ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life *.* 2014 General Fitness Thread *.* (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=280149)

luv 04-01-2014 07:17 AM

My trainer once told me that he likes to train to build dense muscle. He said that he's not as big as some of the guys at the gym, but that he can lift more. He preferred it that way. I don't really like the whole "swole" look. Give me someone who looks more defined, cut, whatever the word may be over someone I always call "puffy".

Back is feeling better and better. Still doing lots of stretching. Especially my hammies. I just can't seem to loosen them up for long (of course, I have the most sedentary job possible). I think I'm gonna go up to a used sporting goods store during my lunch hour to see if I can find a foam roller.

Aspengc8 04-01-2014 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saccopoo (Post 10531636)
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/m8wZNGL4iA4?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I watched this today with a buddy who recently placed second in an NPC event and I'm down with Kai's concepts.

I've always tried to maintain strict form, but tonight at the gym I really focused on the movement versus the weight. Jesus H. Christ...my arms are still throbbing four hours after the workout.

To tell you the truth, I'm just kinda of playing around a bit with my workouts right now to see where I want to go in terms of diet and workout and how they are going to interact. Also wanted to see if I could get serious about it as a vegan, which I want to maintain at this point.

I'm still not sold on tracking the specificities of the weight itself versus the resistance and fatigue I'm achieving on an exercise as it's happening.

Anyone's concepts will work when your on as much gear as those dudes. Good luck getting up to 240 in 6 months. I've been working on getting to 250 for about a year now. Started at around 210 and just weighted in at 236.5. Although its been slow since im trying to do this while staying relatively lean so i dont have to cut down much, if any at all.

Dunit35 04-01-2014 10:25 AM

I'm thinking on throwing in squats. The squat rack is always empty at the YMCA.

penguinz 04-01-2014 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dunit35 (Post 10532113)

Thinking? This is one of if not the most important lifts you can do.

BigCatDaddy 04-01-2014 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dunit35 (Post 10532113)

Use it for curls.

Bowser 04-01-2014 10:44 AM

A guy many years ago convinced me to abandon free weight squats. He was an amateur bodybuilder that compacted one of the discs in his back from heavy squats. After he recovered, he swore they were horrible for your back, even with proper form. He claimed the combo of hack squats, incline leg press and extensions would give you as much benefit as squats. I've held on to his warnings for years, of course I never tried to squat as much weight as he did when he injured himself.

luv 04-01-2014 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 10532163)
A guy many years ago convinced me to abandon free weight squats. He was an amateur bodybuilder that compacted one of the discs in his back from heavy squats. After he recovered, he swore they were horrible for your back, even with proper form. He claimed the combo of hack squats, incline leg press and extensions would give you as much benefit as squats. I've held on to his warnings for years, of course I never tried to squat as much weight as he did when he injured himself.

With that mentality, I'd be afraid of any lifting. There's always "risk" for injury. I could be doing a bicep curl and pull something in my arm. As a woman, I want a beautiful backside. Squats will help me with that. :)

luv 04-01-2014 10:48 AM

Wouldn't dead lifts be slightly more risky for your back than squats?

Bowser 04-01-2014 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luv (Post 10532174)
Wouldn't dead lifts be slightly more risky for your back than squats?

Probably. Basically the guy was squatting WAY too much weight and it scared him off permanently from free weight squats. Possibly ****ed me up with my routine, especially when I didn't skip leg day. :D

jiveturkey 04-01-2014 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCatDaddy (Post 10532129)
Use it for curls.

I ****ing hate it when some asshole uses the squat and/or power racks for something stupid like that. There's always some a-hole using it for pull ups when there's 20 other options for pull ups.

The Franchise 04-01-2014 11:37 AM

So I'm doing a circuit workout at home which consists of the following exercises.

Squat
Bench Press
Bent-over Rows
Overhead Barbell Press
Deadlift
Barbell Curl
Standing Calf Raise
Decline Sit-ups

Is there anything that I should add in? Anything that you see that isn't necessary?

Aspengc8 04-01-2014 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 10532163)

Nothing will give you the benefit of squatting other than squatting. Yes, you can build big legs with hacks, leg press, extensions and lunges. However squatting strengthens your whole body, not just your legs. Same can be said about deadlifts. He definitely either had shitty form and hurt himself, or jumped weight too fast.

Bowser 04-01-2014 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aspengc8 (Post 10532346)
Nothing will give you the benefit of squatting other than squatting. Yes, you can build big legs with hacks, leg press, extensions and lunges. However squatting strengthens your whole body, not just your legs. Same can be said about deadlifts. He definitely either had shitty form and hurt himself, or jumped weight too fast.

He probably did both, honestly. IIRC, he said he had ~900lbs on the bar. No wonder his disc ended up compressed, ffs.

Aspengc8 04-01-2014 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 10532296)
So I'm doing a circuit workout at home which consists of the following exercises.

Squat
Bench Press
Bent-over Rows
Overhead Barbell Press
Deadlift
Barbell Curl
Standing Calf Raise
Decline Sit-ups

Is there anything that I should add in? Anything that you see that isn't necessary?

Depends on your goals. I think all of those movements are 'necessary', if a complete physique is your goal, but there is also room on the table to add a bunch more good movements depending on what your trying to accomplish. Are you just doing circuits as a means to lean out?

The Franchise 04-01-2014 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aspengc8 (Post 10532355)
Depends on your goals. I think all of those movements are 'necessary', if a complete physique is your goal, but there is also room on the table to add a bunch more good movements depending on what your trying to accomplish. Are you just doing circuits as a means to lean out?

Yeah....it's been a while since I've done any kind of a lifting routine. I'm trying to start out with lower weights so I can get proper form. And I'm going circuit so that I can up the fat burning without having to do a shit ton of cardio.