ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Food and Drink Stop Eating Sugar (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=257995)

J Diddy 03-25-2014 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PGM (Post 10516636)
Not a fan at all of frozen chicken...gross

Might I suggest you thaw and then cook it?

It might have a drastic effect on the taste and texture.

Pasta Little Brioni 03-25-2014 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Bull (Post 10517182)
Might I suggest you thaw and then cook it?

It might have a drastic effect on the taste and texture.

Fresh is where it is at

htismaqe 03-26-2014 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Douche Baggins (Post 10517123)
It's ****ing chicken, man. Pretty close to any chicken I've ever had before. It's certainly not pink slime ala McDonalds.

You keep telling yourself that if it makes you feel better.

htismaqe 03-26-2014 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by listopencil (Post 10517139)
I wonder if anybody makes an e-syringe so I can mainline arsenic with the cool kids?

Have you tried vaping it?

Cephalic Trauma 03-26-2014 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Laz (Post 10515691)
Surgeon: Why I’ve ditched statins for good after quitting sugar and eating more animal fat
Published on March 25, 2014,

The Telegraph has a fascinating article from a vascular surgeon who takes issue with the latest recommendations that statins should be given to more people to prevent heart disease and stroke and says he feels better without them after giving up sugar and eating more animal fats…

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/...s_2860668a.jpg
Why I’ve ditched statins for good

The only major changes I’d made to my lifestyle since coming off statins were eliminating sugar (including alcohol and starchy foods such as bread) and eating more animal fat. Many experts now believe that sugar is emerging as a true villain in the heart-disease story; while after decades of demonisation, saturated fat has been acquitted of causing heart disease by a recent “meta” analysis of 70 studies by Cambridge University. Typically, I was eating red meat three or four times a week and enjoying butter, full-fat milk and plenty of eggs. You would have thought that after three months on a diet so high in saturated fat, my cholesterol would have shot back up to pre-statin levels – but no, it came down and has stayed down seven months on.

Here's my problem with this article- Statins have been shown to stabilize plaques, thus they will be less likely to rupture and cause full obstruction of a coronary vessel. Now, I'm going to give this guy credit he is due because he is a vascular surgeon, so I'm assuming he has good reasoning for this, but he is flying in the face of current recommendations. Being that MI is preceded by the rupture and subsequent inflammatory+thrombotic events that occur, statins are definitely indicated in high cholesterol for more reasons than just lowering your "bad" cholesterol.

htismaqe 03-26-2014 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cephalic Trauma (Post 10517772)
Here's my problem with this article- Statins have been shown to stabilize plaques, thus they will be less likely to rupture and cause full obstruction of a coronary vessel. Now, I'm going to give this guy credit he is due because he is a vascular surgeon, so I'm assuming he has good reasoning for this, but he is flying in the face of current recommendations. Being that MI is preceded by the rupture and subsequent inflammatory+thrombotic events that occur, statins are definitely indicated in high cholesterol for more reasons than just lowering your "bad" cholesterol.

Statins certainly CAN provide benefits above and beyond lowering bad cholesterol.

Like most other medications though, they're being used profusely instead of sparingly. They're being handed out like candy anytime someones LDL level approaches the warning zone.

Cephalic Trauma 03-26-2014 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 10517794)
Statins certainly CAN provide benefits above and beyond lowering bad cholesterol.

Like most other medications though, they're being used profusely instead of sparingly. They're being handed out like candy anytime someones LDL level approaches the warning zone.

Moderately high LDL level, but most importantly family history of acute cardiac events, etc. indicates a statin. They are being prescribed more often because of the well-known published effects on plaque stabilization in an effort to decrease the incidence of acute cardiac events and stroke.

Some prescriptions are controversial, but this one is certainly not. They drilled this into us when we learned about it.

Cephalic Trauma 03-26-2014 10:05 AM

However, in the case of just being in the warning zone, without the family history or past history of acute MI, diet modification is indicated. So you aren't wrong, here.

htismaqe 03-26-2014 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cephalic Trauma (Post 10517835)
However, in the case of just being in the warning zone, without the family history or past history of acute MI, diet modification is indicated. So you aren't wrong, here.

You're not wrong either.

The doctor's office, anymore, is literally 5 minutes.

"Hmmm...ok, I see...here, take this pill"

Cephalic Trauma 03-26-2014 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 10517843)
You're not wrong either.

The doctor's office, anymore, is literally 5 minutes.

"Hmmm...ok, I see...here, take this pill"

In the age of webmd and internet medical gurus, yes, it may seem that way.

Our understanding is this:
If you have a family history of MI or stroke, that indicates to us that you have a genetic susceptibility to form plaques. In the absence of family history, we can be much more conservative because they are the lucky ones who tend to form fatty streaks instead of plaques. So we treat in the context of family history and past MI because those are two most important risk factors.

And, I would venture to say that the pills prescribed by physicians, on the whole, do much more good than harm. It's a risk:benefit thing, and we have to consider what will benefit the patient. Given that we see the same problem frequently with slight variation, it may seem that no thought goes into our practices.

WhiteWhale 03-26-2014 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Douche Baggins (Post 10517123)
It's ****ing chicken, man. Pretty close to any chicken I've ever had before. It's certainly not pink slime ala McDonalds.

Pink Slime is in all ground chuck at your grocery store.

Hammock Parties 03-26-2014 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiteWhale (Post 10518193)
Pink Slime is in all ground chuck at your grocery store.

I don't eat ground chuck. Only high quality frozen chicken.

htismaqe 03-26-2014 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Douche Baggins (Post 10518209)
I don't eat ground chuck. Only high quality frozen chicken.

ROFL

BIG_DADDY 03-26-2014 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 10517531)
You keep telling yourself that if it makes you feel better.

It never ceases to amaze me how people cannot know how much of the food supply is contaminated. You have to source everything these days. They are going to loosen the restrictions on organic standards so the big boys can get in easier now. Every regulatory body we have that is supposed to be protecting us is selling us out when it comes to food, drugs and medical in general in this country.

Hammock Parties 03-26-2014 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BIG_DADDY (Post 10518232)
It never ceases to amaze me how people cannot know how much of the food supply is contaminated. You have to source everything these days. They are going to loosen the restrictions on organic standards so the big boys can get in easier now. Every regulatory body we have that is supposed to be protecting us is selling us out when it comes to food, drugs and medical in general in this country.

And yet, I keep eating supposed diseased and feces-ridden meat, and I'm healthy as a horse. Haven't been to a doctor in years. I NEVER get sick.

Maybe eating all that crap has strengthened my immune system.

PERHAPS I AM A GOD.

Moral of the story:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/ITcATiaIxkY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>