ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Newsroom. Anyone watching? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=260825)

|Zach| 08-06-2012 05:24 AM

Another really strong episode.

Aries Walker 08-06-2012 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsFanatic (Post 8792244)
No. She is playing a character with two PHDs and no social skills whatsoever. I think she is nailing it. And it cracks me up the way this board believes that it knows what an Emmy winning writer should do to make his show better.

Sure, there are things that we wish would be different, but we have become TV snobs, believing we could improve Breaking Bad, or The Walking Dead, etc. We give ourselves too much credit, and believe ourselves to be smarter than we are.

We need to stick to things that we can actually do better than the people doing the job, and that's running the Kansas City Chiefs.

On the other hand, TV executives recently green-lit another sitcom for Rob Schneider, so maybe they could take a few lessons from some everymans.

Bambi 08-06-2012 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aries Walker (Post 8794561)
On the other hand, TV executives recently green-lit another sitcom for Rob Schneider, so maybe they could take a few lessons from some everymans.

I gave up the day they cancelled Sarah Connor Chronicles.

Baby Lee 08-06-2012 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by |Zach| (Post 8794475)
Another really strong episode.

There's a problem marrying up the interpersonal stuff with the 'ripped from the headlines' stuff.
We've been with these characters for 7 weeks, but events have transpired over several months. Meanwhile, these characters are in stasis, Will and Mac's 'lurve' continues to simmer, the Maggie, Lisa, Jim triangle continues to be a more urgent issue than the death of the likes of OBL, heck Jim and Lisa have dated for months and the age old 'someone said ILY too soon' trope pops up TONIGHT? Nobody's moved on, gotten a promotion, changed their hairstyle, burnt out, . . . nothing?

Bambi 08-06-2012 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 8794961)
There's a problem marrying up the interpersonal stuff with the 'ripped from the headlines' stuff.
We've been with these characters for 7 weeks, but events have transpired over several months. Meanwhile, these characters are in stasis, Will and Mac's 'lurve' continues to simmer, the Maggie, Lisa, Jim triangle continues to be a more urgent issue than the death of the likes of OBL, heck Jim and Lisa have dated for months and the age old 'someone said ILY too soon' trope pops up TONIGHT? Nobody's moved on, gotten a promotion, changed their hairstyle, burnt out, . . . nothing?

If it helps I don't even pay attention to the "events" in chronological order. They more serve as a backdrop from my point of view. Yes there are overall implications in how the characters act....especially all the "TMI" nonsense that keeps going on.

Last night got kinda silly at points. Come on, he's eating pot brownies and everyone's joking around with it? Yea right. Then he just snaps into "broadcaster mode".

gblowfish 08-06-2012 12:10 PM

I have an autographed CD at home from Jeff Daniels. He is a good guitarist and he has a great sense of humor. Good actor, too.

Nice story, q&a with Daniels about the show and other stuff:

http://www.avclub.com/articles/jeff-...g-talki,81644/

BigRedChief 08-08-2012 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gblowfish (Post 8795013)
I have an autographed CD at home from Jeff Daniels. He is a good guitarist and he has a great sense of humor. Good actor, too.

Nice story, q&a with Daniels about the show and other stuff:

http://www.avclub.com/articles/jeff-...g-talki,81644/

thanks for the link

gblowfish 08-20-2012 11:48 AM

Anybody see last night's show? Buehler? Buehler???

Fire Me Boy! 08-20-2012 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gblowfish (Post 8835329)
Anybody see last night's show? Buehler? Buehler???

Yep. I like this show... I know it's Sorkin doing his thang, but Mrs. FMB! and I enjoy it. I just have to separate the show from what I know real newsrooms and journalism are like.

Aries Walker 08-20-2012 09:06 PM

I like that it's starting to get a story behind it. I still think the women in the show are poorly written (especially Maggie, who is somewhere between annoying, incompetent and dumb as a brick), but the first season of The West Wing had some rough edges that needed to be sanded off, too, so we'll see where it goes.

Omaha 08-21-2012 02:24 PM

I just watched this week's episode. I'm still digging this show. In next week the season finale?

ragedogg69 08-22-2012 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aries Walker (Post 8836982)
I like that it's starting to get a story behind it. I still think the women in the show are poorly written (especially Maggie, who is somewhere between annoying, incompetent and dumb as a brick), but the first season of The West Wing had some rough edges that needed to be sanded off, too, so we'll see where it goes.

Yeah I just dont understand what they are doing with Olivia Munn's character. Its nice she is getting more screen time, but jesus, her character is brilliant, but shallow; is meek, but will have fits of (playful?) violence to the slumdog kid.

My problem with Sorkin is he has this brilliant drama, but wants to slip random slapstick into them. The whole pants thing needed a slide whistle dubbed over it.

BigRedChief 08-22-2012 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ragedogg69 (Post 8842538)
Yeah I just dont understand what they are doing with Olivia Munn's character. Its nice she is getting more screen time, but jesus, her character is brilliant, but shallow; is meek, but will have fits of (playful?) violence to the slumdog kid.

My problem with Sorkin is he has this brilliant drama, but wants to slip random slapstick into them. The whole pants thing needed a slide whistle dubbed over it.

agree. The pants thing seemed forced. I think Olivia Munn's charector could be a breakout charector. Just play here as a genius with enonomic numbers but geeky in life. Socially inept will give them plenty of oppertunity for comedy. I know she does great comedy from her time on the daily Show,

BigRedChief 08-22-2012 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Omaha (Post 8838768)
I just watched this week's episode. I'm still digging this show. In next week the season finale?

yes

BigRedChief 08-27-2012 07:30 PM

This isn't really clicking on all cyclinders. Reports have Sorking consulting with TV and News types to make it better.

I think Munn is going to be a breakout star.