ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Chiefs are releasing RT Eric Winston (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=270822)

Rausch 03-07-2013 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tooge (Post 9473418)
So that he can trade him.

:facepalm:

patteeu 03-07-2013 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 9473323)
We have spent entirely too many picks on the OL in the previous drafts to dip into that well again this year, especially at tackle.

If the Chiefs were to go after a lineman this year, they should look at a center, and do so in the mid-late rounds. Shift Hudson to guard and have the two second year players battle it out for RT and swing tackle depth.

Draft strategy should be based on current team needs, not on the kinds of picks we've used in the past at a given position. Those are sunk costs that shouldn't influence future decisions.

Rausch 03-07-2013 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 9473429)
Draft strategy should be based on current team needs, not on the kinds of picks we've used in the past at a given position. Those are sunk costs that shouldn't influence future decisions.

Our biggest needs are CB, WR, FS, RT, ILB, and overall depth.

RT probably being about the 4th priority...

The Franchise 03-07-2013 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 9473429)

Good....then we can draft a RT in the 3rd round because we already have a LT. Next.

NJChiefsFan 03-07-2013 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tooge (Post 9473418)
So that he can trade him.

Is that a fact? I thought we were talking in facts here, not changing to speculation in an attempt to refute a fact that hurts the argument.

beach tribe 03-07-2013 10:12 AM

TE
Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 9473420)
Wall of text aside, this is a good point. However, a counterargument exists: given the changes in the hits that can be made on QBs and the lack of physical coverage by DBs, the importance of a tackle can actually decrease, as the QB gets the ball out quicker to receivers who are protected within the first few yards of the LOS.

Yet it seems the successful teams are the ones who are able to push the ball down the field. In a copy cat league protection is going to reach an all time premium.
Sorry about the wot. I get lax when I type on a phone.

The Franchise 03-07-2013 10:12 AM

You can't sit there and tell me that Reid and Dorsey are going to want to protect their veteran QB's blindside with a rookie who has never played a down in the NFL. Not after what he's been through in Philly.

The release of Eric Winston only makes me believe that we have his replacement in-house or we're going to sign a RT in FA that better suits this offense.

The Franchise 03-07-2013 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Go to Hell (Post 9472391)
Dane, are you really this stupid? He was the best right tackle in football last season.

http://i.imgur.com/n4kp6aF.jpg

The top two RTs on that list are FAs.

RunKC 03-07-2013 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 9473444)
You can't sit there and tell me that Reid and Dorsey are going to want to protect their veteran QB's blindside with a rookie who has never played a down in the NFL. Not after what he's been through in Philly.

The release of Eric Winston only makes me believe that we have his replacement in-house or we're going to sign a RT in FA that better suits this offense.

Umm Reid never had the option of drafting the best LT in a strong LT class LMAO

Rausch 03-07-2013 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 9473438)
Good....then we can draft a RT in the 3rd round because we already have a LT.

CB! :cuss:

beach tribe 03-07-2013 10:15 AM

I don't know how that TE got up there. Weird.

mcaj22 03-07-2013 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 9473448)
Umm Reid never had the option of drafting the best LT in a strong LT class LMAO

no he did not

what he did instead was traded for the best LT in the NFL until that LT got hurt before the season started and ruined the entire season with a patchwork o-line pretty much

Rausch 03-07-2013 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beach tribe (Post 9473451)
I don't know how that TE got up there. Weird.

It is a need...:D

PhillyChiefFan 03-07-2013 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 9473444)

I agree with this. We have no idea what Reid/Dorsey have planned, but I highly doubt they will put Alex Smith into a vulnerable position given Reid's issue with the Philly OL last year. There's a reason Winston was let go.

I'm trying to look at it this way:

Albert was tagged and Winston was cut.

Right now, everything else is speculation.

tooge 03-07-2013 10:21 AM

All I'm saying is the same thing that Dorsey said. They have the flexibility to go in alot of directions. I'd love for them to work out a long term deal for Albert, move Stevenson to RT, and use the number one on Geno.

Having said that, I'd also be fine with Trading Albert for a mid first, drafting the best LT, and taking a QB in the middle of the first.

I'd also be fine with trading Albert for a first, picking up Andre Smith in FA, and using our two firsts for a QB and CB.

Point is, there are lots of options, none of which involve drafting a RT in the top 3 rounds.