ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Eric Berry ‘a bit surprised’ on lack of extension progress (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=300780)

DaneMcCloud 07-09-2016 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BleedingRed (Post 12308841)
I know they are different positions but, these numbers really put into perspective how good Peters was last year

Your stupid ass will be banned again soon, houstonwhodat.

Hog's Gone Fishin 07-09-2016 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staylor26 (Post 12308883)
I'd rather not overpay also, but why the **** are some of you talking about Berry like he didn't just play at an All-Pro level at a new (and ideal) position less than a year after battling cancer?

:facepalm:

IMO he didn't play at an all Pro level. But his popularity and cancer comeback won him a probowl anyway. Don't get me wrong, he's good, he's above average but to be the highest paid safety in the league is not validated.

DaneMcCloud 07-09-2016 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staylor26 (Post 12308883)
I'd rather not overpay also, but why the **** are some of you talking about Berry like he didn't just play at an All-Pro level at a new (and ideal) position less than a year after battling cancer?

:facepalm:

He did not play at an All Pro level.

3.5 tackles a game and 2 Int's in 16 games aren't stellar numbers.

It was an honorary nod due to the cancer.

Chief Northman 07-09-2016 08:14 PM

If Berry does indeed get paid as the top safety in the league it will be more for what he represents for the Chiefs brand and marketing than for what he brings on the field. Solid contributor, but not meriting of the biggest contract for his position. Love his run support, ability to blitz when rarely called upon, and short to mid-depth coverage. But a middle field roamer who provides help over the top he is not.
If he and his agent ask for the moon, Dorsey would be wise to let him play out under the tag. Invest in Poe and Fisher instead. This draft with the plethora of dbs selected was designed to fill some holes and bring some young athletic depth to the backend. Will not be shocked to see Murray, Nelson, White, Peters and Russell become the future top dogs in the Chiefs secondary.

staylor26 07-09-2016 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 12308893)
He did not play at an All Pro level.

3.5 tackles a game and 2 Int's in 16 games aren't stellar numbers.

It was an honorary nod due to the cancer.

I couldn't care less about the stats. I watch a ton of NFL football and Berry was playing like a top 3 safety last year once he got going. We're consistently one of, if not the best, teams in the league at defending TE's year in and year out because of Berry.

I don't think he's the best safety in the NFL, but he's clearly top 3-5 going into 2016. I don't think he's getting enough credit.

Chief Roundup 07-09-2016 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smellway (Post 12308797)
I don't believe Berry is that much better than Ron Parker. If Ron Parker had been drafted in the first round instead he'd probably be getting tons of love right now.

Last 3 seasons:

Parker - 188 tackles, 27 PD, 6 INT, 3 FF, 7 sacks (2,623 snaps)
Berry - 172 tackles, 22 PD, 5 INT, 1 FF, 3.5 sacks (2,435 snaps)

I'm sure there's some other mystical, intangible quality Eric Berry possesses though.

Flame away.

Go away Clay. They should not have let you back in here.

RunKC 07-09-2016 08:58 PM

Of course Berry didn't have as many INT's. He played almost exclusively as box safety last year and even the year before while Parker was the single high far more.
And even Branch was playing some cover safety as well.

It doesn't matter bc the Chiefs have no choice but to pay him, unless Dorsey wants a bad stigma to his name like John Elway currently has.

O.city 07-09-2016 09:14 PM

Berry didn't play as a box safety last year.

RunKC 07-09-2016 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 12309020)
Berry didn't play as a box safety last year.

Yes he did. Go watch the game at Oakland last year and you will see..

Hog's Gone Fishin 07-09-2016 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 12308994)
Of course Berry didn't have as many INT's. He played almost exclusively as box safety last year and even the year before while Parker was the single high far more.
And even Branch was playing some cover safety as well.

It doesn't matter bc the Chiefs have no choice but to pay him, unless Dorsey wants a bad stigma to his name like John Elway currently has.

doesn't matter, you should still have the ability and skills to jump a pass. There are more passes thrown to slot receivers than WO's anyway.

O.city 07-09-2016 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 12309048)
Yes he did. Go watch the game at Oakland last year and you will see..

Soo he was primarily a string safety last year, or are you basing this on 1 game?

Mr. Laz 07-09-2016 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hog Farmer (Post 12309055)
doesn't matter, you should still have the ability and skills to jump a pass. There are more passes thrown to slot receivers than WO's anyway.

Yea, but that's not really the point.

Berry was pretty decent in coverage IN THE BOX but what we really need is a guy that makes QB's afraid to throw deep unless they move him first. That changes their offense significantly.

Once again, everyone wants to keep Berry.

I would LOVE to pay Berry as salary that let's us keep him in the box where he thrives. Eric is a great run stuffer and a good box coverage guy. DJ and Berry down low makes our front 7 much improved. Berry and DJ together would make all those dink and dunk passes much harder to complete. It's where Berry belongs at this point.

Berry just seems to want elite Free safety money and that's an entirely different situation. Paying him that much wouldn't make it very difficult to keep Poe imo.

BryanBusby 07-10-2016 02:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meatloaf (Post 12308621)
I'm definitely with you on Fisher, but a bit less so on Poe (simply due to health concerns), but I'd agree that both are more crucial than Berry. Damn, I think I just agreed with Dane! :eek:

How many games has Poe missed due to injury compared to Fisher? Don't know where the **** you're going here.

Are we still pretending Poe has back aids when he was just fine by the point where therr was an actual proper amount of time to heal? Not early last season when they were so ****ed they rushed him back too fast.

BlackOp 07-10-2016 03:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smellway (Post 12308797)
I don't believe Berry is that much better than Ron Parker. If Ron Parker had been drafted in the first round instead he'd probably be getting tons of love right now.

Last 3 seasons:

Parker - 188 tackles, 27 PD, 6 INT, 3 FF, 7 sacks (2,623 snaps)
Berry - 172 tackles, 22 PD, 5 INT, 1 FF, 3.5 sacks (2,435 snaps)

I'm sure there's some other mystical, intangible quality Eric Berry possesses though.

Flame away.

I've been saying he's the most over-rated Chief for a while...in all actuality, he's the only one I can think of. He's fleeced KC for 5 years and only played for 3 1/2. When he was drafted ..he was the highest payed safety in history without playing a down.

When he left with cancer, KC actually improved on defense. Unless he has some intangible, kinetic locker-room Yoda energy that cant be quantified...I would hold out, let him play on the tag and see where he is with his recovery.

IMO ..he owes KC. They did him a solid in 2014...and have made him a very rich man. I can think of a lot of other "impact" places to spend $50 million...

Hog's Gone Fishin 07-10-2016 04:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Laz (Post 12309120)
Yea, but that's not really the point.

Berry was pretty decent in coverage IN THE BOX but what we really need is a guy that makes QB's afraid to throw deep unless they move him first. That changes their offense significantly.

Once again, everyone wants to keep Berry.

I would LOVE to pay Berry as salary that let's us keep him in the box where he thrives. Eric is a great run stuffer and a good box coverage guy. DJ and Berry down low makes our front 7 much improved. Berry and DJ together would make all those dink and dunk passes much harder to complete. It's where Berry belongs at this point.

Berry just seems to want elite Free safety money and that's an entirely different situation. Paying him that much wouldn't make it very difficult to keep Poe imo.

Maybe Berry would be an elite ILB opposite DJ.