Self or anyone else to recruit someone to KU for one big reason: location. Lawrence Ks. compared to most of these places is pretty sad. If your an 18yr old kid WHY WOULD YOU pick Lawrence KS instead of many other schools? Sure we have the whole "basketball was invented here" thing going for us and a rich history but for Self to, IMO, UP the recruiting talent level while he has been here has been impressive. Yes, Roy did recruit some dang good players over the years but he was notorious for doing the every other year thing. Almost like he would take a year off from recruiting (one year all we got was Bryant Nash). Self keeps the talent coming in year after year so far and it shows. This year's recruiting class under-achieved in my opinion and it showed at the end of the season.

Well recruiting has changed as well in the past 20 years. you didn't have players jumping into the NBA right after HS, nor did you have players do the one and done thing that many top elite blue chippers do these days.

Roy gets great players every season. Every season he gets top 100 players. Hitting the recruiting trail hard every other year was fine 10-20 years ago because most kids stayed in college for 3+ years. Now blue chippers are lucky to stay 2 years, less than that if they happen to make a Final 4 run.

BigVE 04-07-2009 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sedated (Post 5649297)
I tend to agree to an extent. "the State of Kansas" in general isn't a well-known place for most coast kids.

However, it is a great town (artistic, liberal, which most kids see the first time they step foot there) and its only 30 minutes away from KC (which if nothing else helps in air-travel)

Oh, for sure. I think all things considered Lawrence is an Ok place for a kid to go to school. But if you try to compare it location-wise to, say, UCLA or USC or Arizona (amongst others) its NO comparison TO ME. I have read several times about kids commenting on the overall location of KU compared to other schools and it has been a negative factor at times. The facilities are nice and getting better all the time, Self is a top coach and having a guy like Danny Manning on the staff (so far) is SO valuable that if a kid is interested in basketball and improving his game for the next level then KU has few rivals. If a kid is looking for a warm weather party school....well we know the weather here in KS.

Mr_Tomahawk 04-07-2009 08:46 PM

...I have not seen any articles of anyone picking KU to go all the way next year? Does anyone have any links to articles?

cdirty 04-07-2009 09:16 PM

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/dickv...ory?id=4048380

ArrowheadHawk 04-07-2009 09:53 PM

I hope Dickie is right again.

BWillie 04-07-2009 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sedated (Post 5649297)

Yeah, pretty much. Once you can get a kid to visit KU, I'm sure it helps a hell of a lot. But most college towns are pretty similar, at least those in the midwest. I mean it's college, you can always find a good time and shit to do as long as you are at a state school

R8RFAN 04-08-2009 03:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skip Towne (Post 5649309)
On the KU board one guy has a sig that says "Lawrence, Kansas: Birth place of North Carolina basketball. (Their arena is named after a KU grad. So is Kentucky's)

whatever gets you thru your day skippyROFL

Reerun_KC 04-08-2009 04:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R8ers (Post 5650263)
whatever gets you thru your day skippyROFL

If you was educated and followed college basketball, you would understand the sign...

Mr. Plow 04-08-2009 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skip Towne (Post 5649309)
Lawrence, Kansas: Birth place of North Carolina basketball.

I have that t-shirt.