ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Need advice on cutting cable cost. (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=271843)

NewChief 11-22-2013 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 10212230)
Correct. You can do this with the smartphone apps as well, while you're waiting for the keyboard.

I got XBMC official remote to work, and I can bring up the keypad on it... but it doesn't type anything into the fields when I type on it.

NewChief 11-22-2013 04:19 PM

Okay. Keyboard on ipad works fine with this now, so that's awesome. I'm on step 17 of the install, and I go to do the "add-ons" and there isn't a list. Just two dots where it should say "add-on repository" and "video add on"

Here's my exact problem from the xbmc boards, and they don't tell you how to fix it:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=171603

Quote:

I'm running XBMC enhanced on a GBox Midnight MX2. I had to update the firmware recently for the MX2. Before doing so I backed up the XBMC using the Backup program.

After the firmware update, I restored the settings/Add-ons via running restore. However, now when I select System/Settings --> Add-ons--> Get Add-ons, the Add-ons list appears and they all are listed as enabled, but when I select any of them, all I get is (..) and an empty directory.

I've tried doing a context menu "Force Refresh" but that hasn't helped.

Any Ideas how I can fix the problem?

Fish 11-22-2013 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 10212345)
Okay. Keyboard on ipad works fine with this now, so that's awesome. I'm on step 17 of the install, and I go to do the "add-ons" and there isn't a list. Just two dots where it should say "add-on repository" and "video add on"

Here's my exact problem from the xbmc boards, and they don't tell you how to fix it:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=171603

Right-click and select Check for Updates and Force Refresh. Do this several times. It takes a while for it to kick in, as it's downloading in the background. Do each several times, and then click on the repo listing again. It should show Working and the spinning progress bar, and eventually show you the contents. Sometimes the sources of these get overloaded. It can be confusing at first, but be patient it will work...

Mecca 11-22-2013 05:01 PM

I got rid of DirecTV and now just pay for comcast internet, since I got the 60 dollar package they gave me a box to get like 15 channels or something, not that I care about them.

I watch all my stuff through the net with sites like project free tv and movie4k.

Silock 11-23-2013 04:39 AM

So, yeah, 1080i or 720p sports streams? That's what I need to cut the cable.

NewChief 11-23-2013 09:06 AM

Kids are watching a streaming YouTube video and I'm taking a dump. Video ends, but I'm not finished. I know they're about to come bothering me. Whip out phone, open Xbmc remote, restart video. Operation poop in peace is still a go.

ragedogg69 11-23-2013 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 10213098)
So, yeah, 1080i or 720p sports streams? That's what I need to cut the cable.

That is a tough one. I have come across HD VLC playlists for NHL, BIG 10 and Pac-12 Networks. NFL gamepass if you can get an Argentina proxy to work. Navi X occasionally has HD sport streams. They are tough to find there. OTA antenna for local stuff in HD. Cable channels are streamed but not in HD.

Streaming is getting better and better. It wont be long before a 720p stream becomes the standard IMHO.

ragedogg69 11-23-2013 11:15 AM

I should also recommend the ESPN Video add on. Basically it takes all the videos from espn.com in HD. In the mornings, I use it to make an old fashioned SportsCenter, back when it was non stop highlights and no analysis.

NewChief 11-23-2013 11:57 PM

Love/hate relationship going on. My Gbox seems to crash at the worst times: like when my techno impatient wife is sitting down to watch something with me. Netflix sucks on it, ice films is spotty as far as reliability, and I can't get 1channel going yet. Some issues may be that my internet connection isn't fast enough for something that isn't stream optimized like Netflix. Anyway, happier with netflix on the Wii at this point though I really like the potential of xbmc. I just can't reach it yet evidently.

ragedogg69 11-24-2013 05:08 PM

thats the shame of andoid boxes. they are cheap but new builds. if bug free is what you need for the WAF, your best bet would be a NUC.

NewChief 11-27-2013 08:55 AM

Finally got 1channel up and running. It's a game changer.

Kidd Lex 11-27-2013 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 10228606)
Finally got 1channel up and running. It's a game changer.

Please elaborate :hmmm:

I'm thinking of booting Dtv as well...

NewChief 11-27-2013 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The God Hypothesis (Post 10228631)
Please elaborate :hmmm:

I'm thinking of booting Dtv as well...

It's just more developed with more reliable streams than ice films.

Since installing it this morning, I've caught up on the Walking Dead and my kids are now watching the new Percy Jackson.

Oh, just so you know: 1channel is just an add on for XBMC.

Skyy God 11-27-2013 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 10212165)
So if I get a keyboard that works with the gbox, then I'll just be able to type in all the URLs and paths and such, correct?

Which Gbox do you have? I'm considering one instead of re-jailbreaking my Apple TV2.

The Franchise 11-27-2013 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 10213173)
Kids are watching a streaming YouTube video and I'm taking a dump. Video ends, but I'm not finished. I know they're about to come bothering me. Whip out phone, open Xbmc remote, restart video. Operation poop in peace is still a go.

That's worth all the money in the world.