ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Royals 2013 Kansas City Royals Repository Thread (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=267564)

TomBarndtsTwin 08-08-2013 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiTown (Post 9867401)
Saturday's game is going to be tough. Felix Doubront has only given up 16 ER's in his last 10 Games. That's VERY good. He's a big strong lefty that is hard to hit. His biggest weakness is his control - and it's not a glaring problem at all. We'll need to get to him early to have a good chance in that game. That said, Guthrie has been very good in his last 3 starts. His last game was masterful. Let's hope his mojo continues.

Sunday's match-up with Lester going against Shields.......If we were talking 3 weeks ago, I would have loved our chances. Now? Let's just say that I am hoping for an off day for Lackey. Lackey has owned in day games, where James has definitely struggled more in Day v Night Games.

Yeah, with Saturday's matchup against the big power lefty at the top of his game and our left handed heavy offense . . . . needless to say, don't like that matchup at all.

And Sunday, just depends on which Shields shows up. Lackey will do his thing (I don't see us getting more than a couple against him), but if we can run up his pitch count and get to their bullpen by the 6th or 7th, I like our chances.

Interesting Side Note: I read somewhere that Shields has 2.35 ERA when he is being caught by Salvy and close to 4 when other guys (Kottreras, Hayes) are behind the plate. Don't know if pitch selection and set up played into Tuesday's debacle at all, but thought it was interesting. Hopefully Salvy will be back and ready to go by Sunday!

ChiTown 08-08-2013 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Great Expectations (Post 9867413)
I thought they'd finish last in the East when the year began and that Toronto had a chance to win it. Ortiz has been mashing, and the rest of the lineup is solid pretty much all the way through. Their starting pitching has been serviceable and the relief guys have been pretty good.

Their team ops is 787, Hosmer has our highest ops for our regulars at 785.

Yep, they lead MLB in OPS, OBP, RBI, Runs, 2B's and BB's ; 2nd in BA and SLG%, 3B's and Hits - they also can run the base-path's very well. I'd say, offensively, they can kick serious ass.

tredadda 08-08-2013 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiTown (Post 9867304)
Texas and Oakland are now tied. Oakland is losing fuel fast. If we are chasing the A's, I like our chances, regardless of the fact that they have a couple series left with the Astros. I think we will be chasing Baltimore and Oakland for the last Wildcard spot. JMHO

I think we have to be concerned with Cleveland as well for a number of reasons.

1. They were as hot as us prior to them playing Detroit
2. They routinely get beat by Detroit, so these last three losses are not a true sign they are cooling off.
3. They have a relatively easy schedule going forward.
4. We struggle against them.

JMHO though.

gblowfish 08-08-2013 08:34 AM

Did you guys see Ibanez' throw from left in last night's Toronto-Mariners game?

http://i41.tinypic.com/112916s.gif

gblowfish 08-08-2013 08:46 AM

Maybe this chick is related to Ibanez?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/ulg8GScyxH8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

CaliforniaChief 08-08-2013 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gblowfish (Post 9867442)

LMAO

siberian khatru 08-08-2013 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gblowfish (Post 9867442)

I saw Lonnie Smith do that once with the Phillies. Threw the ball straight down on to the hard Astroturf and it bounced about 15 feet in the air.

TomBarndtsTwin 08-08-2013 08:57 AM

Gordo's struggling. Trade him for Ibanez, straight up now.

Do it!

CaliforniaChief 08-08-2013 09:04 AM

So do you guys think the Royals will try to make a post-waiver move with someone?

I actually am fine with what we have at RF/2B, unless we had the chance to get Hunter Pence, who would be a game changer, IMO.

I'd look at SP, but wouldn't overpay for anyone and would gladly walk away if someone wanted to gut our farm system for a rental.

DeezNutz 08-08-2013 09:21 AM

I actually do not think that Pence would be much of a change at all. He's a 2.7 WAR player, and Lough is 2.4 WAR.

What Pence brings offensively, he lacks defensively. And there's no need to pay exponentially more for what we essentially already have.

Great Expectations 08-08-2013 09:40 AM

What we need is moar power from the right side. Billy slugging 404 is ridiculous. I expect him to pick it up and slug over 500 for the remainder of the year.

Saul Good 08-08-2013 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeezNutz (Post 9867573)
I actually do not think that Pence would be much of a change at all. He's a 2.7 WAR player, and Lough is 2.4 WAR.

What Pence brings offensively, he lacks defensively. And there's no need to pay exponentially more for what we essentially already have.

I love what Lough has meant to our team, but I'm pretty sure he's Mike Aviles.

DeezNutz 08-08-2013 09:47 AM

Probably right. But his coach hasn't turned into a pumpkin yet, and I don't think it will this year. And Pence is a FA in '14.

I'm great with upgrading RF in the off-season, but I don't see a viable option available in '13.

ChiTown 08-08-2013 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeezNutz (Post 9867629)
Probably right. But his coach hasn't turned into a pumpkin yet, and I don't think it will this year. And Pence is a FA in '14.

I'm great with upgrading RF in the off-season, but I don't see a viable option available in '13.

This. End of discussion.

Prison Bitch 08-08-2013 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 9867619)
I love what Lough has meant to our team, but I'm pretty sure he's Mike Aviles.

Great! Aviles has averaged 2.1 WAR/162 games in his career. And he's cheap. Alcides by comparison only gets 1.4 WAR/162 games and he cost us our best pitcher in 20 years.

So to recap: Aviles for free, Alcides for a lot. When Aviles is the better player. Awful. Small markets depend on guys like Lough delivering above avg WAR so you don't have to trade for it or pay for it.