ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Likely to be the finalized staff... (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=268758)

DJ's left nut 01-11-2013 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buzz_TinBalls (Post 9305488)
Rapoti is good to go at 34RDE and Tyson J is far from suckage at 34RDE. you put these men in a 1/2 gap scheme and they will get you pressure. Add in Hali/Houston and you have a pass rush.

You swap this team out to 43 D and you have to start over in the pass rush dept.

Huh?

Did we watch the same team last year?

No, Pitoitua is not 'good go go'; he's an adequate stop gap that should be no more than a situational player. He's only 'good to go' if you mean 'the hell away'. He's exceptionally replaceable.

As to Jackson, no, he is not far from suckage. He is an awful football player who has no technique and a pretty lousy motor.

And finally, no, they would not have to start over at pass-rusher if they converted to a 4-3 - they have Hali and Houston. Houston is a better version of Chris Clemons and Hali is the same guy that was drafted as a 4-3 DE, only now he's stronger than he used to be and has developed legitimate pass-rush moves. He's probably losing his first step a bit, however, so he's actually probably better suited to move back to the D-line as a down lineman where his route to the QB won't be quite as long as it is as a standup backer.

DJ's left nut 01-11-2013 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beach tribe (Post 9305491)
I don't know if I'm the only one, but I'm excited about Sutton. I think he's ready for a DC shot, and will stick to the 3-4.

He's had a DC shot. He wasn't good at it.

O.city 01-11-2013 11:05 AM

I'm just not a fan of the 43 DJ, so I'll agree to disagree.

Ace Gunner 01-11-2013 11:07 AM

Bob Sutton (born January 28, 1951) is an American football coach. He is currently the assistant head coach and linebackers coach for the New York Jets of the National Football League (NFL). Sutton served as the head football coach at the United States Military Academy from 1991 to 1999, compiling a record of 44–55–1. He guided the 1996 Army squad to a 10–2 record, an appearance in the Independence Bowl, and a top 25 finish in both major polls. For his efforts that season, Sutton was awarded the Bobby Dodd Coach of the Year Award.
Sutton joined the New York Jets in 2000, and has since worked under four different head coaches. He began his tenure with the Jets as a linebackers coach before serving as the team's defensive coordinator from 2006 to 2008, succeeding Donnie Henderson.
Sutton earned his physical education degree from Eastern Michigan University. He and his wife, Debbie, have a son, Andrew, and a daughter, Sarah.

Hog's Gone Fishin 01-11-2013 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DTLB58 (Post 9305209)
ST- Dave Toub- This is huge. Andy has made several comments about upgrading our ST's in his interviews. :clap:

why is this huge ?

What is his background ?

Rausch 01-11-2013 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bad Guy (Post 9305116)
RB coach - Eric Bienemy

Don't like.

Not sure why, just don't like. I think there's some stupid lurking in there...

siberian khatru 01-11-2013 11:12 AM

Seems like a lot of fingers massaging the offensive dough. Is Childress supposed to mentor Pederson?

Ace Gunner 01-11-2013 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9305508)
Huh?

Did we watch the same team last year?

No, Pitoitua is not 'good go go'; he's an adequate stop gap that should be no more than a situational player. He's only 'good to go' if you mean 'the hell away'. He's exceptionally replaceable.

As to Jackson, no, he is not far from suckage. He is an awful football player who has no technique and a pretty lousy motor.

And finally, no, they would not have to start over at pass-rusher if they converted to a 4-3 - they have Hali and Houston. Houston is a better version of Chris Clemons and Hali is the same guy that was drafted as a 4-3 DE, only now he's stronger than he used to be and has developed legitimate pass-rush moves. He's probably losing his first step a bit, however, so he's actually probably better suited to move back to the D-line as a down lineman where his route to the QB won't be quite as long as it is as a standup backer.

They are going to switch to more one gapping and Rapoti/TJ are athletic enough to get pressure in that type defense. Having Poe also gives flexibility to rotate and he can motor also.

The thing about 1 gapping DE's is that when you have a guy with 4 foot long arms, he has a lot of range in the pocket. Rapoti is a guy I have followed a bit. Trust me, he's got tools in the one gap.

Your points on Jackson are tired. I'm not going to address them since this is really just a dead horse. If the guy is so bad, they'll cut him. He's no star, but he's decent.

DJ's left nut 01-11-2013 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 9305514)
I'm just not a fan of the 43 DJ, so I'll agree to disagree.

And I've admitted several times that it's simply my personal preference, so I'll not call anyone a dipshit for being excited about staying with the 3-4.

I'll call Tinballs an idiot for saying we're better suited for a 3-4 because we have Pitoitua on our team. I'll also remain a little flummoxed by the idea that this mediocre retread was the best 3-4 guy we could come up with, but so be it.

I guess Keith Butler's just going to keep waiting for LeBeau to die.

Hey wait a minute, Tigers fans - with Ryan's firing you know our ol' buddy Matt Eberflus will be looking for a job. TO THE SHIP!!!

bevischief 01-11-2013 11:13 AM

It is going to be interesting to see what happens this year.

DJ's left nut 01-11-2013 11:16 AM

For the record, if I were committed to sticking with the 3-4, I'd have probably waited to see if we could interview Reggie Herring out of Texas. This fossil wasn't going anywhere, he'd have been available in a couple of weeks. There's a guy with good track record that's earned a shot, IMO.

If you're going to hire a guy that isn't a slam dunk hire, might as well hire one with upside. Herring would've been a great hire. He's followed Phillips to two spots now, has DC experience in college and has a very nice track record with the pass rush and aggressive LBers.

Much better hire than Sutton.

Chiefnj2 01-11-2013 11:17 AM

For the second straight year, the Jets have followed the same pattern on defense: Lousy before the bye week, solid after the bye.
A year ago, it was good enough to get them to the playoffs. This time, it likely will result in a bye-bye for coordinator Bob Sutton, who could be the scapegoat for the Jets' disappointing season.
Eric Mangini, choosing his words carefully Friday before the team's final practice, gave Sutton a mixed evaluation. He praised Sutton for the second-half resurgence, but Mangini made it a point to mention the slow starts - twice in the same answer.
"I've been pleased with the way that Bob has approached things, his consistency, and the defense has made a significant amount of progress," he said. "You're always looking for it to be consistent throughout the whole year. That's what you want."
Failing to build on the momentum from last season's playoff push, the defense was terrible over the first nine games, ranking 31st in yards allowed. During the bye week, they tweaked their philosophy, becoming more aggressive and using the bench more liberally than early in the season.
That, coupled with the emergence of rookies David Harris and Darrelle Revis, has allowed the Jets to climb to 22nd in total defense. But some close to the team believe the improvement can be attributed to Mangini, who has taken a more active role in the operation.
"Obviously, this year is not good enough," said Sutton, whose unit finished 20th last season. "You're in this to win and we're not winning. If you talk to the players, they'll have the same feeling. You don't want to put in this kind of time and effort and not be successful.
"I don't think any of us are happy or pleased with where we're at," he continued. "Are there some segments that have done well or players that have done well? Yeah, we'd be crazy not to say that. But it hasn't been done consistently well enough to produce the results we need."
Mangini said he won't consider any potential staff changes until after Sunday's season finale against the Chiefs (4-11) at the Meadowlands. No doubt, he's keeping an eye on the Oakland situation, where coordinator Rob Ryan - a close friend of Mangini - could be in trouble.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/fo...#ixzz2HgjjiFzs

Ace Gunner 01-11-2013 11:17 AM

Oh, and re Hali -- he has terribly slow feet. He'll never be as successful playing 43RDE. He can motor for a big guy, but he does not have the quick feet of a 43DE.

beach tribe 01-11-2013 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9305510)
He's had a DC shot. He wasn't good at it.

Missed that. Still think he's a good fit for this team.

DJ's left nut 01-11-2013 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefnj2 (Post 9305548)
For the second straight year, the Jets have followed the same pattern on defense: Lousy before the bye week, solid after the bye.
Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/fo...#ixzz2HgjjiFzs

Brian. Daboll.

But way older.