ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Computers Google introduces Chromecast - 35 bucks?!? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=274767)

hometeam 08-07-2013 11:57 AM

Tried to buy one today. None available. can order from google for 3-4 weeks shipping time :/ They are bringing 100 bucks on ebay and amazon

DaFace 08-09-2013 07:45 AM

http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/08...n-cyanogenmod/

Quote:

Koush Demonstrates Streaming To Chromecast With Any Media App On CyanogenMod
Posted by Jeremiah Rice in Chromecast, News

Ever since Jelly Bean, the reasons to switch to a custom ROM (as opposed to a stock, rooted build) have been slowly shrinking. But today ClockworkMod Recovery developer Koushik "Koush" Dutta gave us a reason to be incredibly excited for upcoming builds of CyanogenMod. With a little tweaking of the famous ROM family, he's managed to integrate Chromecast streaming across the system, making any video or audio app compatible.

Koush's demonstration video is convincing. Start an applicable audio or video player, and a "Play on Chromecast" notification will pop into the tray. Tap it, and the file will play on your Chromecast TV dongle, no muss and no fuss. And more importantly, there's no need for developers to update their apps with the Chromecast API. Presumably this addition to the CyanogenMod ROM includes the ability to stream local files and cloud files, as Koush demonstrated previously.

This method seems to work so seamlessly between Android, Chromecast, and any apps that use media APIs, that you have to wonder why Google didn't try to do something similar by baking in some of this functionality into Android 4.3. As usual with CyanogenMod, there's no word on when end users will see this added functionality, but I'd expect it to pop up in CyanogenMod 10.2 builds (Android 4.3) before too long.
:rockon:

DaFace 08-21-2013 08:10 PM

This is a little complex, but it's a proof of concept if nothing else that Chromecast can be used to play ANY video file from another network computer. This thing's gonna be a lot of fun once the development community catches up with it.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/08...ly-any-format/

AustinChief 08-21-2013 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 9870210)

I have been thinking about this and I wonder if Google is letting developers do this instead of doing it in house because they don't want to be responsible for anything that lets users stream protected content.

pr_capone 08-21-2013 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 9905157)
This is a little complex, but it's a proof of concept if nothing else that Chromecast can be used to play ANY video file from another network computer. This thing's gonna be a lot of fun once the development community catches up with it.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/08...ly-any-format/

Yup... just bought a Chromecast.

pr_capone 09-09-2013 09:01 PM

Boooooo....

just got my chromecast in the mail today, went to get all this set up, only to find that Google has squashed the streaming of personal content to anyone other than an official Chomecast developer. Even the fling java applet no longer works.

jjjayb 09-09-2013 10:35 PM

As I sit here watching the game streaming from a great internet stream to my big screen tv through my Roku, I think I'll be okay without Chromecast for awhile.

bowener 09-09-2013 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pr_capone (Post 9958571)
Boooooo....

just got my chromecast in the mail today, went to get all this set up, only to find that Google has squashed the streaming of personal content to anyone other than an official Chomecast developer. Even the fling java applet no longer works.

Does this mean you cannot drop video files into a Chrome tab and watch them on your TV anymore?

Shaid 09-09-2013 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bowener (Post 9959109)
Does this mean you cannot drop video files into a Chrome tab and watch them on your TV anymore?

Watching NFL Sunday Ticket on my bigscreen by streaming through a chromecast right now. Sure seems to work fine to me.

Shaid 09-09-2013 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pr_capone (Post 9905258)
Yup... just bought a Chromecast.

Just bought my second one. Great little device.

pr_capone 09-10-2013 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaid (Post 9959248)
Watching NFL Sunday Ticket on my bigscreen by streaming through a chromecast right now. Sure seems to work fine to me.

What all do you use it for? Netflix and youtube? That is about all I can see me using it for until Google gets their head out of their ass and allows us to stream local files.

teedubya 09-10-2013 12:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaid (Post 9959248)

How did you do this? I have a Chromecast... and I've not seen this option.

pr_capone 09-10-2013 01:49 AM

Ok... so I was able to play MP4 from my personal stash on my tv by throwing it into chrome. I would have to convert EVERYTHING to mp4 to make this useable as I had intended.

I'm sticking to my WD LIVE until something evolves with this device.

DaFace 09-10-2013 07:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pr_capone (Post 9959379)
What all do you use it for? Netflix and youtube? That is about all I can see me using it for until Google gets their head out of their ass and allows us to stream local files.

While I understand it sucks that it doesn't work the way you wanted to, it's not like they've been unclear about what it can do. Eventually, I'm sure they'll have a DLNA-like ability to play other files from the network, but they've specifically said that people need to wait for the developer toolkit to be finalized before tinkering with home grown apps.

It'll get there - just not when it's first released. It is Google after all.

Great Expectations 09-10-2013 09:41 AM

My Chromecast came in the mail yesterday. I was hoping to be able to watch live streams on my TV. I'm seeing some conflicting reports.

How do you watch Sunday Ticket on Chromecast?