ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Computers What do you use for personal email? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=267376)

Mr. Flopnuts 12-05-2012 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 9181710)
Can you just not find anything close to your real name you could use? If you're actually using that on your resume...stop. I'd almost instantly pass on a resume with a name like that on it.

****. No wonder I'm not getting any responses. I guess Mr.Flopnuts@gmail.com doesn't seem professional enough.

ZepSinger 12-05-2012 07:55 AM

custom domain email thru godaddy

htismaqe 12-05-2012 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 9182075)
I'm shocked by te number of students who still use emails like "babygrrrl420@yahoo.com" as their official contact email. Of course, I'm also shocked at the number of teens who don't really use/check their email with any regularity.

Email is SO 20th century dude. It's SOOOOOO SLLLLOOWWWWW.

Are you on Facebook and Twitter? :D

NewChief 12-05-2012 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9182095)
Email is SO 20th century dude. It's SOOOOOO SLLLLOOWWWWW.

Are you on Facebook and Twitter? :D

The difference between email and social networks is the difference between PCs and tablets when it comes to productivity.

I keep trying to tell my students (mind you, these are kids taking a college level class in high school) that they MUST check their email daily. I can't tell you how many times they send me something in email, I reply to them that I received it, then I see them two days later and they say, "Hey, did you get that assignment I sent you?"

Uhhh, yes. I sent you an email immediately. That means you haven't checked your email in 2 days since you sent the assignment. Awesome.

Meanwhile, they know every single time some dipshit comments on their instagram or Bob tweets what he ate for breakfast.

durtyrute 12-05-2012 08:19 AM

Google is taking over your lives.

suds79 12-05-2012 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by durtyrute (Post 9182119)
Google is taking over your lives.

Yes it is. :D

Join us.
http://blogs.nature.com/a_mad_hemorr...ents-smith.jpg

Buehler445 12-05-2012 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Capt Tasty Cheeks (Post 9181754)
well I landed the job I really, really wanted two months ago...so hopefully I'll never have to bust out my resume again...and now I have a corporate email as well

but yeah, perhaps if I ever have another go around I'll register a new email to handle all job inquiries...never really even thought about it

I was pretty new to the whole resume game this time around, really stumbled into a good career so hopefully I don't **** it up

Get a new one on the first day of your job search. I made a new one specifically for job searching. I migrated everything to it when I went out on my own, but yeah. Get a professional email.

DaFace 12-05-2012 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9182066)
Silly.

Silly? Sure. But I seriously doubt I'm the only one who feels that way. I'm not saying I'd dump a resume because of it or anything, but I definitely feel like Gmail is more "up to date" for whatever reason. It's kind of like AOL, but not as bad.

htismaqe 12-05-2012 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 9182118)
The difference between email and social networks is the difference between PCs and tablets when it comes to productivity.

I keep trying to tell my students (mind you, these are kids taking a college level class in high school) that they MUST check their email daily. I can't tell you how many times they send me something in email, I reply to them that I received it, then I see them two days later and they say, "Hey, did you get that assignment I sent you?"

Uhhh, yes. I sent you an email immediately. That means you haven't checked your email in 2 days since you sent the assignment. Awesome.

Meanwhile, they know every single time some dipshit comments on their instagram or Bob tweets what he ate for breakfast.

ROFL

htismaqe 12-05-2012 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 9182146)
Silly? Sure. But I seriously doubt I'm the only one who feels that way. I'm not saying I'd dump a resume because of it or anything, but I definitely feel like Gmail is more "up to date" for whatever reason. It's kind of like AOL, but not as bad.

Gmail was "more up to date" - in 2008. :D

Gmail used to be the "rebel" email - only real geeks use Gmail. Grandma uses Hotmail.

As you can see by the results of this poll, that's no longer the case. EVERYBODY uses Gmail, including Grandma. And Google loves it because now they can use your email to figure out which ads to shower upon you.

Dr. Johnny Fever 12-05-2012 08:52 AM

djf@thisismyemail.com.org.gov.edu.net

I like to cover my bases.

suds79 12-05-2012 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 9182146)

It's not silly.

There's something just embarrasing about using Hotmail or AOL to me. I stumbled across this snip-it from Paul Rudd in an interview when asked about why it seems so many celebs (not that I care but that was the question posed) use AOL?

“I like AOL because it’s so embarrassing,” Rudd explains. “People look at you as if you’re a fossil. Which you are. But I enjoy that embarrassment. I like being on the outside. Having an AOL address is like wearing Ocean Pacific shorts. It’s so uncool that it’s cool.”

It'd be like still using Netscape as your browser if it still existed.

Imon Yourside 12-05-2012 08:55 AM

Still using http://www.2cansandastring.com/

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...RXcCTBg9QKPlVh

loochy 12-05-2012 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suds79 (Post 9182158)
It's not silly.

There's something just embarrasing about using Hotmail or AOL to me. I stumbled across this snip-it from Paul Rudd in an interview when asked about why it seems so many celebs (not that I care but that was the question posed) use AOL?

“I like AOL because it’s so embarrassing,” Rudd explains. “People look at you as if you’re a fossil. Which you are. But I enjoy that embarrassment. I like being on the outside. Having an AOL address is like wearing Ocean Pacific shorts. It’s so uncool that it’s cool.”

It'd be like still using Netscape as your browser if it still existed.

My personal email is still AOL, but I do have a gmail address for official things like resumes and I use my ATT ISP address as a spam sink.

58-4ever 12-05-2012 09:08 AM

If anyone is looking for something new, outlook.com is the shizzle.