ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Other Sports Which Dream Team is better, 1992 or 2012? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=281234)

RustShack 06-14-2020 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tk13 (Post 15020688)
Far be it for me to defend Christian Laettner, but this is some serious revisionist history. Laettner was a starter on 4 Final Four teams, won two titles, player of the year, all kinds of awards. Was considered an all-time clutch college player, including two buzzer beaters to send them to the Final Four. Shaq was a monster though, no doubt. But considering whoever they chose was going to ride the bench anyway, it was pretty easy to go with the guy who'd just led his team to two straight titles and was considered one of the greatest college players of all time.

How did his NBA career go? I’m pretty intrigued, I’d never heard the name but I was also 3 1/2 during the 92 Olympics.

Megatron96 06-14-2020 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RustShack (Post 15020717)
How did his NBA career go? I’m pretty intrigued, I’d never heard the name but I was also 3 1/2 during the 92 Olympics.

https://www.landofbasketball.com/nba...n_laettner.htm

RustShack 06-14-2020 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Megatron96 (Post 15020728)

Honestly that’s more than I expected. I figured he was more of a bust that didn’t last long. Surprised the name doesn’t stick out to me, but I also didn’t really really start following until around 03.

Megatron96 06-14-2020 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RustShack (Post 15020740)
Honestly that’s more than I expected. I figured he was more of a bust that didn’t last long. Surprised the name doesn’t stick out to me, but I also didn’t really really start following until around 03.

He had about 6 solid seasons to begin his career. however, he never really 'wowed' the way he did in college, and he never really found a home with an NBA team.

His NBA career was overshadowed by his collegiate achievements:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_Laettner

But he was a solid NBA player, just not a superstar, which most thought he would be. That high expectation vs. reality made him forgettable in most fan's minds, IMO.

cosmo20002 06-14-2020 05:30 PM

Is this a joke thread? 92, easy.

Some like to point out that Bird and Magic were washed up and were just there as names. Magic had sat out a season, but was only 32 and his prior season he his averages were 19/7/12. He could play.

And Bird's back was wrecked and the Olympics were his final games, yet even with the bad back in a physical era, he still went for 20/10/7 his final season leading to the Olympics.

Tribal Warfare 06-14-2020 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Megatron96 (Post 15020757)
He had about 6 solid seasons to begin his career. however, he never really 'wowed' the way he did in college, and he never really found a home with an NBA team.

His NBA career was overshadowed by his collegiate achievements:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_Laettner

But he was a solid NBA player, just not a superstar, which most thought he would be. That high expectation vs. reality made him forgettable in most fan's minds, IMO.

Laettner was a renowned prima donna entitled asshole

Halfcan 06-14-2020 05:35 PM

1992 Dream Team was the best of the best in history.

scho63 06-14-2020 05:49 PM

David Robinson
Larry Bird
Michael Jordan
Charles Barkley
Magic Johnson

That's one hell of a starting 5

BigCatDaddy 06-14-2020 05:54 PM

This thread makes me miss the days of the dominant centers and PFs.

Spott 06-14-2020 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCatDaddy (Post 15020836)

There were so many great centers back then compared to now. Hakeem was an all-time great and he didn’t even make the team. The surplus of dominant centers at the time was probably one of the reasons Shaq wasn’t on that team.

vailpass 06-14-2020 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCatDaddy (Post 15020836)

And defense. But yeah, the power forwards back then were a joy to watch. And the middle came with a price.

DRM08 06-14-2020 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raiderhader (Post 15020689)
Shaq did require a bit of refining coming out of college.

But in 1992, the rest of the world stood no chance of slowing him down...especially if he was on a team full of other mega-talented players.

DRM08 06-14-2020 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spott (Post 15020899)
There were so many great centers back then compared to now. Hakeem was an all-time great and he didn’t even make the team. The surplus of dominant centers at the time was probably one of the reasons Shaq wasn’t on that team.

Hakeem was only left out due to citizenship issue. He became American citizen in 1993. If only this could have been pushed through a year earlier...

RustShack 06-14-2020 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spott (Post 15020899)

I mean there could be today, but for the most part they can’t keep up with all the 3-4 guard lineups and athletic forwards. It’s not like people suddenly shrunk, if anything there more tall athletic players.

Pitt Gorilla 06-14-2020 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tk13 (Post 15020688)
Far be it for me to defend Christian Laettner, but this is some serious revisionist history. Laettner was a starter on 4 Final Four teams, won two titles, player of the year, all kinds of awards. Was considered an all-time clutch college player, including two buzzer beaters to send them to the Final Four. Shaq was a monster though, no doubt. But considering whoever they chose was going to ride the bench anyway, it was pretty easy to go with the guy who'd just led his team to two straight titles and was considered one of the greatest college players of all time.

Let me be clear here; there was NOTHING revisionist about it. I was/am a Timberwolves fan. I wanted literally anyone BUT Laettner in that stupid draft. Seriously, anyone. So, yeah, I knew exactly who he was and how that was going to go down. Who do you think drafted his worthless ass?

Edit: I STILL have that NBA almanac that included the draft-eligible players. ****ing Laettner.