ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Other Sports U.S. soccer ratings top NBA Finals (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=284773)

|Zach| 07-03-2014 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr. tegu (Post 10729328)
I get what you are saying, but I can't help but think they should be more consistently on target.

Fair enough. To me it just points to how hard it is to score a goal at the highest of levels.

'Hamas' Jenkins 07-03-2014 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by |Zach| (Post 10729335)
Fair enough. To me it just points to how hard it is to score a goal at the highest of levels.

That's the problem I have with soccer. I feel like it's a game that is fundamentally imbalanced towards the defense; that's not the player's fault, but it rewards flukish behavior nearly as much as excellent play.

To me, it's akin to playing baseball with 12 fielders with a 450 foot fence or football with three downs and 20 yards to get a first. Sure, it's possible, but it's unnecessarily difficult.

(Cue: "you're an impatient American")

ThaVirus 07-03-2014 12:02 PM

The Super Bowl ratings have been in the 90 millions recently and rising, right?

Anyone have NFL postseason game ratings?

And regular season while you're at it?

K thanx!

Titty Meat 07-03-2014 12:02 PM

3 different threads soccer fans are bitching because people dont like the shitty sport

|Zach| 07-03-2014 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 10729342)
That's the problem I have with soccer. I feel like it's a game that is fundamentally imbalanced towards the defense; that's not the player's fault, but it rewards flukish behavior nearly as much as excellent play.

To me, it's akin to playing baseball with 12 fielders with a 450 foot fence or football with three downs and 20 yards to get a first. Sure, it's possible, but it's unnecessarily difficult.

Ha, so seems you wanted to be offended before I could offend you.

It is absolutely weighted towards defenders and one moment of hopeful swatting can undue amazing build up work that started 20 passes ago. Can be cruel and unjust...lower lows and higher highs when it all comes together.

ThaVirus 07-03-2014 12:04 PM

I don't even like soccer but it's the most popular sport in the ****ing world.

You just can't hate on it.

ChiefsCountry 07-03-2014 12:06 PM

Interesting about the NBA ratings is that the Spurs have 4 of the 10 lowest NBA Finals ratings. US sports watching population doesn't like the San Antonio Spurs. Its a shame that Kobe is a hurt bitch anymore because a Heat/Lakers final would be ratings boom.

ptlyon 07-03-2014 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 10729347)
I don't even like soccer but it's the most popular sport in the ****ing world.

You just can't hate on it.

Bullshit

|Zach| 07-03-2014 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry (Post 10729351)
Interesting about the NBA ratings is that the Spurs have 4 of the 10 lowest NBA Finals ratings. US sports watching population doesn't like the San Antonio Spurs. Its a shame that Kobe is a hurt bitch anymore because a Heat/Lakers final would be ratings boom.

Ok Roger Goodell.

Swanman 07-03-2014 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by |Zach| (Post 10729345)
Ha, so seems you wanted to be offended before I could offend you.

It is absolutely weighted towards defenders and one moment of hopeful swatting can undue amazing build up work that started 20 passes ago. Can be cruel and unjust...lower lows and higher highs when it all comes together.

In a way, soccer striking is similar to baseball hitting. You have tons of whiffs and near-misses and every once in a while a hitter truly centers up a ball and drives it. The difference between soccer is that hitters in baseball get lots and lots of chances to hit a baseball, where in soccer you only get a handful of chances during a game.

As to why many shots are off target, I think it mainly has to do with soccer players almost never being in space near the goal. Every once in a while you have a defensive breakdown or a guy like Messi shaking free of everybody but normally a striker is working in an extremely confined space with almost no decision making time.

Titty Meat 07-03-2014 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry (Post 10729351)

Thats because people are stupid and still think the Spurs play the same style they did 10 years ago.

Baby Lee 07-03-2014 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chocolate Hog (Post 10729344)
3 different threads soccer fans are bitching because people dont like the shitty sport

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/bd0erNx6rWw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

GloryDayz 07-03-2014 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 10729342)

I agree. "The world" is blind to some obvious faults, and are purists to say the very least. Further, they have no intention to let the U.S. weigh-in on what most us us to see as obvious flaws in the game. But what can you do???

Oh, and "you're an impatient American"............

|Zach| 07-03-2014 12:13 PM

It is kind of funny seeing the contrast. Dana White one time went on a really long anti soccer rant between doing whatever he does to build up the millionth UFC event in a year and his main gripe was that the goal was so big and scoring was so ridiculously easy that it made soccer a sham...a ball that small being able to be shot in an area that huge.

Former USMNT player and former Wizard Jimmy Conrad invited him to come out to a game and play but nothing really ever came of it.

ChiefsCountry 07-03-2014 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chocolate Hog (Post 10729356)
Thats because people are stupid and still think the Spurs play the same style they did 10 years ago.

No its because basketball is star driven. Duncan has always been really good, but he is a boring ass. Their other two stars are a Frenchman and an Argentinan. American population isn't going to like that. Leonard could change a lot of that for the Spurs IMO.