ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Food and Drink Home brewing (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=239009)

Bwana 01-29-2011 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CHENZ A! (Post 7384303)
Any of you ever make mead?
Posted via Mobile Device

Yes, I knocked out a couple of batches of blueberry. Very, very good.

Lzen 02-02-2011 09:39 PM

I've been doing a little reading on howtobrew.com. I have a decent idea of what I need to get started. But I'm trying to figure out something. The kits I'm looking at have one with a carboy and one without. The one with the carboy (has a few other things, as well) is about 30% more expensive. What is the benefit of a carboy?

marcvanrossen 02-02-2011 09:47 PM

oh trust me, i am an expert in the home brews. i make a cup like you wont believe. just ask me mate

Lzen 02-03-2011 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lzen (Post 7402093)
I've been doing a little reading on howtobrew.com. I have a decent idea of what I need to get started. But I'm trying to figure out something. The kits I'm looking at have one with a carboy and one without. The one with the carboy (has a few other things, as well) is about 30% more expensive. What is the benefit of a carboy?

bump

CHENZ A! 02-03-2011 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bwana (Post 7392084)
Yes, I knocked out a couple of batches of blueberry. Very, very good.

That sounds real good. Could you post your recipe, and any tips if you get time?
Posted via Mobile Device

Radar Chief 02-03-2011 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lzen (Post 7403085)
bump

The glass carboy will last forever with repeated scrubbing and cleansing.
The other kit must be using some kind of plastic bucket for a fermenter, right? That’s fine short term but the plastic will scratch with repeated cleaning and scratches can hide wild yeasts and bacteria that can spoil your beer.

Radar Chief 02-03-2011 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stram fan (Post 7392077)
Brew with a MR Beer and you will never want to brew again.

:LOL: They’re not quite that bad. I started with a small Mr. Beer kit and made some acceptable tasting beers with it but IMO you’re not going to make beer that you will proudly hand a friend to taste until you grow beyond what Mr. Beer will do.

Dartgod 02-03-2011 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lzen (Post 7402093)

I assume then that the ones without a carboy just have a single fermenting bucket?

The carboy is for the secondary fermentation stage. You will siphon off the primary into the carboy, leaving all the crap (dead yeast, etc. called trub) that has settled to the bottom behind. There will still be live yeast, suspended in the wort to continue the fermentation process. Basically it helps you produce a clearer, less hazy beer and helps prevent some off flavors being introduced by sitting on the trub too long.

I would recommend getting the kit with the carboy.

Lzen 02-03-2011 11:46 AM

Thanks, guys. :thumb:

Lzen 02-03-2011 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Radar Chief (Post 7403094)
The glass carboy will last forever with repeated scrubbing and cleansing.
The other kit must be using some kind of plastic bucket for a fermenter, right? That’s fine short term but the plastic will scratch with repeated cleaning and scratches can hide wild yeasts and bacteria that can spoil your beer.

I'm just curious of why would the plastic bucket scratch. Wouldn't you clean it with a dish rag and then sanitize it by rinsing with bleach mixture or sanitizing solution? At what point would it get scratched?

Lzen 02-03-2011 02:15 PM

Is a P.E.T. carboy okay? Or would you guys recommend glass carboy?

Radar Chief 02-03-2011 02:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lzen (Post 7403273)
I'm just curious of why would the plastic bucket scratch. Wouldn't you clean it with a dish rag and then sanitize it by rinsing with bleach mixture or sanitizing solution? At what point would it get scratched?

Plastic is soft, even using a soft rag and being careful you will still eventually scuff the surface.
Glass is much harder, you can use an actual carboy brush to clean it.

Radar Chief 02-03-2011 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lzen (Post 7403878)

Glass.
You could get tricky and plunk down the coin for a conical fermenter.
I’ve wanted one of these since I first saw them, just don’t brew enough to justify the cost.

http://morebeer.com/search/103794/be...Beer_Fermenter

LiveSteam 02-03-2011 02:29 PM

http://www.marijuana-picture.com/gal...lver_pearl.jpg

Aint it pretty

DMAC 02-03-2011 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lzen (Post 7403878)

I have a plastic one. It's fine. Do you plan on brewing a shit ton or like once every couple months.

One thing to either make or invest 40-50 bucks in is a wort chiller. The difference is taking an hour or so to cool the beer down vs. like 5 minutes. (you need to get your boiling beer down to 70 degrees ASAP)