ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Food and Drink Stop Eating Sugar (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=257995)

Mennonite 11-06-2015 08:29 AM

I gave up on eating healthy a long time ago. Still, I'm surprised when I read that a Dr Pepper has nearly 40 grams of sugar in a 12 ounce can, or that the croutons I'm snacking on contain high fructose corn syrup. No wonder people are "addicted" to the stuff - it's added to almost everything.

RunKC 11-06-2015 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spott (Post 11866420)
I gave up processed sugar on January 3rd and lost 20 pounds the first 2 months, which was about 12% of my body weight. I lost another 8 in March and my weight has stayed the same since. The hardest part was not putting sugar in my coffee and giving up sweet tea. Sweet tea and soda taste awful to me now.

WTG! You sir are a far stronger man than I.

Do you just put no sugar or sweetener in your coffee and drink it plain? What does your diet consist of now?

Spott 11-06-2015 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 11866423)
WTG! You sir are a far stronger man than I.

Do you just put no sugar or sweetener in your coffee and drink it plain? What does your diet consist of now?

I either use Agave or local honey in my coffee, now. I just use regular half and half instead of the sweetened creamers. When I first quit I ate a lot of bananas, apples and other fruit to get me past the addiction that I didn't know that I had.

My diet consists of a lot of fruit and vegetables along with chicken, steak, etc. Besides switching over to water for drinks, my diet hasn't changed much. I don't eat out near as much as I used to, either.

notorious 11-06-2015 11:19 AM

Fat shaming needs to take over.

The rest will take care of itself.

penguinz 11-06-2015 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spott (Post 11866441)
I either use Agave or local honey in my coffee, now. I just use regular half and half instead of the sweetened creamers. When I first quit I ate a lot of bananas, apples and other fruit to get me past the addiction that I didn't know that I had.

My diet consists of a lot of fruit and vegetables along with chicken, steak, etc. Besides switching over to water for drinks, my diet hasn't changed much. I don't eat out near as much as I used to, either.

Stick to the honey. Agave is not a good substitute.

Spott 11-06-2015 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by penguinz (Post 11866777)
Stick to the honey. Agave is not a good substitute.

Maybe I should do more research on it. I was under the impression that it was actually healthier than honey.

TLO 11-06-2015 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaKCMan AP (Post 11866358)
Apple & peanut butter
unsalted pretzels
Raw nuts (almonds, cashews, hazelnuts, etc.)
seasonal fruit (cherries, strawberries, raspberries/blackberries, watermelon)
carrots & celery
hard boiled egg

<object id="__symantecPKIClientMessenger" style="display: none;"></object>

You seem homosexual, err nice.

penguinz 11-06-2015 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spott (Post 11866806)
Maybe I should do more research on it. I was under the impression that it was actually healthier than honey.

Agave is as high as 85% fructose. That is higher than sugar or corn syrup. Most agave syrup/nectar you get at the store is very processed.

Much better off with the local honey.

'Hamas' Jenkins 11-06-2015 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by penguinz (Post 11866969)
Agave is as high as 85% fructose. That is higher than sugar or corn syrup. Most agave syrup/nectar you get at the store is very processed.

Much better off with the local honey.

Honey is still going to be sucrose, which is a disaccharide, half of which is fructose.

Your body needs glucose for basic metabolic functions, but fructose can be somewhat problematic because fructose bypasses the rate limiting step of glycolysis. Thus, it is broken down quicker, raises the blood sugar levels higher, which leads to more insulin release to counteract it and ultimately, more fat and glycogen storage.

Aspengc8 11-06-2015 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 11866984)
Honey is still going to be sucrose, which is a disaccharide, half of which is fructose.

Your body needs glucose for basic metabolic functions, but fructose can be somewhat problematic because fructose bypasses the rate limiting step of glycolysis. Thus, it is broken down quicker, raises the blood sugar levels higher, which leads to more insulin release to counteract it and ultimately, more fat and glycogen storage.

Pretty sure i read fructose does NOT stimulate insulin response and is processed mainly by the liver. When liver is full, you getz fat.

Pasta Little Brioni 11-06-2015 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 11866696)
Fat shaming needs to take over.

The rest will take care of itself.

But but but. Big IS beautiful!

RunKC 11-06-2015 01:51 PM

I just had honey in my coffee and it was a truly awful experience.

Just lower your sugar intake to a moderate amount around roughly 15-20 grams a day.

'Hamas' Jenkins 11-06-2015 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aspengc8 (Post 11867041)
Pretty sure i read fructose does NOT stimulate insulin response and is processed mainly by the liver. When liver is full, you getz fat.

That was a total typo by me. You're right. It leads to inuslin resistance, not release, which is why you get more fat storage. Good catch.

Aspengc8 11-06-2015 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 11867069)
That was a total typo by me. You're right. It leads to inuslin resistance, not release, which is why you get more fat storage. Good catch.

Yeah this is why HFCS is absolute sh1t. Eating fruit is fine but that processed stuff is just killing us. I read its almost impossible to over eat on fruit- you would just get so full from all the water & fiber.

penguinz 11-06-2015 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aspengc8 (Post 11867106)
Yeah this is why HFCS is absolute sh1t. Eating fruit is fine but that processed stuff is just killing us. I read its almost impossible to over eat on fruit- you would just get so full from all the water & fiber.

And Agave is even higher in Fructose yet pimped as a healthy sugar alternative.