ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   KU KU now has a couple of scholarships freed up (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=205646)

kepp 04-10-2009 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 5657179)
Posted via Mobile Device

Truth. Shit, I'm ready for the season to start!!!

Slow down...don't forget about football season. Oh, wait...

ArrowheadHawk 04-10-2009 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kepp (Post 5657339)

KU has a damn good chance to win the North this year.

Brock 04-10-2009 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kepp (Post 5657339)

What, is it already time for the annual Mizzou fan's "we think we're better than we really are" meltdown?

Mr. Plow 04-10-2009 10:34 AM

http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_r...as-or-st-johns

Stephenson to pick Kansas or St. John's

<dl class="item-stats"><dt class="views_bug">Views</dt><dd class="views_count">837</dd><dt class="comment_bug">Comments</dt><dd class="comment_count">10</dd></dl>
  • 06:49 AM ET 04.10
  • <!-- ADDTHIS BUTTON BEGIN --> Share<script type="text/javascript" src="http://s7.addthis.com/js/152/addthis_widget.js"></script> <!-- ADDTHIS BUTTON END -->
  • Print It
  • My T&R

Kansas coach Bill Self is expected to drop in on Lincoln High School star Lance Stephenson at his home in Coney Island on Friday, and the 6-6 guard is planning to make an official visit to St. John's at some point over the weekend, a source told the Daily News. Stephenson is then expected to finally decide between Kansas and St. John's in an official commitment announcement - possibly at his high school - early next week. Sources still are saying that Stephenson's first choice is Kansas, but the Coney Island product may wind up signing with St. John's by default. That's because Stephenson is still waiting on Xavier Henry - a 6-6 guard from Oklahoma City who is ESPN's No.1-ranked player in the country - to make his official commitment. Reports continue to indicate that Henry wants to play for Kansas and it's widely believed the Jayhawks would make an offer to him over Stephenson.
New York Daily News

Buehler445 04-10-2009 10:37 AM

Does anyone know what choosing St John will do to his draft stock?

I know he will get more minutes and a lot more touches, but are there any other aspects of St Johns that could affect his draft stock?
Posted via Mobile Device

Mr. Plow 04-10-2009 10:49 AM

http://www.courier-journal.com/blogs...-practice.html

A few early notes from the Kentucky Derby Festival practice:
  • Swarmed by media, Daniel Orton said he's still planning on attending Kentucky. He has talked to coach John Calipari and said the coach was "real interested in me." He went on to say "in my heart I still feel like I want to go to Kentucky. I like Kentucky. But we just have to open our options. Right now, if anything it's Kansas and Kentucky." When asked if open back up means is he open to being recruited by other schools he said, "I'm signed with Kentucky so mainly right now I'm still with Kentucky."

the Talking Can 04-10-2009 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Braincase (Post 5657181)
I'd still look for Morningstar to switch to walk-on status to free up another scholly. He's a dedicated Jayhawk, and his folks can swing a couple of years of tuition. It's not like he has to have a dorm room...

that's a zombie rumor

it is never going to happen

KC_Connection 04-10-2009 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lzen (Post 5657035)
Can someone explain to me how this works? I would think this would be a violation of NCAA rules.

Part of his pro contract with the Yankees included a clause that said they would pay for his tuition in university.

KC_Connection 04-10-2009 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 5657446)
Does anyone know what choosing St John will do to his draft stock?

I know he will get more minutes and a lot more touches, but are there any other aspects of St Johns that could affect his draft stock?
Posted via Mobile Device

His draft stock will be fine in St. Johns. He'll score a lot of points for them, and make the NBA in one year.

KC_Connection 04-10-2009 11:30 AM

In fact, I think the only reason he hasn't declared at Kansas is because he doesn't want to share the ball with Henry. The NBA is the ultimate goal for him here.

Pants 04-10-2009 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Connection (Post 5657562)
In fact, I think the only reason he hasn't declared at Kansas is because he doesn't want to share the ball with Henry. The NBA is the ultimate goal for him here.

His dad said as much.

ArrowheadHawk 04-10-2009 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Metrolike (Post 5657567)
His dad said as much.

His dad also wants to get him out of New York.

Pants 04-10-2009 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArrowheadHawk (Post 5657578)
His dad also wants to get him out of New York.

Yes, he does, but I think Lance's NBA stock is a little bit more important to him than getting his son out of New York. He said if Collins stays and we get Henry, he doesn't know why Lance would be going to KU (loosely paraphrased).

Lzen 04-10-2009 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Connection (Post 5657548)
Part of his pro contract with the Yankees included a clause that said they would pay for his tuition in university.

So how can he play basketball in college (amateur sport) if he is already getting paid to play baseball (pro sport) with the Yankees? I thought the NCAA would have rules against this. Not that I care. It just seems that the NCAA is pretty strict on this stuff.

Spicy McHaggis 04-10-2009 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lzen (Post 5657693)
So how can he play basketball in college (amateur sport) if he is already getting paid to play baseball (pro sport) with the Yankees? I thought the NCAA would have rules against this. Not that I care. It just seems that the NCAA is pretty strict on this stuff.

I'm not sure how it works but it's not unheard of. We had a guy on our team that had played minor league ball for somebody and I'm pretty sure one of Texas defensive backs had the same deal going on this year.