ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football Patriots' Hernandez Questioned By Police in Homicide Probe (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=273914)

Mr. Laz 06-27-2013 05:29 PM

Hernandez likely won’t get his guaranteed base salaries

Posted by Mike Florio on June 27, 2013, 1:03 PM EDT

AP
With more than $5 million still arguably owed to Aaron Hernandez under the contract he signed last August, the Patriots likely will fight to avoid paying him another dime. The two-front battle relates to the final $3.25 million installment of his $12.5 million signing bonus and guaranteed base salaries for 2013 and 2014. The guaranteed base salaries total $2.5 million.

As to the signing bonus, the team’s decision to cut Hernandez makes it much more difficult to block the final payment or to recover any of the $8.75 million already issued to Hernandez. As to the guaranteed salaries, multiple sources have indicated that Hernandez likely will not be entitled to any further payment.

Despite the absence of forfeiture language for the guaranteed salaries, the guarantee applies only to terminations made due to injury, skill (i.e., perceived lack of it), and the salary cap. Because the Patriots cut Hernandez pursuant to paragraph 11 of the standard player contract, which permits termination of employment when the player “has engaged in personal conduct reasonably judged by Club to adversely affect or reflect on Club,” the guarantee evaporates.

As we understand it, that’s not merely the team’s position. The NFLPA, we’re told, agrees with the interpretation.

While this doesn’t prevent Hernandez from filing a grievance aimed at getting the money, it’s a steep uphill climb and, frankly, the least of his concerns.

The more intriguing fight will arise in connection with the unpaid $3.25 million installment of the signing bonus. That money already has been earned by Hernandez. But cutting him, the Patriots apparently surrendered any ability to recover the money that has been paid or to keep the portion that hasn’t been paid.

Still, it currently appears that the Patriots will at a minimum force Hernandez to sue for the rest — and at most try to recover as much of the previously-paid signing bonus as they can.

The problem for Hernandez is that, even though the terms of the labor deal seem to be on his side, the facts can nudge the controversy toward a bad outcome. The problem for other players is that, if Hernandez loses, a bad precedent will be created for them.

Either way, it appears that the Patriots have enhanced their ability to avoid the guaranteed salaries by cutting Hernandez, even if cutting him makes it harder to avoid paying the final $3.25 million.

ThaVirus 06-27-2013 05:30 PM

But why the fear that Lloyd would roll over? These people are anything but snitches.

Was he being pressed in an investigation?

KC native 06-27-2013 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 9780186)
It takes a special kind of idiot to catch a body with millions in the bank. Any random dude from the hood will pull a trigger for $25,000.

Yup, many of them would do it for much less.

Mr. Laz 06-27-2013 05:32 PM

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BNxotZ5CUAAqCOC.jpg

TEX 06-27-2013 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9780055)
Yeah, no.

Massachusetts doesn't have the death penalty as an option.

That's why, if he were going to kill someone or two or three, that I wish he would have done it in TEXAS...:evil:

Mr. Laz 06-27-2013 05:37 PM

btw ... isn't he doing it wrong?

supposed to be C's and instead he looks like he's giving the double Otay from Little Rascals.

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/i...9U-V4svWqJ_2vw

Brando 06-27-2013 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Laz (Post 9780249)
btw ... isn't he doing it wrong?

supposed to be C's and instead he looks like he's giving the double Otay from Little Rascals.

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/i...9U-V4svWqJ_2vw

Laz is Paula Deen holy shit :)

Setsuna 06-27-2013 06:40 PM

Meh speculation. The social media age will ruin this case. They are speculating out of their a$$. If they had anything it wouldn't be told to anyone. They have NOTHING but circumstantial. They're trying to legally torture him by leaving him to himself in that cell but he won't break.

Chiefs Pantalones 06-27-2013 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Setsuna (Post 9780346)
Meh speculation. The social media age will ruin this case. They are speculating out of their a$$. If they had anything it wouldn't be told to anyone. They have NOTHING but circumstantial. They're trying to legally torture him by leaving him to himself in that cell but he won't break.

LMAO

Innocent!!!!

Mr. Laz 06-27-2013 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brando (Post 9780335)
Laz is Paula Deen holy shit :)

bbbbut i know people *sniffle*who know people who have black people that work for them. :deevee:

BossChief 06-27-2013 06:54 PM

They should pay that guaranteed money into a trust account for the baby.

pkane 06-27-2013 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inmem58 (Post 9779977)
Shit gets deeper

@AdamSchefter: Boston PD has located red SUV with RI plates it was looking for as identified in July 2012 homicide. Aaron Hernandez rented it.

I thought it was a silver SUV involved in the shooting

SAUTO 06-27-2013 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pkane (Post 9780367)

That post was about the drive by that happened in 2012
Posted via Mobile Device

pkane 06-27-2013 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JASONSAUTO (Post 9780375)
That post was about the drive by that happened in 2012
Posted via Mobile Device

I know. They said it was a gray or silver SUV w/ RI plates. Never anything about a red SUV.

Setsuna 06-27-2013 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Laz (Post 9780353)
bbbbut i know people *sniffle*who know people who have black people that work for them. :deevee:

What happened with her? I don't know the story

Quote:

Originally Posted by pkane (Post 9780367)

This is exactly my point.