ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Food and Drink 50 Beers to Try Before You Die (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=227168)

irishjayhawk 10-03-2010 08:12 PM

Been slacking on the beer front but hoping to pick that up.

Tonight while watching Boardwalk Empire I enjoyed Westmalle's Trappist Ale Dubbel. I wouldn't go out of my way to drink it, but solid in its own right.

Reaper16 10-23-2010 01:03 PM

Sorry, beer thread. I have ignored you. Interested parties can go to http://beeradvocate.com/user/profile/Reaper16 to see most of what I've been up to.

Hosted a party at my fabulous casa last night. The beer refuse in my fridge is crazy. There is no room in my fridge for anything other than the beer that people left in it.

Final tally of beers left in my fridge: 2x Samuel Adams Boston Lager, 1x Samuel Adams Black Lager, 2x Samuel Adams Irish Red, 2x Samuel Adams Coastal Wheat, 1x Magic Hat Hex, 19x Miller High Life, 4x Miller Lite, 11x Coors Light, 5x Keystone Light, 1x Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, 1x Sweetwater IPA, 12x Yuengling Lager, 3x Yuengling Black & Tan.

runnercyclist 10-23-2010 01:56 PM

The Harpoon Octoberfest is darn tasty.

ozarkchief 10-23-2010 04:31 PM

Goose Island Honker's Ale has been my go-to choice lately. Some pretty good stuff.

GloryDayz 10-23-2010 07:11 PM

Well, I'm on my 3,456th Guinness, I think I'm on the verge of trying another brand...

Chiefs Rool 10-23-2010 07:12 PM

I had some Dogfish Punkin beer. It's expensive as hell, but by God, that was the best pumpkin beer I have ever had.

GloryDayz 10-23-2010 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefs Rool (Post 7110309)
I had some Dogfish Punkin beer. It's expensive as hell, but by God, that was the best pumpkin beer I have ever had.

I sat my Guinness in top of a pumpkin, and it was good too..

Chiefs Rool 10-23-2010 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GloryDayz (Post 7110328)
I sat my Guinness in top of a pumpkin, and it was good too..

ya, Guinness can hit the spot. Right now I got me a Stella Artois and am enjoying that

Shag 10-24-2010 10:55 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Darkness Day was yesterday. Up at 4:30, in line and drinking by 6. Had 6 guys, a canopy, a grill, bunch of snack food, and about 60 beers. Had a good number of good beers - highlights were the 2007 Darkness, and my first taste of Utopias. Discovered that Chef Shack Indian-spiced mini donuts go together phenomenally with 2009 Darkness. Left at about 5pm - epic day, full of good beer, good food, and good company.

Here's a late-morning pic of some of our bigger beers:

NewChief 10-24-2010 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 7109377)
Sorry, beer thread. I have ignored you. Interested parties can go to http://beeradvocate.com/user/profile/Reaper16 to see most of what I've been up to.

Hosted a party at my fabulous casa last night. The beer refuse in my fridge is crazy. There is no room in my fridge for anything other than the beer that people left in it.

Final tally of beers left in my fridge: 2x Samuel Adams Boston Lager, 1x Samuel Adams Black Lager, 2x Samuel Adams Irish Red, 2x Samuel Adams Coastal Wheat, 1x Magic Hat Hex, 19x Miller High Life, 4x Miller Lite, 11x Coors Light, 5x Keystone Light, 1x Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, 1x Sweetwater IPA, 12x Yuengling Lager, 3x Yuengling Black & Tan.

Dude. You're going to have to perform an exorcism on your fridge or something.... Keystone Light?

I can just imagine the look you gave whoever showed up with that shit.

ceebz 10-24-2010 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefs Rool (Post 7110309)

I enjoy it as well. Shipyard is my favorite pumpkin brew though.

Reaper16 10-24-2010 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shag (Post 7111462)
Darkness Day was yesterday. Up at 4:30, in line and drinking by 6. Had 6 guys, a canopy, a grill, bunch of snack food, and about 60 beers. Had a good number of good beers - highlights were the 2007 Darkness, and my first taste of Utopias. Discovered that Chef Shack Indian-spiced mini donuts go together phenomenally with 2009 Darkness. Left at about 5pm - epic day, full of good beer, good food, and good company.

Here's a late-morning pic of some of our bigger beers:

Can you mail me the 2007 Darkness bottle if you still have it? I would LOVE to have an empty bottle of that. It's my favorite label in all of beer. I mean, look at my username.

KCUnited 10-24-2010 11:37 AM

Seeyoulator Doppelbock.

Shag 10-24-2010 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 7111545)
Can you mail me the 2007 Darkness bottle if you still have it? I would LOVE to have an empty bottle of that. It's my favorite label in all of beer. I mean, look at my username.

Sorry, man - that one's going on my shelf. Only one I've got. It is a fantastic label, though...

kstater 10-24-2010 11:45 AM

Just opened a Bam Biere from Jolly Pumpkin.

Reaper16 10-24-2010 04:29 PM

Took down one of the Keystone Lights in my fridge. Gonna' need someone else to take down the rest. My review: http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile...1/?ba=Reaper16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16
D- / 1.95
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3 | drink: 3.5
rDev: -2.6%
12oz. can served into a pint glass
Presenting the latest installment of the critically acclaimed series, "Reaper Drinks Beer that People Left at His House After a Party."

Ah, Keystone Light. Your history of ad campaigns is like a poetic ode to the Hindenburg. The tagline has always been, as the can proclaims, "Always Smooth," though the exact nature in which you communicate the beer's smoothness to consumers has changed over the years. Currently, you feature a cocksure unemployed thrity-something named Keith Stone who goes around attracting the kinds of women who get stuck in trees and telling elderly ladies to "hold [your] stones." The voiceover informs us that Always Smooth Keystone Light is "smooth brewed." If smooth brewing your beer doesn't become the next -bal aged then I'll be a horse's uncle. But perhaps the most infamous Keystone Light campaign was the "bitter beer face" series of ads, in which Keystone Light is said to be "America's Never Bitter Beer." The implication being that there are no hops in this beer. The implication being that I am going to hate Keystone Light. Let's get it over with:

Pours a a feint straw yellow color. It has the effervescence of fine champagne with the color and clarity of fine urine. One finger of indifferent head goes away faster than Beer Advocate members at a party that serves Keystone Light. The only time this beer has ever heard of lace is when the co-ed in the residency hall across the Quad drinks enough of these to cause her panties to drop at the behest of a 19 year-old who patterns his fashion after Jersey Shore's The Situation. This is unacceptable.

Aromas of bran, corn, and (and my brain might just be tricking me here) calcium deposits on the bathtub from hard water make for a delightful beer. I typed delightful, didn't I? I meant to type "bad." No hops at all, cuz why would you want to taste bitter? NO BITTERNESS HERE. Thanks, Keith.

Some beer's malt profiles take on a biscuit quality. Keystone Light's tastes like hardtack. You ever see microwavable breakfast sandwiches at gas stations? The ones where there is a "biscuit" for a bun? Imagine one of those that has sat out on the counter for two weeks and then imagine it mixed up with hard tap water and then imagine you putting that mixture into your mouth. Always Smooth Keystone Light tastes like that. With a side of, like, creamed corn. Does it taste smooth? I suppose that it does. Does it taste? Just barely.

Always Smooth Keysmooth Light only cares about one thing with respect to mouthfeel: is it smooth? Yes, by approximating water's mouthfeel it has achieved that goal. Such smoothness and complete lack of sense required to enjoy it leads to a drinkable product.

I like this beer about as much as I like MGD64, which is to say that I will pray that every can of this spontaneously combusts. Always Smooth Keysmooth Lighsmooth Smooth Beer for Smooth People Smooth is a terrible product. It delivers on its promise of being smooth. It will get you drunk. Those two things are why people purchase this dreck. Rating this as a beer, even against the light lager style, it doesn't measure up. Beers like this make me want to get my bitter beer face on in a hurry. My bitter beer face, mind you, is a huge smile. Sorry, Keith Always Smooth Stone Smooth.

kstater 10-24-2010 04:31 PM

I don't think I can handle a Keystone Light.

Bowser 10-24-2010 04:31 PM

Had a Shock Top out at Arrowhead today. Pretty comparable to a Blvd. Wheat, imo.

Saulbadguy 10-24-2010 04:33 PM

Had a Boulevard Amber Ale today. Eh, not bad.

Saulbadguy 10-24-2010 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 7114607)
Had a Shock Top out at Arrowhead today. Pretty comparable to a Blvd. Wheat, imo.

DO NOT SUPPORT ANHEUSER BUSCH KTHX

kstater 10-24-2010 04:36 PM

Quote:

What's the concessions like there? I haven't been to a game in years. I figure you have to walk, but is there any decent beer there?

Slayer Diablo 10-24-2010 04:59 PM

Quote:

I just discovered Shock Top a few days ago...seemed to be better than any Blvd I've had. Should definitely be in the top 100, if not the top 50.

Saulbadguy 10-24-2010 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Pedestrian (Post 7114844)
I just discovered Shock Top a few days ago...seemed to be better than any Blvd I've had. Should definitely be in the top 100, if not the top 50.

:spock:

HonestChieffan 10-24-2010 05:09 PM

Quote:

sweet beer. women like it. sort of a blue moon thing

Reaper16 10-24-2010 05:28 PM

Quote:

Saulbadguy 10-24-2010 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HonestChieffan (Post 7114919)

Reaper16 10-24-2010 05:33 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saulbadguy (Post 7115072)

Actually, HCF makes sense there. Shock Top, like Blue Moon, attracts a lot of casual drinkers and lots of women consumers because of the amount of fruit sweetness.

kstater 10-24-2010 05:34 PM

Beer at Arrowhead: Any decent picks?

Saulbadguy 10-24-2010 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 7115089)
Actually, HCF makes sense there. Shock Top, like Blue Moon, attracts a lot of casual drinkers and lots of women consumers because of the amount of fruit sweetness.

It attracts alot of casual drinkers because it's available nearly everywhere.

And yes, I misinterpreted his post. I thought he meant sweet as "good".

Saulbadguy 10-24-2010 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kstater (Post 7115094)
Beer at Arrowhead: Any decent picks?

I did see Smithwicks on tap somewhere.

I tend not to pay too much attention though, as I don't feel like paying 7 bucks for a beer.

kstater 10-24-2010 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saulbadguy (Post 7115111)
I did see Smithwicks on tap somewhere.

I tend not to pay too much attention though, as I don't feel like paying 7 bucks for a beer.

My first game in nearly 15 years. I plan on drinking many overpriced beers. I chalk it up to vacation expense.

NewChief 10-24-2010 05:53 PM

Quote:

ROFL ROFL ROFL

Reaper16 10-24-2010 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewPhin (Post 7115194)
ROFL ROFL ROFL

His username matches his post.

HonestChieffan 10-24-2010 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saulbadguy (Post 7115104)
It attracts alot of casual drinkers because it's available nearly everywhere.

And yes, I misinterpreted his post. I thought he meant sweet as "good".

Beer, good beer, is not sweet. My error in what I said. Beer with fruit flavors is against all that is right and good.

Reaper16 10-24-2010 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HonestChieffan (Post 7115252)
Beer, good beer, is not sweet. My error in what I said. Beer with fruit flavors is against all that is right and good.

Malted barley -- the principle flavor of beer -- is sweet. Beer is fermented grain sugars. SUGARS, HCF. That's sweetness. Jesus ****ing God, this post couldn't be more wrong if it tried.

Plus, fruit flavors are commonplace in beer. Rare is the beer that doesn't have some fruitiness to it. Shit, even Budweiser tastes like green apples in large part. You don't want one-note artificial fruit sweetness, such as the cloying orange flavor in Blue Moon or Shock Top. But naturally-occurring fruit flavors from the malt sugars, or the hop lupulin, or actual fruit such as in lambic beer, is part of why beer is such a great beverage.

**** me.

Bob Dole 10-24-2010 06:23 PM

Quote:

BANNED!

HonestChieffan 10-24-2010 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 7115303)
Malted barley -- the principle flavor of beer -- is sweet. Beer is fermented grain sugars. SUGARS, HCF. That's sweetness. Jesus ****ing God, this post couldn't be more wrong if it tried.

Plus, fruit flavors are commonplace in beer. Rare is the beer that doesn't have some fruitiness to it. Shit, even Budweiser tastes like green apples in large part. You don't want one-note artificial fruit sweetness, such as the cloying orange flavor in Blue Moon or Shock Top. But naturally-occurring fruit flavors from the malt sugars, or the hop lupulin, or actual fruit such as in lambic beer, is part of why beer is such a great beverage.

**** me.

No doubt as a man of culture you understand tastes are varied and different, not bad. I would rather be run over than have a beer that is sweet, meaning like sugar sweet, or fruity as in has rasberries or some other garbage added to it.

We all can ID different flavors in beer just as we can in wine. You drink what makes you happy.

Bud tastes like crap to me, always has, always will. Green apples to you, thats fine. I taste old rotted hay and sawdust.

I enjoyed some lambic beers in France a few weeks ago. I enjoyed some. Others not so much but enjoyed the experience.

Im going to have a Boulevard Pilsner and see what I can pick up.

Reaper16 10-24-2010 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HonestChieffan (Post 7115362)
No doubt as a man of culture you understand tastes are varied and different, not bad. I would rather be run over than have a beer that is sweet, meaning like sugar sweet, or fruity as in has rasberries or some other garbage added to it.

We all can ID different flavors in beer just as we can in wine. You drink what makes you happy.

Bud tastes like crap to me, always has, always will. Green apples to you, thats fine. I taste old rotted hay and sawdust.

I enjoyed some lambic beers in France a few weeks ago. I enjoyed some. Others not so much but enjoyed the experience.

Im going to have a Boulevard Pilsner and see what I can pick up.

This is a much more reasonable post, HCF. I agree with you that beer shouldn't be sickly, cloyingly sweet. That's part of the reason that hops are used -- in addition to their preservative qualities they provide much-needed bitterness to balance beer. Because beer is inherently a sweet beverage.

I also agree that Bud is not a pleasant drinking experience. You're using figuartive language when you say it tastes like old rotted hay, though. Right? Because there are beers -- saisons, biere de gardes, guezes, unblended lambics -- that have a heavy hay/barnyard flavor to them. Bud isn't one of them. Bud is pretty much straightforwardly cooked rice, green apple, and a bit of those nasty beechwood chips.

NewChief 10-24-2010 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 7115442)
This is a much more reasonable post, HCF. I agree with you that beer shouldn't be sickly, cloyingly sweet. That's part of the reason that hops are used -- in addition to their preservative qualities they provide much-needed bitterness to balance beer. Because beer is inherently a sweet beverage.

I also agree that Bud is not a pleasant drinking experience. You're using figuartive language when you say it tastes like old rotted hay, though. Right? Because there are beers -- saisons, biere de gardes, guezes, unblended lambics -- that have a heavy hay/barnyard flavor to them. Bud isn't one of them. Bud is pretty much straightforwardly cooked rice, green apple, and a bit of those nasty beechwood chips.

Speaking of Saison... how do you rate Saison DuPont?

Had it while eating at Brasserie in St. Louis and really liked it.

Reaper16 10-24-2010 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewPhin (Post 7115456)
Speaking of Saison... how do you rate Saison DuPont?

Had it while eating at Brasserie in St. Louis and really liked it.

I love it so much. Saison Dupont Vielle Provision is the classic, standard-bearer of the style. It is a gorgeous beer that pairs so well with so many dishes. I buy it pretty much constantly. It isn't the best of the style, but it is pretty close.

NewChief 10-24-2010 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 7115477)
I love it so much. Saison Dupont Vielle Provision is the classic, standard-bearer of the style. It is a gorgeous beer that pairs so well with so many dishes. I buy it pretty much constantly. It isn't the best of the style, but it is pretty close.

Brasserie kicks ass, btw, if you ever get a chance to get up to St. Louis. Urbanspoon reviews on it suck, but I really think people just must not get it. Bad ass rustic French food and some pretty badass beer.

Rudy tossed tigger's salad 10-24-2010 07:01 PM

Quote:

This is a little over the top

Bowser 10-24-2010 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kstater (Post 7114639)
What's the concessions like there? I haven't been to a game in years. I figure you have to walk, but is there any decent beer there?

Concessions have VASTLY improved with the upgrades. BlueMoon and Boulevard seem to be pretty popular out there, along with your standard fare in stadium beer drinking. If you like mixed drinks, it's kind of suprising at the selection of those that are available.

NewChief 10-24-2010 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lemon_Pie (Post 7115515)

Reaper is, literally, writing a book on beer.

Reaper16 10-24-2010 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewPhin (Post 7115496)
Brasserie kicks ass, btw, if you ever get a chance to get up to St. Louis. Urbanspoon reviews on it suck, but I really think people just must not get it. Bad ass rustic French food and some pretty badass beer.

Menu looks real nice. For a place called "Brasserie" (French for "brewery") it really skimps out on the beer list. It would be shameful if the few bottles they do carry didn't match up reasonably well with the majority of their menu. They could get away with just Matilda, Dupont, Tripel Karmeliet and Chimay Blue, but I'd like to see a much wider variety if you are going to call your place "Brewery."

NewChief 10-24-2010 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 7115524)
Menu looks real nice. For a place called "Brasserie" (French for "brewery") it really skimps out on the beer list. It would be shameful if the few bottles they do carry didn't match up reasonably well with the majority of their menu. They could get away with just Matilda, Dupont, Tripel Karmeliet and Chimay Blue, but I'd like to see a much wider variety if you are going to call your place "Brewery."

Yeah, I think they're going with the more common usage of the word than its literal meaning.

http://www.riverfronttimes.com/2010-...art-on-sleeve/

Quote:

By tradition, a brasserie is a modest restaurant, a place where you can enjoy a good, unpretentious meal at almost any time of day. As Alan Davidson writes in The Oxford Companion to Food, "Drawing a line between a brasserie and a bistro is no easy matter." Of course, here in America, where anything other than a strip club can call itself a bistro and not raise eyebrows, the question might be moot.

One distinction is that originally "brasserie" was synonymous with "brewery." Brasserie by Niche doesn't make its own beer, but it does pay more attention to craft beer than most area restaurants. The list is curated by Mike Sweeney, author of the beer blog STL Hops (www.stlhops.com) and (full disclosure) a personal acquaintance of mine. His selection offers a range of styles and price points both on draft and in the bottle, with emphasis on Belgian and Belgian-style beers. The staff seems well versed in both the list and the nuances of pairing beer with food. When a friend expressed curiosity in a glass of Duchesse de Bourgogne, a tart Flemish ale, our server brought him a sample and noted that its quenching qualities would pair well with the menu's hearty fare.

dirk digler 10-24-2010 07:16 PM

Reaper I am curious where do you find all these beers that you reviewed or what made you want to try them? I have never heard of half of these.

luv 10-24-2010 07:17 PM

Anyone had the Boulevard Amber Ale? Me likes.

I know, it's probably something "common" that "everyone" likes. That's great, too.

Rudy tossed tigger's salad 10-24-2010 07:22 PM

I want to know how a grad student can afford to drink so well. It's not fair!

NewChief 10-24-2010 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lemon_Pie (Post 7115622)
I want to know how a grad student can afford to drink so well. It's not fair!

I'm assuming that he drinks like 1-2 of those good beers a day at his house. It's definitely good beer, but lots of grad students spend way more than that on booze in an average month... especially if they're going out and drinking at bars.

Drink two $15 beers for a total of $30. That would be drinking some seriously good beers.

A $30 bar tab for a night on the town would be pretty light for most college kids. It's pretty easy to go out and drop a hundred in a night if you're really drinking much and bar hopping.

Rudy tossed tigger's salad 10-24-2010 07:42 PM

I didn't mean to come off as rude...To be honest Im jealous. I rarely allow myself to splurge on great beer because I have trouble justifying it. I love good beer but I think I'm too much of a noob to really appreciate it. See if I spent that much, I wouldn't get nearly the return that someone like Reaper gets...

NewChief 10-24-2010 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lemon_Pie (Post 7115728)
I didn't mean to come off as rude...To be honest Im jealous. I rarely allow myself to splurge on great beer because I have trouble justifying it. I love good beer but I think I'm too much of a noob to really appreciate it. See if I spent that much, I wouldn't get nearly the return that someone like Reaper gets...

I hear you. I'm jealous too... but I'm jealous of his ability to limit himself to 1-2 beers. I can do that with wine and with good whiskey, but not with beer. That's why I generally drink shitty beer when I drink beer, because I like to drink 4-6 beers (at least) in a sitting. So I don't drink beer often because 1) it's expensive and 2) not good for me to drink that much.

My "splurge" beer is usually a six of Boulevard. My regular beer is either PBR or Old Style. If Yuengling gets here, which they're saying that it's about to, then that will probably become my goto drinking beer.

HonestChieffan 10-24-2010 07:55 PM

Quote:

I recognize the taste. I've spent far to may hours in barnyards to look forward to a refreshing drink that reminds me of cleaning stalls and scooping poop. I can enjoy the nuances of grass. But rotted hay is beyond a nuance. Cow poop is different from chicken poop but in the final measure its poop.

We enjoyed a number, I would hate to know the number, of different beers in France, Belgium, Germany, Luxembourg, and Austria a few weeks back. In most cases we were in small pubs that had a limited number of brands and varieties but every one had a local or two that we tried. My drinking partner is a huge fan of wheats and we found a number that he really did not enjoy and he found that his normal distain for pilsners was misguided when he had really fresh local pils.

The fun was in the differences and in the variety that we generally lack here in the US.

And the conversations with the locals was fantastic. One German gent, after some heated and spirited conversation on politics and the economy bought a round and said all differences are put aside over a glass of beer!

dirk digler 10-24-2010 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HonestChieffan (Post 7115793)
I recognize the taste. I've spent far to may hours in barnyards to look forward to a refreshing drink that reminds me of cleaning stalls and scooping poop. I can enjoy the nuances of grass. But rotted hay is beyond a nuance. Cow poop is different from chicken poop but in the final measure its poop.

We enjoyed a number, I would hate to know the number, of different beers in France, Belgium, Germany, Luxembourg, and Austria a few weeks back. In most cases we were in small pubs that had a limited number of brands and varieties but every one had a local or two that we tried. My drinking partner is a huge fan of wheats and we found a number that he really did not enjoy and he found that his normal distain for pilsners was misguided when he had really fresh local pils.

The fun was in the differences and in the variety that we generally lack here in the US.

And the conversations with the locals was fantastic. One German gent, after some heated and spirited conversation on politics and the economy bought a round and said all differences are put aside over a glass of beer!

That is so cool. When I go to Europe I basically want to go on a beer tasting tour.

Slayer Diablo 10-24-2010 08:16 PM

Quote:

Eh, better than Blue Moon...but yeah, the sweetness is why I'd be iffy on letting it too close to the top 50. Top 100 of beers to try once, though...in there somewhere.

Now if you want a full-bodied beer that should've been put into the top 50, go to Munich, Germany and get the Hofbraeuhaus Original.

HonestChieffan 10-24-2010 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirk digler (Post 7115846)
That is so cool. When I go to Europe I basically want to go on a beer tasting tour.

Its interesting that every "bar" basically has a single main brand. They will have whatever varieties of that brand is available. But you wont find a bar often that has a large selection. But generally they will have a local brand as well with a smaller offering. The clientele of bar "A" likes the brand they carry. And if you have a different brand you want, you may have to go 1/2 block to another small place that carries that beer.

In rural area almost every town or group of towns has a local brewery that makes some excellent stuff you cannot get outside of that area. We hit those usually at lunch and they serve some fantastic food as well.

This will demonstrate what vast numbers there are...http://www.beer-club.info/beer-brand...er-brands.html

Then there is chocolate.

And Nuttella.

I lost 48 pounds before we went. I just gained 4.

Reaper16 10-24-2010 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lemon_Pie (Post 7115515)

Is it? How so?

dirk digler 10-24-2010 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HonestChieffan (Post 7115899)
Its interesting that every "bar" basically has a single main brand. They will have whatever varieties of that brand is available. But you wont find a bar often that has a large selection. But generally they will have a local brand as well with a smaller offering. The clientele of bar "A" likes the brand they carry. And if you have a different brand you want, you may have to go 1/2 block to another small place that carries that beer.

In rural area almost every town or group of towns has a local brewery that makes some excellent stuff you cannot get outside of that area. We hit those usually at lunch and they serve some fantastic food as well.

This will demonstrate what vast numbers there are...http://www.beer-club.info/beer-brand...er-brands.html

Then there is chocolate.

And Nuttella.

I lost 48 pounds before we went. I just gained 4.

I am so jealous.

Shag 10-24-2010 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HonestChieffan (Post 7115793)

Nice - I did something similar last year, except we hit the Netherlands instead of Austria. Hard to beat traveling around Europe, drinking beer...

irishjayhawk 10-24-2010 08:45 PM

Quote:

Couldn't disagree more. Shock Top is one of the worst beers I've had.

That said, I'm not a fan of coriander spiced beers.

dirk digler 10-24-2010 08:46 PM

Hey Reaper I want to be a beer snob like you so can I ask you a favor?

Could you give me a list of 5 beers that you recommend that is available in the KC area that I should try?

Rudy tossed tigger's salad 10-24-2010 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 7115991)
Is it? How so?

You knew what he meant in each of his posts and went out of your way to show off your beer snobbery. Very trendy of you

irishjayhawk 10-24-2010 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirk digler (Post 7116052)

Could you give me a list of 5 beers that you recommend that is available in the KC area that I should try?

Mine would be:

Hoppin' Frog's BORIS Oatmeal-Imerpial Stout
Orval
Chimay
Young's Double Chocolate Stout
Rogue's Dead Guy Ale

There's plenty more and those were really a quick thinking top 5. BORIS is my current favorite beer. The Chimay may be the most flavorful I've had, though.

dirk digler 10-24-2010 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irishjayhawk (Post 7116064)
Mine would be:

Orval
Chimay
Rogue's Dead Guy Ale

There's plenty more and those were really a quick thinking top 5. BORIS is my current favorite beer. The Chimay may be the most flavorful I've had, though.

All of these I could get in a liquor store in KC?

Thanks for the list btw.

irishjayhawk 10-24-2010 08:52 PM

Someone gave me a six of Bar Harbour's Thunder Hole Ale. I wasn't expecting much for it given the packaging and randomness of gifting but it was a really delicious brown ale. I was impressed. Though, it might have been just me being caught off guard.

irishjayhawk 10-24-2010 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirk digler (Post 7116071)

Thanks for the list btw.

Yes. I'm not sure you'd find every single one at one store but they are all in KC for sure.

Rudy tossed tigger's salad 10-24-2010 08:55 PM

Quote:

Mine would be:

Orval
Chimay
Rogue's Dead Guy Ale

That's your five? Very good beers, but I'm surprised...Does this mean Missouri is every bit of beer hell that Texas is?

dirk digler 10-24-2010 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irishjayhawk (Post 7116080)
Yes. I'm not sure you'd find every single one at one store but they are all in KC for sure.

Thanks I will give them a try.

irishjayhawk 10-24-2010 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lemon_Pie (Post 7116084)
That's your five? Very good beers, but I'm surprised...Does this mean Missouri is every bit of beer hell that Texas is?

Well, I actually haven't been to Missouri stores. So that's an all Kansas list. However, I do know that Hoppin Frog doesn't distribute to MO, which was weird, I thought.

I need to venture across state lines soon. I think I'm going to kick back up my beer trying days.

Shag 10-24-2010 09:04 PM

Quote:

Mine would be:

Orval
Chimay
Rogue's Dead Guy Ale

BORIS is great - just had one yesterday. Have you had DORIS? I can't get my hands on that here, unfortunately.

You may also want to clarify which Chimay, assuming you have a specific one in mind. I assume the Red or the Blue...

Reaper16 10-24-2010 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lemon_Pie (Post 7116056)
You knew what he meant in each of his posts and went out of your way to show off your beer snobbery. Very trendy of you

I didn't know what he meant. I thought he was an idiot for a second. Then he showed that he wasn't. If I could be accused of anything there it would be science snobbery. Also, I'm pretty sure you're using "trendy" incorrectly.

To answer your earlier comment: I can afford to drink so well because I don't drink to get drunk. NewPhin over estimated the number of beers I have a day, too. I don't even average a beer per day. And on the days I do have a beer I usually have just one.

Reaper16 10-24-2010 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirk digler (Post 7116052)

I don't know what your palate is ready for or what your tastes have run towards. Give me some info to work with. I don't want to recommend an Imperial India Pale Ale or a Guezue, say, if you're not ready yet.

You could also just go to one of the good beer stores in the KC area (Lukas, Gomer's) and talk with the staff.

dirk digler 10-24-2010 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 7116171)
I don't know what your palate is ready for or what your tastes have run towards. Give me some info to work with. I don't want to recommend an Imperial India Pale Ale or a Guezue, say, if you're not ready yet.

You could also just go to one of the good beer stores in the KC area (Lukas, Gomer's) and talk with the staff.

Ok I have basically tried all the traditional beers plus I have tried these lately, Stella Artois, Amstel Light, Modelo, Blue Moon, Boulevard Wheat, Shiner Bock, Hoogaarden...

HonestChieffan 10-24-2010 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shag (Post 7116036)
Nice - I did something similar last year, except we hit the Netherlands instead of Austria. Hard to beat traveling around Europe, drinking beer...

Hard to throw rocks at a day on Omaha Beach, two days later visiting Gen. Patton's Grave, a lunch in the Huertgen Forest...a great venison stew and a local brew and a couple hours discussing what the hell the object of Rugby is with an Irishman who played on his town team for 20 years and why soccer is so boring to American Football fans.

Dirk...Im working on the pics. Had to take a break for the Chiefs win and seeing the Donks die.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d1...t/DSCN1142.jpg

The Hedgerows the allies had to fight through in the days after D Day
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d1...t/DSC00486.jpg

Restaurant in Forest Battlefield

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d1...t/DSC00925.jpg

Beer Time..Hofbrau Munich

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d1...t/DSC01104.jpg

dirk digler 10-24-2010 09:27 PM

HCF that is really really really...well there are no words

Rudy tossed tigger's salad 10-24-2010 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 7116158)
I didn't know what he meant. I thought he was an idiot for a second. Then he showed that he wasn't. If I could be accused of anything there it would be science snobbery. Also, I'm pretty sure you're using "trendy" incorrectly.

To answer your earlier comment: I can afford to drink so well because I don't drink to get drunk. NewPhin over estimated the number of beers I have a day, too. I don't even average a beer per day. And on the days I do have a beer I usually have just one.

your attitude is pretty par for the course in the current trend of beer culture. Tell me more about how your beer tastes like turdcorn and yeast infection...

Reaper16 10-24-2010 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirk digler (Post 7116207)
Ok I have basically tried all the traditional beers plus I have tried these lately, Stella Artois, Amstel Light, Modelo, Blue Moon, Boulevard Wheat, Shiner Bock, Hoogaarden...

Yeah, you're at the super n00b level in terms of what your palate will likely be able to fully appreciate at this point. Thankfully, I remember my super n00b days. Here's five beers that helped me along back when I was a n00b in 2007:

Boulevard Bully! Porter -- it helped me to appreciate the darker malt flavors and was instrumental in getting me to appreciate roasted malt character. It's also a good beer to show off how hops can be an important part of a beer even when the beer isn't trying to show off the hop flavors.

Bell's Two Hearted Ale -- the first India Pale Ale I fell in love with. It happened on first sip. All those floral and grapefruit hop flavors. This is a stellar beer, period, and a great way to appreciate high alpha acid beer.

Rogue Dead Guy Ale -- A wonderfully balanced beer. It's brewed in the Helles Bock lager tradition but it uses ale yeast, so its something of a hybrid. This is a great example of a full-flavored beer that shows off what malt types and hop types that play well with each other can do together.

Goose Island Matilda -- this is a Belgian Pale Ale. It isn't nearly as hoppy as an American Pale Ale; the yummy Belgian yeast is the major player here. Brewing spices, airy malt, some grassy hops, wonderful fruit flavors of lemon, pear and white grape, and a lively effervescence. This beer is very refreshing yet complex. And it is insane to pair with all kinds of food, from grilled salmon to a simple turkey sandwich.

Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier -- this is the gold standard of German hefeweizen. You're not going to find a better straight-up German wheat beer. Again, refreshing, easy-drinking, yet rich with complexity.

Not only will those five beers help your palate along in different ways, they are each deep enough to keep revisiting. They will get even better the more you learn and grow.

dirk digler 10-24-2010 09:42 PM

Thanks Reaper I appreciate it and will try all of those.

HonestChieffan 10-24-2010 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirk digler (Post 7116071)

Thanks for the list btw.

Toss in an Erdinger...a great German Wheat...

Lucas will have more than you can haul. Lucas at Martin City is excellent and has beer smart folks.

Reaper16 10-24-2010 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirk digler (Post 7116270)
HCF that is really really really...well there are no words

Awesome? It looks pretty awesome to me. HCF should be applauded for his beer trips.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lemon_Pie (Post 7116327)
your attitude is pretty par for the course in the current trend of beer culture. Tell me more about how your beer tastes like turdcorn and yeast infection...

What is my attitude? Civil? Fair? I think so. If only that were actually trendy.

I don't know what turdcorn is, but that sounds like an accurate description of Milwaukee's Best. Yeast infections are bad. Beer can certainly get infected though any number of bacteria. You don't want infected beer; it's gross. There are classic beer styles over a thousand years old (lambic, guezue, some Saisons) that are spontaneously fermented b the yeast in the open air. These beers have naturally occurring Brettanomyces yeast which causes funky, barnyard, horseblanket flavors (this yeast is absolutely feared by winemakers. Funk is a definite flaw in wine, but in beer it can be something transcendent) and they can also have some bacteria, such as lactobacillus or pediococcus, that cause lactic or acetic sourness in a beer. When controlled, those bugs can do nifty things in beer. But you don't want your bottles or brewing equipment to get overtaken by those bacteria; that's how infections happen.