ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Eric Berry ‘a bit surprised’ on lack of extension progress (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=300780)

RunKC 07-28-2016 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 12339240)
The opportunity to continue playing alongside guys that he's called 'his family' over the last several years.

He's set for life even if he'd have signed a low-ball offer with KC.

But it's not a money thing; it's a pride thing. Eric Berry believes he's the best safety in football and should be paid as such. I disagree with him, but it's at least an argument worth having. Berry sees any deal less than that as a shot at his ability and as such, won't agree to it.

He put pride ahead of 'his family'....or he was just full of shit.

Either way, I don't really care. Giving him 5/$50 would've been a mistake, IMO. He's given the Chiefs an opportunity to dodge the bullet and it's an out they should take.

What would you do? Roll that over to next year and pay Poe with a lot of draft picks in 2017?

O.city 07-28-2016 10:15 AM

I'd have approached him earlier about a deal before I tagged him, if he was dead set on what he wanted, I'd have not tagged him, looked at other safety options and moved on.

DaneMcCloud 07-28-2016 10:21 AM

It was reported this morning that if the Chiefs rescinded the tag, no team would pay Berry even close to the $10.8 million dollar tag number.

Rescind the tag.

DJ's left nut 07-28-2016 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 12339249)
Oh, yeah.

Well, given the choice between working with my friends and an extra $8m or whatever I think I'd take the money.

Maybe.

But let's say you're sitting on a trust fund. And as part of that trust fund, if you work for 3 more years, you'll pretty much never have to work another day in your life and you'll live in pretty much unparalleled luxury wherever you choose to go.

Would you rather work with your friends or would you rather make another 10%? Knowing full well that your taken care of whether you get that extra 10% or not.

That's why I don't think this has anything to do with money. If I were sitting on $60 million (essentially the ability to spend $100,000/mo until I die) and a vested NFL pension which would put me in the top 3% of income earners on its own, I'd rather play with my buddies than make a few more dollars. I'd rather stay where I'm comfortable; where I know the staff, the coaches, the town.

And I think most would do the same. I think his pride is wounded here because honestly, I just can't quite wrap my head around the alternative, which is just 'Scrooge McDuckian' greed - greed for greed's sake.

DaneMcCloud 07-28-2016 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 12339259)
I'd have approached him earlier about a deal before I tagged him, if he was dead set on what he wanted, I'd have not tagged him, looked at other safety options and moved on.

Well, that's kind of difficult to pull off when the owner states publicly that he wants Berry has a life long Chief.

Hunt screwed Dorsey's leverage.

RunKC 07-28-2016 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 12339268)
It was reported this morning that if the Chiefs rescinded the tag, no team would pay Berry even close to the $10.8 million dollar tag number.

Rescind the tag.

Where was this reported??

DJ's left nut 07-28-2016 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 12339252)
What would you do? Roll that over to next year and pay Poe with a lot of draft picks in 2017?

Said it 2 weeks ago - that's exactly what I'd do.

O.city 07-28-2016 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 12339271)
Well, that's kind of difficult to pull off when the owner states publicly that he wants Berry has a life long Chief.

Hunt screwed Dorsey's leverage.

Eh, maybe. I dunno how much they'd take that into account.

DJ's left nut 07-28-2016 10:25 AM

Quote:

Rescind the tag.

If they pull it, can the Chiefs engage in market discussions with him?

Right now they can't agree to a LTC, but if they yank the tag and cast him out in the market, wouldn't that seem to put them back in the mix as he's a UFA at that point.

It makes all the sense in the world. I suspect they're just waiting to get through a few practices - maybe a pre-season game - to see what they have.

O.city 07-28-2016 10:26 AM

Pull the tag, let him test the market. Give him your best offer and see if he can or can't find better. If not, the market just negotiated for you

The Franchise 07-28-2016 10:26 AM

Quote:

Rescind the tag.

No way. I almost guarantee you that a team like the Browns, 49ers or Titans would pay him that.

O.city 07-28-2016 10:27 AM

****, dj technically said it first but I think I typed it first

RunKC 07-28-2016 10:27 AM

If we rescind the tag, Berry is gone. Not paying him what he wants and then rescinding his $11 million guaranteed? You wouldn't want to stay after that either

The Franchise 07-28-2016 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 12339278)
If they pull it, can the Chiefs engage in market discussions with him?

I brought that up yesterday. I believe that if they pull the tag.....that they would be able to work on a deal with him because he'd be an UFA.

O.city 07-28-2016 10:29 AM

I'd say the bridge is burned anyway so yeah, he's probably gone