ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Other Sports **Official USA vs Germany World Cup Match Thread** (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=284630)

OnTheWarpath15 06-27-2014 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPATCH (Post 10718302)
I, also, am from bum-**** rural Missouri. I grew up playing football, basketball, and baseball. Never even saw a soccer ball.

I loved the hell out my high school football days. I Love the Chiefs and Royals above all other professional sports teams. BUT, if I have a son one day I will certainly nudge him in the direction of soccer and hope that he doesn't become intensely interested in playing football. The head injuries are too much.

Let me make something clear - I'm not trolling, nor is this a "soccer is teh sux" post. I've been on that side of the argument before, and I've actually come to enjoy the game over the last year or so.

With all that said - if I remember the data correctly - soccer is alongside hockey in 2nd place for number of concussions in youth/HS/College sports.

Discuss Thrower 06-27-2014 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPATCH (Post 10718302)
I, also, am from bum-**** rural Missouri. I grew up playing football, basketball, and baseball. Never even saw a soccer ball.

I loved the hell out my high school football days. I Love the Chiefs and Royals above all other professional sports teams. BUT, if I have a son one day I will certainly nudge him in the direction of soccer and hope that he doesn't become intensely interested in playing football. The head injuries are too much.

And play it he may, all the way through his HS days and possibly later.

But what is he likely watching on Sunday afternoons in the Fall?

penguinz 06-27-2014 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower (Post 10718373)

With the way everyone here complains about Goodell turnign the NFL into flag football is won't be the NFL his not yet born son is watching on Sundays.

SPATCH 06-27-2014 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath58 (Post 10718369)
Let me make something clear - I'm not trolling, nor is this a "soccer is teh sux" post. I've been on that side of the argument before, and I've actually come to enjoy the game over the last year or so.

With all that said - if I remember the data correctly - soccer is alongside hockey in 2nd place for number of concussions in youth/HS/College sports.

You are right. There are a lot of concussions in soccer. I think it's crazy that most soccer players don't wear a mouthpiece. My kid certainly will.

It's not just the concussions, though. It's the constant sub-concussive blows that your head takes throughout a football game/practice.

I have personally dealt with a noticeable loss of cognitive ability in my early twenties that I can only attribute to ten years of tackle football (playing both ways every season).

Which brings up another point: if my future son does want to play football, I might try to make him wait until at least 7th grade and try to make sure he only plays on one side of the ball.

OnTheWarpath15 06-27-2014 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPATCH (Post 10718575)
You are right. There are a lot of concussions in soccer. I think it's crazy that most soccer players don't wear a mouthpiece. My kid certainly will.

It's not just the concussions, though. It's the constant sub-concussive blows that your head takes throughout a football game/practice.

I have personally dealt with a noticeable loss of cognitive ability in my early twenties that I can only attribute to ten years of tackle football (playing both ways every season).

Which brings up another point: if my future son does want to play football, I might try to make him wait until at least 7th grade and try to make sure he only plays on one side of the ball.

Same here, so I completely understand your thought to avoid football. If I (or my parents) known back then what we know now, I wouldn't have played.

Just pointing out that soccer isn't exactly exempt from the concussion crisis either.

O.city 06-27-2014 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPATCH (Post 10718575)

Thing is, there are constant blows to your head in soccer too in terms of headers etc.

penguinz 06-27-2014 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 10718606)
Thing is, there are constant blows to your head in soccer too in terms of headers etc.

You don't have to head the ball.

O.city 06-27-2014 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by penguinz (Post 10718615)
You don't have to head the ball.

You don't have to tackle with your head either.

SPATCH 06-27-2014 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 10718606)

You're right. I'll probably have to look into it a little bit more.

I would tend to think that wearing a mouthpiece would do a lot to minimize the effect of simple headers, but I could be wrong.

It just seems to me that the amount of blows and the severity of the blows taken in soccer is far less than that of football.

I was getting ready to say that you don't hear many stories about former players offing themselves or slipping into dementia. But, I just remembered a story about a German goalkeeper who played for the national team that tossed himself in front of a train out of nowhere. Damn....

**** it, my son is going in a bubble.

OnTheWarpath15 06-27-2014 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPATCH (Post 10718660)

I would tend to think that wearing a mouthpiece would do a lot to minimize the effect of simple headers, but I could be wrong.

It just seems to me that the amount of blows and the severity of the blows taken in soccer is far less than that of football.

I was getting ready to say that you don't hear many stories about former players offing themselves or slipping into dementia. But, I just remembered a story about a German goalkeeper who played for the national team that tossed himself in front of a train out of nowhere. Damn....

I read somewhere that the act of heading the ball rarely results in a concussion.

It's the head-to-head collisions during the attempted headers - along with head-to-shoulder and head to ground/knees when tackling/being tackled.

Baby Lee 06-27-2014 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath58 (Post 10718676)
I read somewhere that the act of heading the ball rarely results in a concussion.

It's the head-to-head collisions during the attempted headers - along with head-to-shoulder and head to ground/knees when tackling/being tackled.

Yeah soccer balls simply don't have the mass and are rarely driven to the velocity to concuss someone.

If you took a full-throated shot directly to the forehead, maybe. A corner kick, no chance.

SPATCH 06-27-2014 11:18 AM

I do wonder if some of those headers can give you a "sub-concussive" blow. I haven't played enough soccer to know.

There is a great concern that the constant sub-concussive blows that a football player experiences start to pile up and have a detrimental effect.

I've only played a little bit of soccer, but I've had my bell rung a little bit on some headers before.

Baby Lee 06-27-2014 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPATCH (Post 10718707)
I do wonder if some of those headers can give you a "sub-concussive" blow. I haven't played enough soccer to know.

There is a great concern that the constant sub-concussive blows that a football player experiences start to pile up and have a detrimental effect.

I've only played a little bit of soccer, but I've had my bell rung a little bit on some headers before.

I've never had any ill effects from a header I intended and managed to meet with my forehead, some that missed and glanced off behind my ear were a tad painful, though.

O.city 06-27-2014 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath58 (Post 10718676)

It's the consistent head trauma that comes from heading it. IIRC, ESPN did a 30 for 30 on a soccer player that developed a debilitating neuro muscular disease.

Studies have found CTE in the brains of soccer players as well, same as football. Don't think it was at the same rate though. I'll see if i can find anything on that.

Silock 06-27-2014 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower (Post 10718373)

Why can't he watch it all? I do.

'Hamas' Jenkins 06-27-2014 12:18 PM

Concussions are more acutely dangerous, but the risk of CTE comes from the hundreds of sub-concussive impacts, hence CTE in soccer players and jockeys.

Eleazar 06-27-2014 12:34 PM

What's his name, Ian Darke's color commentator on the US broadcasts, was an MLS player who had to retire due to concussions. Twellman?

Crying Ramtard 06-27-2014 01:48 PM

losing to win is the Euro way

|Zach| 06-27-2014 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ram29jackson (Post 10719008)
losing to win is the Euro way

You can lose 3 games in the championship series for baseball and basketball and still win the championship.

Damn liberals.

|Zach| 06-27-2014 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cochise (Post 10718901)
What's his name, Ian Darke's color commentator on the US broadcasts, was an MLS player who had to retire due to concussions. Twellman?

Ian Darke is the older British guy. Taylor Twellman is the one who is big with the concussion stuff and was a good former player. Younger guy. Both good IMO.

Reaper16 06-27-2014 02:11 PM

Germany won the group? They didn't even beat the team that the U.S. beat, though! They got lucky!

BigRedChief 06-27-2014 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by |Zach| (Post 10719037)
You can lose 3 games in the championship series for baseball and basketball and still win the championship.

Damn liberals.

But you still "won" 4 games. You still "won" more games than your competition.

Soccer isn't based on solely winning games. They are not really comparable to other sports. How they measure success is a different animal.

|Zach| 06-27-2014 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 10719063)

Soccer isn't based on solely winning games. They are not really comparable to other sports. How they measure success is a different animal.

They won against Ghana.

There were 4 teams and two advance. They did better than the othe two in a group of games...the fact that some are so wrapped up in the fact that one of those is a loss makes me think..l don't even know what to think. The whole setup is actually really simple.

|Zach| 06-27-2014 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by |Zach| (Post 10719159)
They won against Ghana.

There were 4 teams and two advance. They did better than the othe two in a group of games...the fact that some are so wrapped up in the fact that one of those is a loss makes me think..l don't even know what to think. The whole setup is actually really simple.

To add on. This system isn't used to determine a champion in this tournament. It's used for seeding for a bracket. For some reason nobody gives a shit when an NFL team loses the last regular season game before their playoff game. (This is exactly what is happening)

Titty Meat 06-27-2014 03:37 PM

This thread is hilarious.

You don't see people having to defend real football.

Soccer fans are insecure.

SPATCH 06-27-2014 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chocolate Hog (Post 10719193)

Real football is for pussies. They have to wear a bunch of padding.

Play a real sport like rugby. No pussy-ass padding.

Eleazar 06-27-2014 03:54 PM

Quote:

Insecure are the tards that keep posting in a thread about something they don't care about. They keep coming back to the thread over and over and posting repeatedly how much they don't care about it.

Oh wait, that's you Mr. Bicep

Pasta Little Brioni 06-27-2014 03:57 PM

Billay s new name should be Diarrhea

sedated 06-27-2014 03:58 PM

Quote:

Group play is just comparable to another sport's regular season - win enough to qualify for the playoffs. You don't have to win every regular season game in any sport.

Don't most soccer leagues not even have a playoff? Regular season determines it? Part of me has always been perplexed why so many sports will "punish" the team that was best throughout the season by having to win a tournament.

Eleazar 06-27-2014 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sedated (Post 10719225)
Group play is just comparable to another sport's regular season - win enough to qualify for the playoffs. You don't have to win every regular season game in any sport.

Don't most soccer leagues not even have a playoff? Regular season determines it? Part of me has always been perplexed why so many sports will "punish" the team that was best throughout the season by having to win a tournament.

Club teams play in tournaments, but yes, winning the league just means being at the top of the standings when the season ends.

New World Order 06-27-2014 04:07 PM

Quote:

Yes it is. How many teams have won the world cup with a loss during playoff rounds?

Rudy tossed tigger's salad 06-27-2014 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPATCH (Post 10719203)
Real football is for pussies. They have to wear a bunch of padding.

Play a real sport like rugby. No pussy-ass padding.

Rugby is just a bunch of gang tackling by unathletic white dudes.

SPATCH 06-27-2014 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rudy lost the toss (Post 10719241)
Rugby is just a bunch of gang tackling by unathletic white dudes.

Football is a bunch of well padded pussies.

Titty Meat 06-27-2014 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cochise (Post 10719218)
Insecure are the tards that keep posting in a thread about something they don't care about. They keep coming back to the thread over and over and posting repeatedly how much they don't care about it.

Oh wait, that's you Mr. Bicep

You seem upset

Rudy tossed tigger's salad 06-27-2014 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPATCH (Post 10719247)
Football is a bunch of well padded pussies.

Maybe, but it's entertaining. Rugby is a joke of a sport. Most stop playing smear-the-queer after grade school.

SPATCH 06-27-2014 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rudy lost the toss (Post 10719255)
Maybe, but it's entertaining. Rugby is a joke of a sport. Most stop playing smear-the-queer after grade school.

Look at you....

Having to defend football. How pathetic.

Rudy tossed tigger's salad 06-27-2014 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPATCH (Post 10719259)
Look at you....

Having to defend football. How pathetic.

I may be a USMNT troll, but I'm not a "soccer is dumb/boring" troll.

My post was less about football, more about Rugby, and nothing about soccer.

Nice try.

Pasta Little Brioni 06-27-2014 04:26 PM

Turning on football on a Chiefs board is strange though.

DaFace 06-27-2014 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pasta Giant Meatball (Post 10719272)

Eh, I bitch about football plenty on here. I loved it 15 years ago, but it's not even the same game these days. I'm here more for the discussion than the Chiefs these days.

kcxiv 06-27-2014 04:32 PM

Quote:

how is it strange? the game has changed and while it may be for the masses, the people that want to actually see "football in its purest" form are getting shafted. Football is mostly College ball now with the spread going on. I enjoy it, but not like i used too.

Pasta Little Brioni 06-27-2014 04:39 PM

It's still the best thing going by 9 country miles instead of 10 for the whiners....but the world cup is awesome

SPATCH 06-27-2014 06:01 PM

Quote:

I was more trying to make a point about the absurdity of this post:

Quote:

I still love the shit out of football and the Chiefs. Although, I have been a bit jaded by the whole CTE thing.

New World Order 06-27-2014 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rudy lost the toss (Post 10719269)
I may be a USMNT troll, but I'm not a "soccer is dumb/boring" troll.

My post was less about football, more about Rugby, and nothing about soccer.

Nice try.

Rudy did you notice how Bradley was supposed to be marking the German striker who initially got his foot on the ball that led to the rebound goal from Thomas Muller?

aturnis 06-27-2014 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the Talking Can (Post 10718173)
the only thing more boring than teh 5 guys left in america that need to loudly proclaim that they don't like soccer...

...is baseball

That's what I'm sayin'!

aturnis 06-27-2014 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPATCH (Post 10718660)

No. I disagree here. With headers, if done right, you are delivering a blow to the ball, not the other way around, and there is hardly a real impact to speak of. The real concern is butting heads with a opposing player.

That said, my kid will be taught to never head the ball unless it's a pass, or a shot. Not b/c of concussion concerns(even though it's a valid issue), but b/c most headers are unnecessary, and do little to maintain possession. I hate inexperienced players who head everything that comes their way, even sky rocketing goal kicks from the other half if the field. Stupid. Trap the ball. Get it to your feet, control it, and find your teammates.

aturnis 06-27-2014 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPATCH (Post 10718707)

Were you the guy heading goal kicks from the other end off the field? Don't do that!

aturnis 06-27-2014 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 10718718)
I've never had any ill effects from a header I intended and managed to meet with my forehead, some that missed and glanced off behind my ear were a tad painful, though.

I really don't think most novice players realize the header zone of your head. Top of the forehead. Probably the same area a fighter would use to DELIVER a blow, not share one.

Baby Lee 06-27-2014 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aturnis (Post 10719820)
No. I disagree here. With headers, if done right, you are delivering a blow to the ball, not the other way around, and there is hardly a real impact to speak of. The real concern is butting heads with a opposing player.

That said, my kid will be taught to never head the ball unless it's a pass, or a shot. Not b/c of concussion concerns(even though it's a valid issue), but b/c most headers are unnecessary, and do little to maintain possession. I hate inexperienced players who head everything that comes their way, even sky rocketing goal kicks from the other half if the field. Stupid. Trap the ball. Get it to your feet, control it, and find your teammates.

To be fair, when experienced players do it, it's because the ball is coming down in traffic and that is the highest point at which your can influence it. Trying to trap it and get it to your feet means that the defenseman is going to get to it above you and leave you holding your dork.

aturnis 06-27-2014 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 10719888)
To be fair, when experienced players do it, it's because the ball is coming down in traffic and that is the highest point at which your can influence it. Trying to trap it and get it to your feet means that the defenseman is going to get to it above you and leave you holding your dork.

Yeah, in traffic is fair, but still, go somewhere with it.

O.city 06-27-2014 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aturnis (Post 10719820)

I don't think that's possible due to physics.

aturnis 06-28-2014 05:54 PM

Good god.

salame 06-29-2014 01:39 AM

we lose dogs