ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Chiefs' offense: "one of the worst in the league, by nearly every measure" (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=276680)

Pasta Little Brioni 09-26-2013 07:35 PM

The dropped picks crap is comletely reeruned.

chiefzilla1501 09-26-2013 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bearcat (Post 10023005)
Yeah, mediocrity rules in the regular season. It seems to fool a lot of people, or maybe they just really like regular season wins. You have to put up points in the playoffs, which usually means your quarterback has to step up.

Putting up a lot of points fools a lot of people too.

It doesn't explain the Jets coming really damn close to a Super Bowl two years straight. Or the 49ers being a goat performance away from an NFC conference championship. Or a Jim Caldwell offense ripped on by this board for being too conservative winning a Super Bowl. Or an extremely efficient Eli Manning offense winning his first Super Bowl.

It also doesn't explain why many of the explosive QBs have had such mixed success in the playoffs.

Putting up points isn't the only pre-req for postseason success.

DeezNutz 09-26-2013 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 10023032)
What's stupid about it? There are people insisting that a game management approach is such a terrible thing. And yet, we see teams like the 2011 49ers, two years of the fighting Mark Sanchez's, and right now an absolutely elite team in Seattle make deep playoff runs off of this model. Regardless of Wilson's ceiling, he is probably going to be a favorite to make a deep playoff run NOW off a largely game management approach.

I'm not saying it's ideal. Again, I don't know if Smith can consistently make big 4th quarter plays the way Eli and Flacco have. But the knock on this approach is a little bit silly, because there are plenty of times who have had big postseason success with it.

It's pretty ****ing easy to see the stupidity:

How many of these game managers won the ****ing SB? OK. "Oh, but the Chiefs suck shit and winning in the playoffs would be good enough."

Yeah, no ****ing shit that it's an improvement. Is that the bar now? Or our the Chiefs actually expected to build to something? Accomplish something? If the goal is to replicate the "success" of the 90s, my bad.

If Alex ****ing Smith were a second-year player right now, we'd all be ecstatic. He's not. We're not. He's ****ing mediocre.

And don't ****ing compare him to E. Manning or Flacco again. Ridiculous, even in the most tangential sense.

DeezNutz 09-26-2013 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 10023044)
It was brought up earlier in a thread, not sure which one, but that Smith has thrown passes that should have eben picked, which is true.

But I just saw a stat on Twitter that EJ Manual and Luck lead the league with 6 should be INTS apiece. Thats pretty crazy.

Holy ****ing shit. Smith is comparable to a second-year player and a n00b? Smith must be a complete sack of shit.

Sweet Daddy Hate 09-26-2013 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeezNutz (Post 10023068)
Holy ****ing shit. Smith is comparable to a second-year player and a n00b? Smith must be a complete sack of shit.

ROFL

O.city 09-26-2013 07:38 PM

Great teams win in the playoffs. Elite offenses paired with average defenses or vice versa.

You can't win with an elite offense and shit defense, or an offense that is shit and an elite defense very often. Unless you have a guy like Rodgers just get on an ungodly level, which is extremely rare.

dirk digler 09-26-2013 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HonestChieffan (Post 10022979)
The sob cant block worth a shit. He has added zero to the oline and needs to die. We need geno

ok thanks now back to DC

O.city 09-26-2013 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeezNutz (Post 10023068)

I don't know what the **** your problem is tonight, but I wasn't making a case of Smith vs those two at all. I was just posting that 6 seemed pretty high.

Excuse me.

Bearcat 09-26-2013 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 10023061)
Putting up a lot of points fools a lot of people too.

It doesn't explain the Jets coming really damn close to a Super Bowl two years straight. Or the 49ers being a goat performance away from an NFC conference championship. Or a Jim Caldwell offense ripped on by this board for being too conservative winning a Super Bowl. Or an extremely efficient Eli Manning offense winning his first Super Bowl.

It also doesn't explain why many of the explosive QBs have had such mixed success in the playoffs.

Putting up points isn't the only pre-req for postseason success.

All of your examples include top 5 defenses, so that's the explanation. But, those elite defensive teams still need to put up points in the playoffs, and the easiest way to do that is with elite quarterback play.

A lot of explosive quarterbacks have mixed success in the playoffs because they're all playing each other in the playoffs every year, or they're playing top 5 defenses. If the Chiefs' efficient/game management offense can put up 35 points when it's needed, awesome, because they're going to need it as long as Peyton Manning is in the division and if they ever want to go deep into the playoffs.

DeezNutz 09-26-2013 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 10023089)
I don't know what the **** your problem is tonight, but I wasn't making a case of Smith vs those two at all. I was just posting that 6 seemed pretty high.

Excuse me.

No offense meant your way, dude.

I'm totally ****ing done with reading any excuses and/or justifications for Smith's mediocrity, and the obfuscation of this fact by some is ridiculous. At this point, just own it: Smith might not be good enough, but he's good enough for me.

Your post was simply a starting place. I'm not saying you believe any of the above, necessarily.

chiefzilla1501 09-26-2013 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeezNutz (Post 10023065)
It's pretty ****ing easy to see the stupidity:

How many of these game managers won the ****ing SB? OK. "Oh, but the Chiefs suck shit and winning in the playoffs would be good enough."

Yeah, no ****ing shit that it's an improvement. Is that the bar now? Or our the Chiefs actually expected to build to something? Accomplish something? If the goal is to replicate the "success" of the 90s, my bad.

If Alex ****ing Smith were a second-year player right now, we'd all be ecstatic. He's not. We're not. He's ****ing mediocre.

And don't ****ing compare him to E. Manning or Flacco again. Ridiculous, even in the most tangential sense.

Ben Roethlisberger and Tom Brady won their first Super Bowl as game managers. Eli Manning won his first Super Bowl as a game manager. Joe Flacco has won a ton of playoff games as a game manager and won a Super Bowl last year as a game manager.

I haven't compared Alex Smith to these guys. Again, I said the difference between these guys and Smith is they played largely game management, but made big plays in big situations. Smith hasn't proven he can do that, but he also hasn't proven he can't. Why couldn't he be a guy that has a knack for uninspiring play but comes up big in big games? If not for a complete goat performance by Kyle Williams, the 49ers could very well have been on their way to a 2011 Super Bowl. Mark Sanchez, who played pretty much Alex Smith football his first two seasons, was extremely close to getting there too.

DeezNutz 09-26-2013 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 10023112)
Ben Roethlisberger and Tom Brady won their first Super Bowl as game managers. Eli Manning won his first Super Bowl as a game manager. Joe Flacco has won a ton of playoff games as a game manager and won a Super Bowl last year as a game manager.

I haven't compared Alex Smith to these guys. Again, I said the difference between these guys and Smith is they played largely game management, but made big plays in big situations. Smith hasn't proven he can do that, but he also hasn't proven he can't. Why couldn't he be a guy that has a knack for uninspiring play but comes up big in big games? If not for a complete goat performance by Kyle Williams, the 49ers could very well have been on their way to a 2011 Super Bowl. Mark Sanchez, who played pretty much Alex Smith football his first two seasons, was extremely close to getting there too.

And how old were these players in paragraph one when they accomplished said things? OK. (And Flacco won as a "game manager." lol.)

I don't want to hear it. That's standing in the basement, talking about Smith's ceiling, claiming that it's good enough.

I ****ing hate the acquisition of Alex Smith and everything that it represents for the price that the Chiefs paid.

Hammock Parties 09-26-2013 07:48 PM

Sorry but the intellectual dishonesty with Eli and Flacco's Super Bowls is embarrassing.

These guys were doing things that Alex flat out does not do during their SB runs.

O.city 09-26-2013 07:48 PM

I'm not really sure what the age of said players has to do with it. Zilla isn't saying anything about Smith being or having the same ceiling as said guys.

chiefzilla1501 09-26-2013 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeezNutz (Post 10023109)
No offense meant your way, dude.

I'm totally ****ing done with reading any excuses and/or justifications for Smith's mediocrity, and the obfuscation of this fact by some is ridiculous. At this point, just own it: Smith might not be good enough, but he's good enough for me.

Your post was simply a starting place. I'm not saying you believe any of the above, necessarily.

I am not a fan of Alex Smith by any stretch. I am just saying the idea that a game managed team can't make a serious run at a Super Bowl is completely crazy talk. Or that they are any less of a contender than an explosive team like New Orleans or Green Bay, that are so explosive that they can't play defense, is crazy talk.