ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   MU ****Official Mizzou Head Basketball Coach Search**** (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=283091)

KCUnited 04-29-2014 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nychief (Post 10593017)
I don't disagree... but can someone explain to me...how does recruiting work?

You hire your coach before the 4/25-4/27 AAU evaluation period weekend to start.

confused 04-29-2014 02:54 PM

I don't think the question is whether he can coach at the DI level, basketball is basketball. I suspect based on his success at DII that he is at least as good if not better an Xs and Os coach as 50% of major college coaches in the country.

BigCatDaddy 04-29-2014 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by confused (Post 10593024)
I think people are severely underestimating the significance of division II basketball. It isn't intramurals.

Let me guess. Uncle Kim?

duncan_idaho 04-29-2014 02:58 PM

Quote:

High D1 recruiting is a tough game. To get the best kids and compete for the best kids you need:

A tireless, charismatic recruiting staff. They work hard, impress kids and parents, and close like Eff You, That's What My Name Is! In Glengarry Glen Ross.

A good school tradition with quality facilities.

The ability to sell next-level development.

A track record of success. Wins at that level.

An ability to relate to modern, high-level players.

Kim Anderson is a question mark in just about all of these areas, except for the school/tradition/facilities part of it.

DMAC 04-29-2014 02:59 PM

Quote:

College basketball is a lot like propane...

Pepe Silvia 04-29-2014 03:04 PM

Kim better get some hookers ready.

duncan_idaho 04-29-2014 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by confused (Post 10593024)
I think people are severely underestimating the significance of division II basketball. It isn't intramurals.

There are 300+ Division I basketball teams. By comparison, in football there are 120. There is a bigger gulf between D1 hoops and D2 hoops than in football between FBS and FCS.

All the teams have fewer players, but it magnifies the talent difference between the studs on the D1 teams.

For example: Daylen Robinson was a stud for CMSU this year, but averaged about 3 points on less than 30 percent shooting from the field for Texas Tech... which was one of the WORST D1 teams when he was there.

Quote:

Originally Posted by confused (Post 10593040)
I don't think the question is whether he can coach at the DI level, basketball is basketball. I suspect based on his success at DII that he is at least as good if not better an Xs and Os coach as 50% of major college coaches in the country.

I have no doubt about Anderson's Xs and Os ability or coaching ability in general. I think that's a plus.

I have a great many doubts about his ability to acquire high D1 talent, enough to make Missouri a top 30 program.

If they were surrounding him wth a staff full of proven recruiters who could do that, I'd be all for it. Instead, it looks like his staff is going to be his two D2 assistants and Corey Tate, who also - guess what - has never coached at the D1 level.

Awful lot of question marks there. Awful lot of risk.

DMAC 04-29-2014 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 10593062)
There are 300+ Division I basketball teams. By comparison, in football there are 120. There is a bigger gulf between D1 hoops and D2 hoops than in football between FBS and FCS.

All the teams have fewer players, but it magnifies the talent difference between the studs on the D1 teams.

For example: Daylen Robinson was a stud for CMSU this year, but averaged about 3 points on less than 30 percent shooting from the field for Texas Tech... which was one of the WORST D1 teams when he was there.

I have no doubt about Anderson's Xs and Os ability or coaching ability in general. I think that's a plus.

I have a great many doubts about his ability to acquire high D1 talent, enough to make Missouri a top 30 program.

If they were surrounding him wth a staff full of proven recruiters who could do that, I'd be all for it. Instead, it looks like his staff is going to be his two D2 assistants and Corey Tate, who also - guess what - has never coached at the D1 level.

Awful lot of question marks there. Awful lot of risk.

They don't have any interest in getting the top level talent. They are building the right 53. This is Missouri.

nychief 04-29-2014 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 10593047)
High D1 recruiting is a tough game. To get the best kids and compete for the best kids you need:

A tireless, charismatic recruiting staff. They work hard, impress kids and parents, and close like Eff You, That's What My Name Is! In Glengarry Glen Ross.

A good school tradition with quality facilities.

The ability to sell next-level development.

A track record of success. Wins at that level.

An ability to relate to modern, high-level players.

Kim Anderson is a question mark in just about all of these areas, except for the school/tradition/facilities part of it.

I don't know how many of these Haith or Anderson checked, other than they were D1 coaches before.... but I get your point.

I think this is going to be a case of securing the state and coaching up 2 star recruits with a smattering of 3 stars from time to time.... but who knows.

'Hamas' Jenkins 04-29-2014 03:14 PM

Mike Anderson recruited Rodney Purvis to Arkansas, and Haith was able to secure high end recruits (underperformance or not) like J3, Clark, Wright, and Gant.

We will be lucky to ever get a 4* recruit with this clown staff in place. Before long, Missouri hoops will look like Alabama sans Travis Releford.

DMAC 04-29-2014 03:24 PM

If this gets the football team a National Championship...I'm 100% all for it!

duncan_idaho 04-29-2014 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nychief (Post 10593069)
I don't know how many of these Haith or Anderson checked, other than they were D1 coaches before.... but I get your point.

I think this is going to be a case of securing the state and coaching up 2 star recruits with a smattering of 3 stars from time to time.... but who knows.

If that's the case, Anderson better be Bo Ryan. Otherwise, they're going to look at lot like South Carolina the past two years.

duncan_idaho 04-29-2014 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 10593074)
Mike Anderson recruited Rodney Purvis to Arkansas, and Haith was able to secure high end recruits (underperformance or not) like J3, Clark, Wright, and Gant.

We will be lucky to ever get a 4* recruit with this clown staff in place. Before long, Missouri hoops will look like Alabama sans Travis Releford.

Rodney Purvis?

You mean Bobby Portis?

Rodney Purvis is the McDonald's All American Fuller likely would have landed at Mizzou had the Miami shit not flared up.

'Hamas' Jenkins 04-29-2014 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 10593108)
Rodney Purvis?

You mean Bobby Portis?

Rodney Purvis is the McDonald's All American Fuller likely would have landed at Mizzou had the Miami shit not flared up.

Yes. Thank you.

DeezNutz 04-29-2014 03:30 PM

Aside from sucking in the short-term, this is the type of disastrous hire that makes the overall job far less appealing when the university is looking to fill it again in three years. The program is mediocre now, and I expect it to be bottomed out then.