ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   MU **Official MU Head Coach Search Thread** (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=243103)

siberian khatru 03-24-2011 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 7513387)
1a) Brad Stephens (They'll go after him, but he isn't leaving Butler for anything short of Indiana)
1b) Matt Painter (I've heard some weird things about him being unhappy/underpaid at Purdue, but he's probably just trying to get a pay raise)

And then a second tier that includes the unhappy Anthony Grant (Alabama), looking-to-upgrade programs Mark Fox (Georgia), up-and-comer Shaka Smart (VCU), and Gregg Marshall (WSU).

Cuonzo Martin is in the next tier (fallback tier). I think that's the worst Missouri will do, which is OK (but pretty 'meh' to me. Unproven, and doesn't have the rep of comparable unproven guys like Shaka Smart).

Martin and Smart have the most upside, but biggest risk.

Why is Grant unhappy? He's been at Bama only 2 years and is well-paid.

Hire him, and you've got to keep an eye on Billy Donovan the whole time.

duncan_idaho 03-24-2011 08:26 AM

Also, on Martin... If Missouri wants him, it will get him. The Tigers can triple his salary without breaking a sweat, he'd be at a major conference, and he'd have huge upgrades to his facilities and recruiting potential.

SMS is struggling to come up with booster money to raise him into the 750k range. If a major program comes calling, he'll be gone.

gblowfish 03-24-2011 08:35 AM

If you're going to go with a small school guy, go with Kim Anderson at UCM Warrensburg. He's the "Anderson" they should have hired the first time. He's a Norm Stewart guy and has a bright future as a coach. Martin doesn't have that much experience. He needs about three more years in the Valley to prove himself.

Or how bout hiring Danny Manning from Kansas? That would signal the end of days...

ROYC75 03-24-2011 08:36 AM

MU is ready for a system restore, Quinn Synder v. 2.

eazyb81 03-24-2011 09:00 AM

Quote:

1a) Brad Stephens (They'll go after him, but he isn't leaving Butler for anything short of Indiana)
1b) Matt Painter (I've heard some weird things about him being unhappy/underpaid at Purdue, but he's probably just trying to get a pay raise)

And then a second tier that includes the unhappy Anthony Grant (Alabama), looking-to-upgrade programs Mark Fox (Georgia), up-and-comer Shaka Smart (VCU), and Gregg Marshall (WSU).

Cuonzo Martin is in the next tier (fallback tier). I think that's the worst Missouri will do, which is OK (but pretty 'meh' to me. Unproven, and doesn't have the rep of comparable unproven guys like Shaka Smart).

Grant is already making $1.8MM at Bama and hasn't really done anything there. I'd also prefer to get away from the full press style - it has left a bad taste in my mouth since suitcase mike left.

I think Smart and Martin are in the same tier; I am weary of Smart, a guy no one would be talking about right now if the NCAA didn't gift him a spot in the tourney.

The Gene Keady tree has a very strong track record, which helps reassure me on Martin. Also you'd have to think he would dominate St. Louis recruiting, something Mizzou has never been able to do.

Mile High Mania 03-24-2011 10:11 AM

Pelphrey is available...

Saulbadguy 03-24-2011 10:13 AM

To TIGERBOARD!

Mile High Mania 03-24-2011 10:26 AM

Anyone made a Tiger Blood reference yet?

gblowfish 03-24-2011 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mile High Mania (Post 7513590)
Anyone made a Tiger Blood reference yet?

Charlie Sheen would make a good coach. He has Tiger Blood...

Reaper16 03-24-2011 11:43 AM

Quote:

This would be news to everyone in Tuscaloosa. Please stop talking out of your ass.

Saulbadguy 03-24-2011 11:46 AM

Quote:

In 1987, Grant became an assistant coach and math teacher at Miami Senior High School under Marcos "Shaky" Rodriguez.
Sound familiar? ;)

Ebolapox 03-24-2011 11:48 AM

steve fisher from sandy eggo state?

Saulbadguy 03-24-2011 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by H5N1 (Post 7513774)

lol, no

nychief 03-24-2011 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 7513761)
This would be news to everyone in Tuscaloosa. Please stop talking out of your ass.

There are a lot of things that news to everybody in Tuscaloosa...the moon walk...the end of segregation... internet...

come on give the guy a break.

nychief 03-24-2011 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by H5N1 (Post 7513774)

no. no. no.