ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Falling skies TNT (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=246306)

morphius 07-04-2011 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 7729828)
None of them are flawed. It makes for a seriously boring group of people with very little conflict.

Battlestar Galactica did an excellent job of using human flaws to really help the audience relate to the characters. It also makes the show a whole lot more interesting.

I don't know, I'd say that they are all flawed, just in boring ways. I mean, we have a dad so worried about his son that he risks leaving his youngest son without a family by always taking his older son with him into battle. You have the leader of the group who can't seem to worry about anything other than the military and following orders from above.

Jawshco 07-14-2011 12:38 AM

Just finished up watching all the episodes for this show on my DVR.

IDK... Stephen Weber's character is pretty screwed up, and the not too subtle implications between him and Noah Wiley's deceased wife are pretty messed up.

I like the idea of the harnesses. That's pretty freaky. Especially since they only use kids (similar to something that worked really well in Torchwood: Childern of Earth) And the way they kill the aliens through the mouth like that... Dang! That's not a place I'd be wanting to stick my hand. Although, I suppose there could be worse places... I also like the psycho cook!

There is definitely a Walking Dead feel to this show, although I don't think it's nearly as good as TWD.

It isn't the best SciFi show out there, but it's not all bad either. I'll probably keep watching it because my wife loves the Librarian, and Noah Wiley seems to be playing pretty much a more grizzled version of the same character in this show.

unlurking 07-14-2011 05:28 AM

Still watching myself. Keep threatening to stop, but I'll probably watch the next one as well.

Not sure how I feel about the whole "nanny" species twist they're trying to throw in now. Wondering if the skidders are actually a slave race to the invaders.

blaise 07-14-2011 06:37 AM

It's pretty bad. The characters are all more cliches than people. And you can almost guess exactly what the next line will be before they say them.
If someone approaches the military leader you know the next 40 seconds are going to be, "We gotta do it my way. I'm the leader here. Grumble grumble."

When the doctor comes on screen you know you're going to get a little wisdom on retaining our humanity and pragmatic guidance.

When the kid shows up you know it's time for schlockey sentimantality.

notorious 07-14-2011 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blaise (Post 7747757)
It's pretty bad. The characters are all more cliches than people. And you can almost guess exactly what the next line will be before they say them.
If someone approaches the military leader you know the next 40 seconds are going to be, "We gotta do it my way. I'm the leader here. Grumble grumble."

When the doctor comes on screen you know you're going to get a little wisdom on retaining our humanity and pragmatic guidance.

When the kid shows up you know it's time for schlockey sentimantality.

This.

keg in kc 07-14-2011 11:41 AM

I've enjoyed each episode a little bit more. It's still a bit too CBS-style sentimental/jingoist for my taste, but I'm keeping it on my DVR. It's not like there's a ton of post-apocalypic shows on the air these days, not to mention aliens, so it's kind of filling a void.

Sweet Daddy Hate 07-14-2011 07:16 PM

It is the Jar-Jar Binks of TV sci-fi.

notorious 07-14-2011 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarthCarlSatan (Post 7749080)
It is the Jar-Jar Binks of TV sci-fi.

I have not felt the need to take a 12 gauge to my TV while watching FS.....yet.

Sweet Daddy Hate 07-14-2011 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 7749211)
I have not felt the need to take a 12 gauge to my TV while watching FS.....yet.

Clone Wars animated is better than that shit.

keg in kc 07-14-2011 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarthCarlSatan (Post 7749404)
Clone Wars animated is better than that shit.

I'm guessing you didn't see the last season of Clone Wars.

(it was like epically bad, and I love that show)

Sweet Daddy Hate 07-14-2011 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 7749444)
I'm guessing you didn't see the last season of Clone Wars.

(it was like epically bad, and I love that show)

Mmm...I liked the visions of the future-thing, then having them wiped, then having some Tarkin in the mix.

keg in kc 07-14-2011 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarthCarlSatan (Post 7749464)
Mmm...I liked the visions of the future-thing, then having them wiped, then having some Tarkin in the mix.

I don't think I've seen anything worse than the "Balance of the Force" 3-parter, including the prequel films. It was baaaaad.

Sweet Daddy Hate 07-14-2011 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 7749488)
I don't think I've seen anything worse than the "Balance of the Force" 3-parter, including the prequel films. It was baaaaad.

Well, alrighty then.

keg in kc 07-14-2011 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarthCarlSatan (Post 7749491)
Well, alrighty then.

You're a bigger fan of polarized cartoony force-wielding shape-changers than I am?

Sweet Daddy Hate 07-14-2011 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 7749509)
You're a bigger fan of polarized cartoony force-wielding shape-changers than I am?

I give SW a lot of leeway because it's SW. It's kind of it's own thing. Falling Skies just seems like another lame-assed show( sci-fi or no )from that network.