ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Top DC Candidate (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=268579)

milkman 01-07-2013 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Messier (Post 9295038)
By the day, meaning three days. Well, you gave it a shot.

Well, I am one of the few people here that didn't want Reid to start with.

Messier 01-07-2013 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkman (Post 9295076)
Well, I am one of the few people here that didn't want Reid to start with.

Why?

htismaqe 01-07-2013 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9294985)
I'm insisting that Andy Reid and the Chiefs believe that they have a sure thing.

At this point, these QB's haven't even separated themselves from each other. How can anyone, with any certainty, proclaim which QB is worthy of the #1 overall pick?

MOST years there's some debate about the top guys in the draft. What happened last year is RARE.

and even when consensus happens, it can be wrong - see Alex Smith/Aaron Rodgers.

htismaqe 01-07-2013 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9294991)
Whole 'nother subject.

You've probably seen as many USC games as I have the past few years and know why he was fired. It was either Monte or both Monte and Lane.

If he's hired, I'll be far from thrilled.

Same here. Not excited at all.

DaneMcCloud 01-07-2013 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bricks (Post 9295051)
Nobody can. It's like that practically every year though. Last year was an exception.

I don't buy that, at all.

These guys have been scouted since grade school. There are so many quarterback camps held each year in addition to film from high school to college. Psych evaluations have improved over the past decade, as have background checks.

If there's a consensus, it's almost certain that a guy chosen in 2013 will find success in the NFL.

O.city 01-07-2013 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9295096)
Same here. Not excited at all.

I was a little more excited with the under tech thoughts, but overall, meh.

DaneMcCloud 01-07-2013 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9295089)
MOST years there's some debate about the top guys in the draft. What happened last year is RARE.

and even when consensus happens, it can be wrong - see Alex Smith/Aaron Rodgers.

2005 was weird. Rodgers was shunned due to Tedford. Smith was lauded in Urban Meyer's spread, in which no QB since has had any NFL success.

I honestly believe that had it not been for three years of film study and coaching from Mike McCarthy, Rodgers wouldn't have had nearly the success.

On the converse, Smith hasn't had the benefit of excellent coaching, year after year, until Harbaugh. And then Harbaugh dumped him.

The debate in 2004 wasn't even a debate: Two out of Three have won Super Bowls and Rivers is far from done.

NJChiefsFan 01-07-2013 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 9295116)
I was a little more excited with the under tech thoughts, but overall, meh.

If he comes that's what I would sell myself on, but I am not comfortable with that. I prefer a 34, and I certainly prefer not playing a Tampa 2.

Ebolapox 01-07-2013 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9293560)
Bill Polian was certain when he drafted Jim Kelly, Kerry Collins and Peyton Manning. Ernie Accorsi was certain when he traded for Eli Manning.

Ryan Grigson was certain when he took Andrew Luck. Shanahan and Allen were certain when they took RGIII.

I think a guy like Andy Reid has a better sense than someone like Romeo Crennel, which is why Clark Hunt went so hard after Reid.

If Reid isn't absolutely certain, I don't think he'd take a guy, just to take a guy.

bill polian did not draft jim kelly.

bricks 01-07-2013 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9295103)
I don't buy that, at all.

These guys have been scouted since grade school. There are so many quarterback camps held each year in addition to film from high school to college. Psych evaluations have improved over the past decade, as have background checks.

If there's a consensus, it's almost certain that a guy chosen in 2013 will find success in the NFL.

There are pros and cons with anything in life. Prospects are no different. That's where the debates always come in when evaluating and assessing prospects. It's rare to have a superb, polished prospect. Happens very very seldomly. It doesn't matter if you are the #1 overall pick in the draft to the last pick. Regardless, there is always going to be some level of uncertainty somehwere along the lines.

Success is NEVER a certainty. The college game is different from the pros. There is always that transition factor involved that A LOT of prospects struggle with. The consensus cannot determine how prospects will adjust from the college to NFL game. Unfortunately, some guys don't make it because they struggle with the transition aspect of things.

Then there is always player development. What if the player drafted is a well polished prospect but then is thrown into an environment surrounded by horrible coaching and poor team management? For some prospects that is a determining factor of whether or not they will succeed or fail.

milkman 01-07-2013 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9293560)
Bill Polian was certain when he drafted Jim Kelly, Kerry Collins and Peyton Manning. Ernie Accorsi was certain when he traded for Eli Manning.

Ryan Grigson was certain when he took Andrew Luck. Shanahan and Allen were certain when they took RGIII.

I think a guy like Andy Reid has a better sense than someone like Romeo Crennel, which is why Clark Hunt went so hard after Reid.

If Reid isn't absolutely certain, I don't think he'd take a guy, just to take a guy.

Bill Poilan was not certain when he took Peyton Manning.

He and his staff debated Manning and Leaf until the last minute, and Poilan still worried that he didn't make the right choice.

DaneMcCloud 01-07-2013 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkman (Post 9295234)
Bill Poilan was not certain when he took Peyton Manning.

He and his staff debated Manning and Leaf until the last minute, and Poilan still worried that he didn't make the right choice.

Then I'm damn glad he wasn't hired by Clark.

There were many psychologists who interviewed Leaf that felt he was capable of imploding at any moment.

DaneMcCloud 01-07-2013 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ebolapox (Post 9295167)
bill polian did not draft jim kelly.

Smarty pants

milkman 01-07-2013 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9295240)
Then I'm damn glad he was hired by Clark.

There were many psychologists who interviewed Leaf that felt he was capable of imploding at any moment.

I familiar with that, and the evals were the tipping point.

Bobby Beathard hired a psychologist to follow up on those interviews, and that psychologist told Beathard that he would not draft Leaf in any round.

Beathard obviously ignored the recommendation.

DaneMcCloud 01-07-2013 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkman (Post 9295258)
I familiar with that, and the evals were the tipping point.

Bobby Beathard hired a psychologist to follow up on those interviews, and that psychologist told Beathard that he would not draft Leaf in any round.

Beathard obviously ignored the recommendation.

I honestly believe that Beathard knew he was on his last legs as a GM and therefore, made a bold move.

I mean, who trades away a first round pick to draft Mikhael Ricks in the second, just after selecting Leaf?

ChiefsCountry 01-07-2013 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9295274)
I honestly believe that Beathard knew he was on his last legs as a GM and therefore, made a bold move.

I mean, who trades away a first round pick to draft Mikhael Ricks in the second, just after selecting Leaf?

Or Bryan Still. Or Jermaine Fazine.

FAX 01-07-2013 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NJChiefsFan (Post 9295132)
If he comes that's what I would sell myself on, but I am not comfortable with that. I prefer a 34, and I certainly prefer not playing a Tampa 2.

May God protect us from the damnedable Tampa 2.

FAX

Dylan 01-07-2013 11:11 PM

Who is good? We need one pronto.

tk13 01-07-2013 11:24 PM

They went back and forth on it for months, but by the end Polian knew he was taking Manning. But for a pick like that you should be thorough. Leaf was probably right with Peyton at first but messed it up. He missed his interview with the Colts at the combine. Manning showed up and grilled Polian for two hours about what offense they wanted to run. Then at their workouts, Leaf was out of shape. The scouts liked Leaf. The coaches... Mora, Tom Moore, Arians, etc. all liked Peyton.

Chiefshrink 01-07-2013 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9295240)
Then I'm damn glad he wasn't hired by Clark.

That's what his MMPI said about him and then I saw an interview with Mora years later and he stated their decision came down to the MMPI psych test results.

BossChief 01-08-2013 12:09 AM

Those were good times. Leaf wins his first two starts and comes to Arrowhead...kid as never the same.

Hootie 01-08-2013 01:03 AM

I have hated the cover 2 for years and years and years now...

wouldn't be thrilled with Kiffin but if any team has the personnel to run the damn defense I'd think it may be us

still

ew

Mother****erJones 01-08-2013 05:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9295247)
Smarty pants

And you said i dont know shit about football :doh!:

bevischief 01-08-2013 07:52 AM

wtf is going on in here?

Nixhex 01-08-2013 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FAX (Post 9295308)
May God protect us from the damnedable Tampa 2.

FAX

Agreed. The Tampa 2 is weak against the TE and it would ruin Justin Huston.

BossChief 01-08-2013 08:26 AM

I wonder if Andy Reids propensity to pass so much (that doesn't give the defense as much rest as a balanced attack) is effecting the pool of coaches interested in the DC position.

htismaqe 01-08-2013 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9295131)
2005 was weird. Rodgers was shunned due to Tedford. Smith was lauded in Urban Meyer's spread, in which no QB since has had any NFL success.

I honestly believe that had it not been for three years of film study and coaching from Mike McCarthy, Rodgers wouldn't have had nearly the success.

On the converse, Smith hasn't had the benefit of excellent coaching, year after year, until Harbaugh. And then Harbaugh dumped him.

The debate in 2004 wasn't even a debate: Two out of Three have won Super Bowls and Rivers is far from done.

Rivers is absolutely done. Finito.

htismaqe 01-08-2013 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 9295724)
I wonder if Andy Reids propensity to pass so much (that doesn't give the defense as much rest as a balanced attack) is effecting the pool of coaches interested in the DC position.

No.

DeezNutz 01-08-2013 09:56 AM

Quote:

No way.

ShowtimeSBMVP 01-10-2013 11:42 AM

Tim MacMahon ‏@espn_macmahon

.@edwerderespn just said on @ESPNDallas' Ben and Skin Show that he believes Monte Kiffin is the Cowboys' top DC target.

BigMeatballDave 01-10-2013 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsandO'sfan (Post 9302896)
Tim MacMahon ‏@espn_macmahon

.@edwerderespn just said on @ESPNDallas' Ben and Skin Show that he believes Monte Kiffin is the Cowboys' top DC target.

Good

ShowtimeSBMVP 01-10-2013 01:16 PM

Now the latest news, via ESPN Dallas:

Andy Reid was interested in appointing Kiffin to be his defensive coordinator when he took over the Kansas City Chiefs but Kiffin was not interested in that opportunity.

Thank you Kiffin

htismaqe 01-10-2013 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsandO'sfan (Post 9303249)

Andy Reid was interested in appointing Kiffin to be his defensive coordinator when he took over the Kansas City Chiefs but Kiffin was not interested in that opportunity.

Thank you Kiffin

Awesome!

Ace Gunner 01-10-2013 01:23 PM

Quote:

imo slightly, yes. but then this NFL is all about passing now. WCO is a ball control passing offense, so there's that. the DC decision is mostly effected by availability. not a lot of keen choices.

ChiefMojo 01-10-2013 01:39 PM

Might keep a eye on Mel Tucker now that he is no longer with the Jags. Might be a good option along with Smith, Horton and Jauron.

Chief Roundup 01-10-2013 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsandO'sfan (Post 9303249)

Thank you Kiffin

God I hope that he doesn't come here.

Deberg_1990 01-10-2013 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9295893)
Rivers is absolutely done. Finito.

Why do you think that? Im not ready to say that.

htismaqe 01-10-2013 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 9303386)
Why do you think that? Im not ready to say that.

He's a loser. He's a baby. He's not mentally tough.

He never STARTED with "it" so all of this talk of him getting "it" back is horse manure.

Born.

Loser.

DTLB58 01-10-2013 02:21 PM

Well, for me one kudos that Kiffin isn't coming here and two that Bad Guy nailed it that Monte was the top guy (or at the very least on Reid's list) :thumb:

So now who does Reid turn to?

BigCatDaddy 01-10-2013 02:29 PM

When is Williams suspension up and is he too toxic to hire?

ILChief 01-10-2013 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCatDaddy (Post 9303429)

His suspension was indefinite and to be reviewed after the season

Chief Roundup 01-10-2013 02:35 PM

Quote:

I wouldn't want him. He is stained.
He has to be looked at as a "narc". He threw everyone under the bus to try and save his own ass.

Groves 01-10-2013 02:35 PM

I had already adjusted my brain waves to tell me Kiffin's 4-3 under was going to be ok. It's like we're following rumors here or something.

ct 01-10-2013 02:45 PM

Quote:

no
thanks

ILChief 01-10-2013 02:46 PM

I still think Jauron is the way to go

DaneMcCloud 01-10-2013 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ILChief (Post 9303463)
I still think Jauron is the way to go

No ****ing way.

The "way to go" is Ray Horton or Kevin Butler. Other candidates that should be included are Winston Moss, Kevin Greene and Mel Tucker.

Jauron's a dinosaur.

Mother****erJones 01-10-2013 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9303490)
No ****ing way.

The "way to go" is Ray Horton or Kevin Butler. Other candidates that should be included are Winston Moss, Kevin Greene and Mel Tucker.

Jauron's a dinosaur.

Butler wont leave PIT he's the heir apparent to LeBeau

htismaqe 01-10-2013 03:02 PM

Quote:

No ****ing way.

Jauron's a dinosaur.

Well, none of those guys appear to be candidates.

Of the guys that have been connected with the job, Jauron is the only one that isn't completely vomit-inducing.

DaneMcCloud 01-10-2013 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9303503)

Of the guys that have been connected with the job, Jauron is the only one that isn't completely vomit-inducing.

Hopefully, there are other options. I'd rather have Eric Mangini, for ****'s sake.

RunKC 01-10-2013 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9303399)
He's a loser. He's a baby. He's not mentally tough.

He never STARTED with "it" so all of this talk of him getting "it" back is horse manure.

Born.

Loser.

He's also a guy who can take you deep in the playoffs and put you in a position to go to the SB.

He's struggled lately because his OL is one of the worst in the league.

If they do get Bruce Arians like predicted, they could draft on a guy like Taylor Lewan and that would help them a ton.

They have a solid defense and a QB who has been among the elite before. I'm not counting them out for a minute.

ChiefMojo 01-10-2013 03:06 PM

If one wants the 3-4, then hope for Horton.

AustinChief 01-10-2013 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 9303510)
He's also a guy who can take you deep in the playoffs and put you in a position to go to the SB.

He's struggled lately because his OL is one of the worst in the league.

If they do get Bruce Arians like predicted, they could draft on a guy like Taylor Lewan and that would help them a ton.

They have a solid defense and a QB who has been among the elite before. I'm not counting them out for a minute.

Lewan isn't coming out.

Chief Roundup 01-10-2013 03:10 PM

Quote:

No ****ing way.

Jauron's a dinosaur.

Are any of those guys linked to Andy Ried from the past?
Mel Tucker might be available since Mularkey just lost his job.

DaneMcCloud 01-10-2013 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Roundup (Post 9303521)
Are any of those guys linked to Andy Ried from the past?
Mel Tucker might be available since Mularkey just lost his job.

Being linked to Reid shouldn't be his objective.

Finding the best 3-4 defensive coordinator should be his objective.

ChiefMojo 01-10-2013 03:15 PM

Tucker is a good DC but yet another 4-3 guy if your counting.

DTLB58 01-10-2013 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9303509)
Hopefully, there are other options. I'd rather have Eric Mangini, for ****'s sake.

:clap: :thumb:

htismaqe 01-10-2013 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9303529)

It isn't.

ChiefMojo 01-10-2013 03:27 PM

In reality Reid would prefer a 4-3. What he has always run.

Chief Roundup 01-10-2013 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9303529)

I won't argue that.
But every other coach or executives that has been hired or is suppose to be are all coaches that have worked with Andy in one way or another.
So it is no stretch that that pattern will continue.

RustShack 01-10-2013 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Roundup (Post 9303573)
I won't argue that.
But every other coach or executives that has been hired or is suppose to be are all coaches that have worked with Andy in one way or another.
So it is no stretch that that pattern will continue.

When did Gibbs and Thomas work with Reid before?

Chief Roundup 01-10-2013 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RustShack (Post 9303575)
When did Gibbs and Thomas work with Reid before?

When were those guys retained? Or have they just not been dismissed yet? Surely they won't pick a defensive staff without the DC in place.

RustShack 01-10-2013 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Roundup (Post 9303582)
When were those guys retained? Or have they just not been dismissed yet? Surely they won't pick a defensive staff without the DC in place.

Well they are good coaches who have worked in 4-3's and 3-4's, I'm sure they will be alright.

Chief Roundup 01-10-2013 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RustShack (Post 9303586)
Well they are good coaches who have worked in 4-3's and 3-4's, I'm sure they will be alright.

Yeah so...Have they been retained through Reid or have they just not been dismissed yet?

RustShack 01-10-2013 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Roundup (Post 9303592)
Yeah so...Have they been retained through Reid or have they just not been dismissed yet?

I'm assuming there is a reason he fired everyone but those two so far.

Jayhawk Chief 01-10-2013 03:41 PM

Just say "No" to Cover 2

ncCHIEFfan 01-10-2013 03:43 PM

:pNo, Cover 2

Chief Roundup 01-10-2013 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RustShack (Post 9303599)
I'm assuming there is a reason he fired everyone but those two so far.

I read that as these are a couple of good coaches that we might want to keep but don't know yet. You don't throw away your leftovers until you know you are not going to eat them.

KCrockaholic 01-10-2013 03:59 PM

Mel Tucker's defenses have been horrid against the run.

Although the Chiefs might not land a proven DC, they have enough talent to make a guy like Tucker look better than he really is due to what he can work with.

The Chiefs defensive talent>Jacksonville's

KCrockaholic 01-10-2013 04:01 PM

I'm assuming you mean Keith Butler, Dane? The Steelers linebackers coach? Just making sure.

CoMoChief 01-10-2013 04:37 PM

Let Gunther Cunningham come back and run a 3-4 ......3rd times a charm folks!!!!

O.city 01-10-2013 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9303503)

Reid asked the Cardinals if he could interview Horton. I'd say he's on the radar.

Chiefs Pantalones 01-10-2013 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoMoChief (Post 9303727)
Let Gunther Cunningham come back and run a 3-4 ......3rd times a charm folks!!!!

Tyson Jackson the falcon for the win.

Chief Roundup 01-10-2013 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 9303756)
Reid asked the Cardinals if he could interview Horton. I'd say he's on the radar.

I missed that. Did we get permission?

O.city 01-10-2013 04:51 PM

TBG said they hadn't said yes or no as of last night.

dallaschiefsfan 01-10-2013 04:55 PM

Quote:

Wasn't that Dave Adolf that was our 34 guy? I thought GOONTHER transitioned us to 43. And to your larger point... :cuss:

Chief Roundup 01-10-2013 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 9303774)
TBG said they hadn't said yes or no as of last night.

Thanks for that and thanks to all of you guys for posting the info, "rumors" or not it is good info. It seems we can sniff out the bad info that is put out there. i.e. Ian Rappaport etc.

Chiefs Pantalones 01-10-2013 05:04 PM

Bears Special teams coach Dave Toub under consideration for same position in KC

chiefzilla1501 01-10-2013 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jayhawk Chief (Post 9303600)
Just say "No" to Cover 2

You're making a blanket statement. Lots of good teams run Cover 2.

No to a traditional Tampa 2. But variations of the Tampa 2 are very successful. I keep pointing to the Seattle defense. It's base is basically Tampa 2.

HolyHat 01-10-2013 05:47 PM

Quote:

:thumb:

htismaqe 01-10-2013 06:12 PM

Just saw on the NFLN scroll that Ian Rapaport is reporting Andy Reid is interested in hiring MONTE KIFFIN for defensive coordinator.

ROFL