ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Andy Reid Has Started Assembling His Staff (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=268547)

mdchiefsfan 01-06-2013 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 9287570)
Tom Gamble is reportedly going to get the Jets job. Makes sense that Heckert is looking elsewhere

That's the guy I wanted. Dorsey will be good with Reid in place.

htismaqe 01-06-2013 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 9287570)
Tom Gamble is reportedly going to get the Jets job. Makes sense that Heckert is looking elsewhere

I hope he's looking here.

Heckert AND Dorsey would be, well...

http://thecampusthrone.com/wp-conten...09/12/jimp.jpg

Wilson8 01-06-2013 10:27 AM

I like what Tom Heckert did with drafting in Cleveland in the three years that he was there. Lots of draft trades and uses the supplemental draft to get good players.

1. (7) Joe Haden, CB, Florida
2a. (38) T.J. Ward, S, Oregon
2b. (59) Montario Hardesty, RB, Tennessee
3a. (85) Colt McCoy, QB, Texas
3b. (92) Shawn Lauvao, OL, Arizona State
5. (160) Larry Asante, DB, Nebraska
6a. (177) Carlton Mitchell, WR, South Florida
6b. (186) Cliff Geathers, DL, South Carolina.
The Browns traded their fourth-round pick and a fifth-round pick, along with LB Alex Hall, to Philadelphia for LB Chris Gocong and DB Sheldon Brown.
The Browns traded their seventh-round choice and DL Corey Williams to Detroit for a fifth-round selection that was sent to Philadelphia as part of the trade to draft Montario Hardesty.

1. (21) Phil Taylor, DL, Baylor
2a. (37) Jabaal Sheard, DL, Pittsburgh
2b. (59) Greg Little, WR, North Carolina
4a. (102) Jordan Cameron, TE, USC
4b. (124) Owen Marecic, FB, Stanford
5a. (137) Buster Skrine, DB, UT-Chattanooga
5b. (150) Jason Pinkston, OL, Pittsburgh
7. (248#) Eric Hagg, DB, Nebraska
The Browns traded their first-round choice, the sixth overall selection, to Atlanta for the Falcons' picks in the first, second and fourth rounds in 2011 and first and fourth-round picks in the 2012 draft. The Browns then traded the No. 1 pick from Atlanta, the 27th overall choice, and a third-round choice (70) to Kansas City for the Chiefs' first-round pick, No. 21 overall.
The Browns traded a seventh-round choice to Seattle for QB Seneca Wallace.

1a. (3) Trent Richardson, RB, Alabama
1b. (22) Brandon Weeden, QB, Oklahoma State
2. (37) Mitchell Schwartz, OL, California
3. (87) John Hughes, DL, Cincinnati
4a. (100) Travis Benjamin, WR, Miami (FL)
4b. (120) James-Michael Johnson, LB, Nevada
5. (160) Ryan Miller, OL, Colorado
6a. (204) Emmanuel Acho, LB, Texas
6b. (205) Billy Winn, DT, Boise State
7a. (245) Trevin Wade, DB, Arizona
7b. (247) Brad Smelley, FB, Alabama

2012 Supplemental draft
2. (34) Josh Gordon, WR, Baylor

BossChief 01-06-2013 10:31 AM

If we get Heckert and Dorsey, y'all would be fools not to buy season tickets.

BigMeatballDave 01-06-2013 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 9287773)
If we get Heckert and Dorsey, y'all would be fools not to buy season tickets.

I absolutely WILL NOT buy season tickets!

007 01-06-2013 11:46 AM

Stub hub FTW

EagleRob 01-06-2013 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Flopnuts (Post 9287451)
My understanding is he wanted out of his contract if they weren't going to fire him. He wasn't happy with the GM out there, and wasn't making the personnel decisions like he used too. Can you confirm that?

That's the take from those "in the know" apparently. Reid differed in personnel evaluation from his GMs, both Banner (now in CLE) and Roseman (now the PHI GM). Reid prefers "football guys' doing talent eval, but owner Jeff Lurie likes sabermetrics, thus the Eagles infatuation with Chip Kelly.

Banner was Lurie's childhood friend but he was an accountant by trade. His forte was keeping the Eagles under the cap while trimming the roster of fan favorite 30+ aged players before they went through performance decline. The philosophy was that players at the top of their physical game demand big contracts at the same time they are declining physically so dump everyone by age 31. See "Brian Dawkins", "Jeremiah Trotter", etc. McNabb / Reid never had a full set of tools because Lurie / Banner wouldn't keep veterans around.

Roseman is a bit different. He's another professional accountant/attorney type that doesn't know football but plays with metrics and numbers and not pure football ability. Reid wanted to go down the road of keeping good football players like Todd Herremanns and convinced Lurie to do so but was coming into conflict with Roseman who preferred the numbers game. Lurie claims Roseman was the best talent evaluator on the staff and blamed the poor 2010/11 draft and free agent splurges on Banner/Reid. Roseman's hands were all over those moves, but as Lurie's new golden boy, he does no wrong.

So, Reid was leaving either way. The last two years he had to play the hand he was dealt. I don't understand the hiring of Juan Castillo as DC but the story is Castillo wanted to try something new. FAIL.

Easy 6 01-06-2013 02:10 PM

Thats some good insight Rob, thanks and welcome to the Planet.

Hammock Parties 01-06-2013 02:19 PM

The Reid/Banner divorce sounds a lot like the Carl/Marty power struggle...with the difference that Carl wasn't a complete jackass like Banner.

EagleRob 01-06-2013 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoWalrus (Post 9288438)
The Reid/Banner divorce sounds a lot like the Carl/Marty power struggle...with the difference that Carl wasn't a complete jackass like Banner.

I don't expect Chiefs fans to care but the jockeying for Chip Kelly the past 48 hours has been a fascinating continuing Lurie vs Banner saga. Cleveland (Banner) thought they had Kelly signed but then he meets with BUF before Philly (Lurie) flies to Arizona yesterday, bogarts Banner's second interview over dinner with a lunch meeting that lasted nine hours. Meeting with Banner doesn't happen at all and Kelly goes back to Oregon today to decide between staying at Oregon or Philly. It's like a lovers quarrel in the apartment building spilling out into the hall and parking lot for everyone to see. That's the kind of dynamic Reid was dealing with. I've even heard rumor that the Eagles don't want Kelly, but are just trying to cockblock Banner who lost his second choice coach to Buffalo. I think it's both - they want Kelly but also wanted to keep him from Banner at all costs.

Hammock Parties 01-06-2013 02:30 PM

That is a dysfunctional organization. I don't see how anyone can blame Reid for their problems the last two seasons.

EagleRob 01-06-2013 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoWalrus (Post 9288485)
That is a dysfunctional organization. I don't see how anyone can blame Reid for their problems the last two seasons.

Like T.O. used to say, "Get your popcorn ready!". The Chiefs are going on a fun ride with Reid. The next two or three years you will see the talents of Reid in transforming an organization and even the losses will be tempered by knowing something good is happening.

NJChiefsFan 01-06-2013 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marada (Post 9286927)

''The GM and the head coach are really going to dictate what the priorities are,'' Hunt said, ''but clearly better quarterback play is a priority in 2013.''

http://www.epiclol.com/cdn/pictures/...miling-gif.gif

I really like everything else Clark said in that piece as well.

KCSPORTSNUT 01-06-2013 03:18 PM

Bama Bama Bama will CRUSH the Irish not even a game

BigMeatballDave 01-06-2013 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCSPORTSNUT (Post 9288651)
Bama Bama Bama will CRUSH the Irish not even a game

:spock: