ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Royals 2014 Royals Repository (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=279729)

Prison Bitch 02-04-2014 10:58 AM

Wow that list is great, I remember so many of them. But 1985 was "The Thrill Of It All" no? I have an old VCR tape of the Royals 85 title and it was titled that. What is that all about?

2004 was not Together We Can. It was latinized: "Nosotros Creemos". 1998's "This...is Hardball" generated more jokes than I'd care to repeat here.

Cephalic Trauma 02-04-2014 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 10413188)
Wow that list is great, I remember so many of them. But 1985 was "The Thrill Of It All" no? I have an old VCR tape of the Royals 85 title and it was titled that. What is that all about?

2004 was not Together We Can. It was latinized: "Nosotros Creemos". 1998's "This...is Hardball" generated more jokes than I'd care to repeat here.

Did you go on meds or something?

Prison Bitch 02-04-2014 11:01 AM

Que?

duncan_idaho 02-04-2014 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiTown (Post 10413130)
If we can get another 1/2 season of production out of Chen as a Starter, I will be absolutely amazed. I would have guessed that we had squeezed about as much blood out of that turnip as humanly possible.

I'm pretty convinced you get get average to above-average 4/5 starter innings out of him for about half a season. Maybe longer, if you limit him to 5-6 IP and never ask him to stretch too much.

What he gave them as a starter last year was above average (3.61 ERA, 1.08 WHIP, 15 starts). If he can give them 12 starts of 3.75/1.25, I think you take it and run... and drop in someone else.

SAUTO 02-04-2014 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeezNutz (Post 10413097)
Oh, and it should be noted that Royals threads are easily some of the best on CP since the great douche migrations of '09 and '13.

for sure.

im just glad we didn't get a ton of douches following shields around, although im worried some good posters might have followed getz out the door...

Mama Hip Rockets 02-04-2014 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gblowfish (Post 10413165)
1990: Catch the Thrill

I remember this from when I was a kid. I thought their little jingle was the greatest.

"Roooooyalllls baaaaaseballll...catch the thrill!"

Reaper16 02-04-2014 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thurman merman (Post 10413334)
I remember this from when I was a kid. I thought their little jingle was the greatest.

"Roooooyalllls baaaaaseballll...catch the thrill!"

My favorite Royals radio jingle comes from the mid-2000s. "Kansas City Royals basebaaaaal... sit where ever you'd liiike!"

Coach 02-04-2014 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alnorth (Post 10413083)
Yeah, I'm not necessarily second-guessing the decision to move quickly, I'm just a bit frustrated that it worked out this way. Its easy to complain that we should have waited, but I think back in November most of us thought the value of pitching was going to be sky-high, and if you really think pitchers will get paid a ton then you should grab the first guy whose contract demands are anywhere close to reasonable because you don't want to be one of the last teams scrounging around in that musical chairs game. Next year acting quickly could be the correct move.

I'm not second guessing the decision to move quickly as well, since as you stated above, but I honestly thought the pitching market would have been insane.

I'm beginning to wonder that the teams are getting into the habit of not interested in giving up their first round pick for a "suspect" pitcher on the market. If the Royals didn't give Santana the QO (Qualifying Offer), more than likely Santana would have been off the market. So the QO is a great tactic for the team.

If my memory serves me right, the Royals gave the QO to Santana of $14 million. At this rate, I would imagine that it's looking more and more likely that Santana could end up having few suitors coming into spring training, and be forced to negotiate a team friendly contract with the Royals, possibly less than $14 million.

I wonder if Santana is kicking himself for turning down that QO.....

KevB 02-04-2014 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alnorth (Post 10413083)
Yeah, I'm not necessarily second-guessing the decision to move quickly, I'm just a bit frustrated that it worked out this way. Its easy to complain that we should have waited, but I think back in November most of us thought the value of pitching was going to be sky-high, and if you really think pitchers will get paid a ton then you should grab the first guy whose contract demands are anywhere close to reasonable because you don't want to be one of the last teams scrounging around in that musical chairs game. Next year acting quickly could be the correct move.

While we have a relatively educated fan base, we don't get paid 7 figures to make these judgments. If GMDM made a bad call on the market, that goes in the loss column from a performance standpoint.

HolyHat 02-04-2014 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevB (Post 10413389)
While we have a relatively educated fan base, we don't get paid 7 figures to make these judgments. If GMDM made a bad call on the market, that goes in the loss column from a performance standpoint.

It amazes me how much smarter of a fan base we have for the Royals as opposed to the Chiefs.

tomahawk kid 02-04-2014 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeezNutz (Post 10413092)
There's no financial reason why the Royals could not sign Santana. None.

Injury concern? Productivity? Valid reasons. Financial? Bunk.

Agreed, other than the owner is a greedy, penny pinching, no good SOB.

alnorth 02-04-2014 12:27 PM

Yost says this will probably be his lineup, and he doubts he'll be tinkering with it.

1. Aoki
2. Infante
3. Hosmer
4. Butler
5. Gordon
6. Perez
7. Moustakas
8. Cain
9. Escobar

So, L, R, L, R, L, R, L, R, R

tomahawk kid 02-04-2014 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alnorth (Post 10413401)
Yost says this will probably be his lineup, and he doubts he'll be tinkering with it.

1. Aoki
2. Infante
3. Hosmer
4. Butler
5. Gordon
6. Perez
7. Moustakas
8. Cain
9. Escobar

I predict that "no tinkering" BS will last until AT LEAST the 5th game of the season.

That simpleton just can't help himself.

BlackHelicopters 02-04-2014 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JASONSAUTO (Post 10413268)
for sure.

im just glad we didn't get a ton of douches following shields around, although im worried some good posters might have followed getz out the door...

Hopefully the Getz wife posters remain

duncan_idaho 02-04-2014 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alnorth (Post 10413401)

1. Aoki
2. Infante
3. Hosmer
4. Butler
5. Gordon
6. Perez
7. Moustakas
8. Cain
9. Escobar

Lineup is great as long as Infante puts together a solid .330ish OBP. If he starts falling below that, you're not using an optimal lineup for run production.

I'd still go:

Aoki
Gordon
Butler
Hosmer
Perez
Infante
Moustakas
Cain
Escobar

But that's not a BIG deal.