ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Food and Drink 50 Beers to Try Before You Die (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=227168)

shirtsleeve 04-01-2011 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 7532042)
What's a Canadian Ale?

Light color, good body, 5.5% abv, willamette hops with about a 4.6% alpha acid. Smooth beer, a bit heavier and more nose than a Pale Ale. Crowd pleaser I brew for friends who just want "a beer"

DeezNutz 04-01-2011 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shirtsleeve (Post 7532054)
Light color, good body, 5.5% abv, willamette hops with about a 4.6% alpha acid. Smooth beer, a bit heavier and more nose than a Pale Ale. Crowd pleaser I brew for friends who just want "a beer"

Did we really acquire a n00b who is not a complete dipshit? Are you sure you're in the right place, dude?

Reaper16 04-01-2011 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shirtsleeve (Post 7532054)

Cool.

I'm curious about why you feel that all-grain is too expensive to switch to. I'm all-grain and it didn't seem like much of a financial jump at all.

Reaper16 04-01-2011 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeezNutz (Post 7532064)
Did we really acquire a n00b who is not a complete dipshit? Are you sure you're in the right place, dude?

He's a Pats fan. So the jury is still out.

Phobia 04-01-2011 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 7532068)
Cool.

I'm curious about why you feel that all-grain is too expensive to switch to. I'm all-grain and it didn't seem like much of a financial jump at all.

What are YOU doing posting in this thread?

shirtsleeve 04-01-2011 07:39 PM

Quote:

Thanks, but I did just perform a complete FAIL posting a new beer thread. The jury is still out.

Phobia 04-01-2011 07:39 PM

Quote:

They already trained him at PP.

DeezNutz 04-01-2011 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 7532070)

'Bama truth. (keed)

By the way, Boulevard + Elbow = win. One bottle of it left for Deez = :(

Bearcat 04-01-2011 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeezNutz (Post 7532078)
'Bama truth.

Booo****inghooo.

DeezNutz 04-01-2011 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bearcat (Post 7532082)
Booo****inghooo.

You didn't get any, huh? Purchased three bottles, after many a phone call to locate the goods. Just finished bottle 2.

Reaper16 04-01-2011 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phobia (Post 7532071)
What are YOU doing posting in this thread?

Trolling. I don't even like beer. I'm drinking a Dr. Pepper right now.

shirtsleeve 04-01-2011 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 7532068)
Cool.

Well you have the roasters, grinders, the mash tun and then you spend a bunch of time mashing and sparging. Then you gotta get rid of up to 15# of gooey grain waste for a 5 gallon batch. I buy quality extracts made by a local home brew supplier themselves, use a few # of grains and get very similar results, imo. Going all grain is the only way if you are brewing large batches or a whole bunch of batches though. The cost difference of buying bulk grains in barrels makes up for it pretty quickly.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 7532070)

Thats what I said.

kstater 04-01-2011 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shirtsleeve (Post 7532095)
Well you have the roasters, grinders, the mash tun and then you spend a bunch of time mashing and sparging. Then you gotta get rid of up to 15# of gooey grain waste for a 5 gallon batch. I buy quality extracts made by a local home brew supplier themselves, use a few # of grains and get very similar results, imo. Going all grain is the only way if you are brewing large batches or a whole bunch of batches though. The cost difference of buying bulk grains in barrels makes up for it pretty quickly.

Do what makes you happy. But I went to all-grain with $75 in parts(10 gal Cooler). You don't need a roaster or a grinder. And I can start the strike water and be cleaned up in 5 hours.

Reaper16 04-01-2011 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shirtsleeve (Post 7532095)

Ah, I don't do the grinding myself. I get my malts ground from a homebrew supply store. I find that all of that time for mashing and sparging is also time for good conversation and beer drinking. When I have a brew day, I usually brew two 5-gallon batches. I start the mash for the second beer while the first beer is in the brew kettle.

NewChief 04-01-2011 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeezNutz (Post 7532078)
'Bama truth. (keed)

That shit sold out quick down here. I got one bottle, and that was it. When it first came to town, it was on the shelf for a couple of weeks, so I didn't sweat it too much. Then it just vanished.