ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Poop Yep, Alex Smith is here to stay. (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=272560)

GoChargers 04-28-2013 12:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex Smith Fan (Post 9639976)
yeah, i could see how another year of watching Matt Cassell, and Brady Quinn would of been much more exciting, than watching a guy who knows his role, plays it well, and wins.

ROFL ROFL ROFL

Quote:

I wouldnt talk bolt boy, you are now the laughing stock of the league with your draft pick of Teo.
The Chargers were already a laughingstock before Te'o.

Mav 04-28-2013 01:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoChargers (Post 9639982)
ROFL ROFL ROFL

The Chargers were already a laughingstock before Te'o.

hey boss. Tell me something. IN the last two years, who has a better winning record.....Phillip Rivers, or Alex Smith?

GoChargers 04-28-2013 01:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex Smith Fan (Post 9639983)
hey boss. Tell me something. IN the last two years, who has a better winning record.....Phillip Rivers, or Alex Smith?

Who had the better coaching and supporting cast the last two years: Philip Rivers, or Alex Smith?

Who's been benched for Shaun Hill, David Carr, Troy Smith, J.T. O'Sullivan, and Colin Kaepernick: Philip Rivers, or Alex Smith?

Who has an atrocious 2-27-1 record in games where the other team scores 24+ points: Philip Rivers, or Alex Smith?

New World Order 04-28-2013 01:13 AM

I like when you debate with an Alex Smith supporter the first 6 years don't count, but suddenly when all the pieces are in place the last 1.5 seasons in his career are the only ones that count. Let's not rule out that for years he faced the weakest division in the entire NFL.

It's really hard handing the ball off to Frank Gore isn't it Smith Fan?

Ultra Peanut 04-28-2013 03:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex Smith Fan (Post 9639951)
this is a place, where joy and optimism, come to die.

Hi! Welcome to Kansas City Chiefs football!

ayleswbj 04-28-2013 04:25 AM

I know that Alex is ripped on here quite often, I am one of the people who is a supporter of the trade. 2nd round was steep for sure, but i think pretty highly of Alex. If you look closely at his numbers you can see that 27 of his ints and half of his lost fumbles came within his first 2 years. That was a 20 year old kid who just wasnt ready to play. Take the worst recent Chiefs team and times that by 50 and that was the team he played with his first 3 years.
Mike Nolan almost ended his career by throwing him under the bus and saying he wasnt injured when he needed his shoulder reconstructed. all the talent the 49ers have and everyone of them says he is the toughest player they know. I am pretty intrigued by what he will do. I watched all of his games at Utah and followed him, he is extremely intelligent. His mother actually was begging him to play football at Harvard but he wanted to play at a major college. He graduated in 2 years there. He knows the WC system well having been under Mike Mcarthy so there wont be a huge learning curve. I think our team has quite a bit of talent to put around him as well. Anyhow for all the bashing we have to admit he brings something fresh to our team. Smart, extremely tough, rarely turns the ball over. He is accurate and his yrd per attempt are really good which is a huge measure among NFL evaluators. Its an indication of if a QB can really read multiple defenses in a short amount of time. Even if he is dink an dunk he did it for a reason. But yes a second rounder is steep for almost anyone these days with the way the NFL goes. I just think Reid likes him as much as me.

J Diddy 04-28-2013 04:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by New World Order (Post 9640004)
I like when you debate with an Alex Smith supporter the first 6 years don't count, but suddenly when all the pieces are in place the last 1.5 seasons in his career are the only ones that count. Let's not rule out that for years he faced the weakest division in the entire NFL.

Like it's going to be hard handing it off to Jamaal Charles. Truth be told his stats would be very similar to Eli's except that Eli has managed to remain healthy.

We don't focus on the last 4 years what we see is gradual improvement over the last 4 and a lot of misses games (which is my biggest fear)

ayleswbj 04-28-2013 04:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Diddy (Post 9640080)
Like it's going to be hard handing it off to Jamaal Charles. Truth be told his stats would be very similar to Eli's except that Eli has managed to remain healthy.

We don't focus on the last 4 years what we see is gradual improvement over the last 4 and a lot of misses games (which is my biggest fear)

I agree on the missed games, its a concern with any Qb who has had 2 shoulder reconstructions. He has been pretty healthy for awhile, the concussion just happens. With the way the NFL is today there is no avoiding missed time. He never would have missed games except Nolan threw him in there while his shoulder wasnt healed and then had to have another one. But in his second year he became one of the only QBs in NFL history to start and actually play every single snap of every game. He never once came out. I think that is more of the Alex we are getting. The freak shoulder is a thing of the past. I guess we will find out, because Alex has stated publicly he will take a sack to avoid turnovers and keep field position for the D. All those sacks add up

ayleswbj 04-28-2013 05:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by New World Order (Post 9640004)

Steve Youngs first 6 years in Pro Football: 40 TD and 46 ints and 54% completion. Didnt become a full time starter until 29. Total late bloomer and had a rollercoaster beginning to his career. USFL, Tampa Bay, Then played back up for a long time. Different but definitely in line with Smith's crazy career.

Ultra Peanut 04-28-2013 06:03 AM

Know who else got a late start to QB stardom?

That's right: Hitler.

the Talking Can 04-28-2013 06:09 AM

you don't trade 2 seconds for a QB that was benched...

sorry, meant to say: you don't trade 2 seconds for a QB that was benched and then not sign him to a long term contract....he'll be extended next year

and will be our QB until the next 49er backup is available...per Clark Hunt

cockeyes 04-28-2013 06:09 AM

Did you guys think they traded two second round picks for him so he could QB this team for only one year?

This isn't rocket science. Reid/Dorsey believe in him.

gblowfish 04-28-2013 07:42 AM

If Alex Smiff shows a penchant for throwing six yard passes on third and eight, then I will annoint him Elvis Bono and call for his crucifixion.

Until then, I'm willing to give the guy a chance.

No reason to freak out until we see how he does.

milkman 04-28-2013 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gblowfish (Post 9640171)
If Alex Smiff shows a penchant for throwing six yard passes on third and eight, then I will annoint him Elvis Bono and call for his crucifixion.

The 9ers had one of the worst 3rd down conversion percentages in the league for exactly this reason.

MTG#10 04-28-2013 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 9638188)
It's pretty clear at this point that Alex was the best move we could have made unless we were going to hope for another 2-14 season next year. As long as they don't give him an extension before he shows that he doesn't suck, I'm fine with it.

Are you fine with what we gave up for him?
Quote:

Originally Posted by GoChargers (Post 9639990)
Who had the better coaching and supporting cast the last two years: Philip Rivers, or Alex Smith?

Who's been benched for Shaun Hill, David Carr, Troy Smith, J.T. O'Sullivan, and Colin Kaepernick: Philip Rivers, or Alex Smith?

Who has an atrocious 2-27-1 record in games where the other team scores 24+ points: Philip Rivers, or Alex Smith?

Checkmate