ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Mad Men (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=231096)

Baby Lee 05-14-2015 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BucEyedPea (Post 11500647)
I never ever saw anyone working with a drink in their hand on the job including in NY. Drinking was afterwards or when a client came for certain personnel. I remember the Ocean Spray exec had to be taken out and gotten him drunk on purpose because we were behind the deadline. On the other hand there's much accuracy in the series on the ad business side. Such as the account is usually lost after a Clio award is won etc. I was nearly floored when they mentioned Ogilvy never submitted for awards for this reason. I learned that from Ogilvy's book on advertising. And the scene of Young and Rubicon dropping water balloons on black protestors was a true event.

When Brock said 'monster drink' I'm pretty sure he was referring to

http://a.dilcdn.com/bl/wp-content/up...3187XSmall.jpg

Not a huge tumbler of Rye, neat.

DaneMcCloud 05-14-2015 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 11500630)
That's what it reminded me of. I can remember thinking that for all the crap millennials catch, these were some of the smartest and most optimistic people I had been around in a long time. Made me feel pretty good seeing such industry among the young, even if it was just to sell more Blizzards.

My wife works at one of the world's largest ad agencies. It's Disneyland for adults. They have a full bar area with at least 30 flat screens. Any time there's a serious sporting event like the World Cup, World Series, NCAA tourney, etc., they bring in food and it's filled with people working on their laptops.

One of my wife's clients last year was Amazon and she was given several Kindle HD's. For Cinco De Mayo, they bring in food and offer Mexican beer all day long. It's like an endless stream of swag.

To me, it's insane. It's like "This is where you work?".

BucEyedPea 05-14-2015 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 11500654)
When Brock said 'monster drink' I'm pretty sure he was referring to

http://a.dilcdn.com/bl/wp-content/up...3187XSmall.jpg

Not a huge tumbler of Rye, neat.

Oh. I forgot about those. Folks I am with at trade shows drink those.

Hammock Parties 05-15-2015 12:50 AM

Bert's song :deevee:

Hammock Parties 05-15-2015 12:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 11436232)

As for Hamm, I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. I just haven't seen any range from him. It's just a variation of John Hamm, even in his comedic bits.

I don't know why Hamm can't be as successful as Harrison Ford.

Other than Regarding Henry...not a lot of range.

Maybe times have changed.

Hammock Parties 05-15-2015 12:58 AM

By the way, I have to say that season 7 is really amazing. Don't think I've seen much else on TV this good. Probably never happen but I'd love for Weiner to write a Star Wars film. :evil:

DaneMcCloud 05-15-2015 01:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stop, Chiefs (Post 11500832)
I don't know why Hamm can't be as successful as Harrison Ford.

Other than Regarding Henry...not a lot of range.

Maybe times have changed.

This is my perspective, only. I'm not trying to impose my will or say that I know more than anyone else:

I haven't found Jon Hamm to be convincing as anyone else other than as Don Draper.

In every other role, IMO, he's been the same. Now sure, he's getting different direction, a different character, etc. But for me, I still see Jon Hamm.

Also, I don't see the movie star charisma. Matt McConaghey has a charm and it's easy to see throughout his career, how he's grown. Same for guys like Damon or Affleck or even Ruffalo. He's no where near an RDJ. There are times when Clooney can't escape himself but then he'll be brilliant in a film like The Descendants.

I'd be more than happy to be wrong but I'm just not seeing it.

BucEyedPea 05-15-2015 08:10 AM

I haven't seen Hamm in anything but this series.

Hammock Parties 05-15-2015 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BucEyedPea (Post 11500982)

Well, shooting a TV show is demanding. Patrick Stewart wasn't in shit during his 7 year TNG run.

DaneMcCloud 05-15-2015 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stop, Chiefs (Post 11501015)
Well, shooting a TV show is demanding. Patrick Stewart wasn't in shit during his 7 year TNG run.

It's not that demanding, especially since it's only 13 episode seasons. Matt said, there is a huge difference between 13 and 24 in terms of commitment.

Hamm's guest starred in other TV shows and he's been a supporting actor here and there. He also starred in a Disney movie.

Red Brooklyn 05-15-2015 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 11500660)
My wife works at one of the world's largest ad agencies. It's Disneyland for adults. They have a full bar area with at least 30 flat screens. Any time there's a serious sporting event like the World Cup, World Series, NCAA tourney, etc., they bring in food and it's filled with people working on their laptops.

One of my wife's clients last year was Amazon and she was given several Kindle HD's. For Cinco De Mayo, they bring in food and offer Mexican beer all day long. It's like an endless stream of swag.

To me, it's insane. It's like "This is where you work?".

A couple of years ago I worked as part of an events team for a pretty massive corporation here in NYC. I only worked 5 days in their headquarter building. But it was exactly the same as you described, Dane -- just not an ad firm. It was nuts. I've never seen anything like it.

Hammock Parties 05-17-2015 02:00 AM

7 seasons and Don never boffed Joan. Son, I am disappoint.

Hammock Parties 05-17-2015 10:56 AM

OK, proud to announce that I have ripped through season 7 and ready for tonight's finale.

I think I binge watched that entire show faster than anything I've ever seen.

Bowser 05-17-2015 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BucEyedPea (Post 11500982)

He was in Ben Affleck's movie The Town. Great flick.

Hammock Parties 05-17-2015 12:00 PM

Did anyone else think Don testing the window in his new office (ep11 or 12 can't remember) was a nod to the opening credits? Or maybe even foreshadowing... :hmmm:

Like, I don't think he will commit suicide. But maybe some prick at McCann will throw him out the window.