ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Misc 13 Things Your Mail Carrier Won’t Tell You (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=241201)

DaFace 02-04-2011 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coogs (Post 7405725)
Here is one I have never understood. So what if you include something else in the package. Who is going to know besides the person you mail it to?

Any time I've done it, they've made me open up the package at the post office before accepting it.

dirk digler 02-04-2011 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luv (Post 7405722)
I've taken the civil service exam twice. I got an 87. Dad said that might be good enough to get a job on a rural route somewhere in mid-Missouri, if I'm lucky.

Is that out of 100?

luv 02-04-2011 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 7405729)
What's on the civil service exam? I vaguely remember hearing about it in the past, but didn't know that it still existed. What type of questions do they ask?

Memory questions. You get so long to memorize four boxes that have three sets of address ranges in each. Then, you are given several addresses and you must say which box it would have been included in. No looking back.

Speed. You have a certain amount of time to go through and say whether the two addresses listed are the same or different.

Following orders. You just listen to the person giving the test, and do what they tell you to do (go to question 4 and mark D).

luv 02-04-2011 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirk digler (Post 7405735)
Is that out of 100?

Yep.

Saulbadguy 02-04-2011 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luv (Post 7405739)
Yep.

How much does it cost to take it?

Coogs 02-04-2011 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 7405732)
Any time I've done it, they've made me open up the package at the post office before accepting it.

I have never had that happen. And I do not do this often either. But I still don't see the harm in sending a note/letter inside the box with said package. :shrug:

phisherman 02-04-2011 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luv (Post 7405722)
I've taken the civil service exam twice. I got an 87. Dad said that might be good enough to get a job on a rural route somewhere in mid-Missouri, if I'm lucky.

I got a similar score, somewhere in high 80's.

my dad was pissed. he worked for the postal service his entire adult life, though he only carried mail for 3-4 years back in the 60s.

the only reason that i wanted to work there was for the retirement. the benefits are/were OK, but I get equivalent benefits and better pay working where I currently do.

Predarat 02-04-2011 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClayWhit (Post 7405582)
No kinky stories of daytime sex? Feh!

I have a vid like that on my labtop, but there is no sound. Its actually kind of lame for pron.

luv 02-04-2011 11:18 AM

I've heard that you don't have to have the civil service exam anymore. Just pass all of the background checks (federal, state, criminal, drug). However, you don't get benefits for a longer period of time, and you usually end up with either the grunt jobs that no one else wants, or the routes that no one else want if you deliver.

Yeah, you know the area of town you would never go in? That area.

phisherman 02-04-2011 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saulbadguy (Post 7405743)

I don't remember it costing anything.

luv 02-04-2011 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saulbadguy (Post 7405743)

It's been forever ago. If there was a cost, I don't recall what it was.

dirk digler 02-04-2011 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luv (Post 7405739)
Yep.

That score doesn't seem bad. So I take it you have to get a 95 or better to get considered.

Rain Man 02-04-2011 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luv (Post 7405736)
Memory questions. You get so long to memorize four boxes that have three sets of address ranges in each. Then, you are given several addresses and you must say which box it would have been included in. No looking back.

Speed. You have a certain amount of time to go through and say whether the two addresses listed are the same or different.

Following orders. You just listen to the person giving the test, and do what they tell you to do (go to question 4 and mark D).

How interesting. I had no idea it was like that. I figured it was a bunch of questions about Tammany Hall and the succession order of the presidency and stuff.

luv 02-04-2011 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirk digler (Post 7405760)
That score doesn't seem bad. So I take it you have to get a 95 or better to get considered.

That's what dad said. He got a 95, plus 10 points for being a veteran.

Just think, if I had been a veteran, I'd probably be working at the post office.

luv 02-04-2011 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 7405768)
How interesting. I had no idea it was like that. I figured it was a bunch of questions about Tammany Hall and the succession order of the presidency and stuff.

I'm not even sure what the technical name for it is. I've always just thought of it as the civil service exam. There might be different kinds, and this one is specific to the post office? I don't know.

Now I'm curious....