ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Home and Auto Thinking about buying a newer muscle car (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=270004)

Dayze 02-14-2013 03:43 PM

ahhh. the pre-fart can days.

HemiEd 02-14-2013 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 9403232)
I'm sure that's what it had, but damn it was a nice looking rig.

I love those cars but catch a lot of hell for liking them. Plus I don't know if the OP would want one that old since they've been of the market for awhile.

Did they put V8s in the g8s? I thought it was a neat car but didn't know of anyone that had one.

**** GM for shuttering Pontiac.

If you can find one not totally abused, those GTOs are bad fast. I don't dare **** with one in my Challenger, and it always seems like their owners have something to prove and want to race.
I still kick myself for not buying one of those G8s when they were practically giving them away after discontinuing Pontiac.

Dayze 02-14-2013 03:52 PM

proven fact: Japanese writing Stickers, and a NoS sticker (pronounced NAAAHS) make your car go faster.

oh, and an Optimus Prime transformer sticker across your entire back window.
and a huge rear spoiler to allow the back wheels to hook-up.

a few tricks of the trade offered up for free. Other tips will cost you.

Dayze 02-14-2013 04:18 PM

dang. pretty sweet deal on a Ferrari.

http://classiccars.com/listings/view...sylvania-16503

tooge 02-14-2013 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HemiEd (Post 9403238)
It was more fun back in the late 70s and early 80s before the hobby exploded, because you could actually go to a junk yard and find the cool stuff. Then, once things got going, people started buying all the cool parts and selling them at swap meets etc.

I would love to find an old jeep project for down at the lake, but I don't know crap about them.

cj2apage.com
Everything you ever wanted to know about pre 1950 jeeps. There are other sites as well like the cj5 page and others.

Radar Chief 02-14-2013 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HemiEd (Post 9403238)
It was more fun back in the late 70s and early 80s before the hobby exploded, because you could actually go to a junk yard and find the cool stuff. Then, once things got going, people started buying all the cool parts and selling them at swap meets etc.

I would love to find an old jeep project for down at the lake, but I don't know crap about them.

The thing about Jeep CJ’s is they’ve grown a cult following that over values those old Jeeps so the buy in gets pretty freakin expensive for no more vehicle than you get.
If you’re just looking for an open top 4X4 Jeep and don’t necessarily need an old classic like a CJ look at the Wrangler YJ’s. They’re the outcast of the ¼ ton 4X4 Jeeps and are the least desireable so they go fairly cheap. The ‘90’s and up had the EFI 4.0L I-6 which has a solid reputation as a torque and reliable motor, if a bit of a gas guzzler for it’s size. If you’re looking to modify one get an ’88-89 with the 2.5L 4 banger, because there’s nothing in that driveline you want so it won’t hurt to send that stuff to the scrap heap when replacing with heavier duty parts.

HemiEd 02-14-2013 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tooge (Post 9403339)
cj2apage.com
Everything you ever wanted to know about pre 1950 jeeps. There are other sites as well like the cj5 page and others.

That link doesn't work for me?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Radar Chief (Post 9403354)
The thing about Jeep CJ’s is they’ve grown a cult following that over values those old Jeeps so the buy in gets pretty freakin expensive for no more vehicle than you get.
If you’re just looking for an open top 4X4 Jeep and don’t necessarily need an old classic like a CJ look at the Wrangler YJ’s. They’re the outcast of the ¼ ton 4X4 Jeeps and are the least desireable so they go fairly cheap. The ‘90’s and up had the EFI 4.0L I-6 which has a solid reputation as a torque and reliable motor, if a bit of a gas guzzler for it’s size. If you’re looking to modify one get an ’88-89 with the 2.5L 4 banger, because there’s nothing in that driveline you want so it won’t hurt to send that stuff to the scrap heap when replacing with heavier duty parts.

I don't really care too much, cheap is better.:D I just want it for taking the boat a half mile to the ramp, and cruising around a little.
I have looked at them a little on CL up here, and some are pretty reasonable. Mostly in the 80s like you say. It hasn't worked it's way up the priority list to act on it yet though.

Radar Chief 02-14-2013 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dayze (Post 9403263)
proven fact: Japanese writing Stickers, and a NoS sticker (pronounced NAAAHS) make your car go faster.

oh, and an Optimus Prime transformer sticker across your entire back window.
and a huge rear spoiler to allow the back wheels to hook-up.

a few tricks of the trade offered up for free. Other tips will cost you.

I’ll have you know I was guaranteed by the manufacturer that the sticker that came with my Lunati cam was worth 20 rear wheel horses on its own.

http://i47.tinypic.com/347e0rp.jpg

Radar Chief 02-14-2013 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HemiEd (Post 9403357)
That link doesn't work for me?

I don't really care too much, cheap is better.:D I just want it for taking the boat a half mile to the ramp, and cruising around a little.
I have looked at them a little on CL up here, and some are pretty reasonable. Mostly in the 80s like you say. It hasn't worked it's way up the priority list to act on it yet though.

Understandable. :thumb:
Sounds like a YJ Wrangler would be right up your alley. You’ll instantly recognize one by the square headlights, universally hated by “real” Jeep owners. ;)

BlackHelicopters 02-14-2013 06:01 PM

Corvette. As much as you can afford.

Exoter175 02-14-2013 06:24 PM

Here's where I make the call. In 20 years, what is going to be worth more? A C5/C6 base vette, or a Terminator?

The Terminator is like the crown jewel of the Mustang world, it embodies everything that is, was, and will be the pony car wars. Light, supercharged, 6 speed, IRS, the absolute fastest thing made at the time in that price range. You're talking about a car that could blow the doors off of a newer C6 Z06 with some breathing mods, and in much smaller production.

The Terminator in 20-30 years is going to be what the "Fastback" is right now to collectors, but far more expensive due to production.

As for the rest of the cars mentioned, the new GTO's should be a big pass. They are fat pigs. You won't do well on a track with them in a straight line or in the turns. It is a fun car, but it was not made to do well at any single purpose, other than daily drivability. It does do that pretty well.

The Chargers should be passed on, they are all a complete abomination and a giant sign for people being swindled out of what COULD have been a great reboot. Instead they just wanted to cash in on people who couldn't afford the new camaro reboot or the new challenger reboot.

As far as newer cars goes, it comes down to 2012+ Mustang 5.0 vs. New Camaro. If you add in older cars and consider all around practicality, the Terminator Cobra is the best of all possible worlds hands down, and if you want to be specific, get an 04 not an 03.

However, if you have money to put into a car, I'd even suggest a Trans Am WS6 or a Firehawk. They just look so damned good and make a shit ton of Horsepower for next to nothing.

I'm still going with a Terminator, and not because I own a Mustang :D

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Te0V71sGoxA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

lewdog 02-14-2013 06:24 PM

Mustang 5.0 would be my choice for a car in this category and I want one after my next car but I have to be a little more practical first, lol.

RedDread 02-14-2013 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exoter175 (Post 9403625)
Here's where I make the call. In 20 years, what is going to be worth more? A C5/C6 base vette, or a Terminator?

The Terminator is like the crown jewel of the Mustang world, it embodies everything that is, was, and will be the pony car wars. Light, supercharged, 6 speed, IRS, the absolute fastest thing made at the time in that price range. You're talking about a car that could blow the doors off of a newer C6 Z06 with some breathing mods, and in much smaller production.

The Terminator in 20-30 years is going to be what the "Fastback" is right now to collectors, but far more expensive due to production.

As for the rest of the cars mentioned, the new GTO's should be a big pass. They are fat pigs. You won't do well on a track with them in a straight line or in the turns. It is a fun car, but it was not made to do well at any single purpose, other than daily drivability. It does do that pretty well.

The Chargers should be passed on, they are all a complete abomination and a giant sign for people being swindled out of what COULD have been a great reboot. Instead they just wanted to cash in on people who couldn't afford the new camaro reboot or the new challenger reboot.

As far as newer cars goes, it comes down to 2012+ Mustang 5.0 vs. New Camaro. If you add in older cars and consider all around practicality, the Terminator Cobra is the best of all possible worlds hands down, and if you want to be specific, get an 04 not an 03.

However, if you have money to put into a car, I'd even suggest a Trans Am WS6 or a Firehawk. They just look so damned good and make a shit ton of Horsepower for next to nothing.

I'm still going with a Terminator, and not because I own a Mustang :D

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Te0V71sGoxA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The 5.0 Mustangs still have a linked rear suspension and you can barely see out of the Camaro, plus the interior is absolute garbage. Every one of the new stock or next level up (GT-SS-R/T) in the new generation has its faults. Don't just pick and choose what to gloss over.

Molitoth 02-14-2013 07:14 PM

Do you want to stand out, or just get the same car everyone else has?

That's how I feel about Mustangs and Cameros.

Sorry.
*Ducks and hides*

hometeam 02-14-2013 07:17 PM

I have had all kinds of cars. Big HP subarus, high strung NA 4 cylinders, mustangs, HUGE HP fbodys etc etc.

If your going to go with a newer muscle car, and not mod it, get a mustang.

If you want to spend just a little money to go fast, forget the BS, buy a 2000ish f body roller and throw a stock 5.3 with an 88mm turbo at it. 9 second car. Done deal~

All that being said, my next car is going to be a super sick extrafast EVO~