ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Other Sports Anybody Jacked Up for the Winter Olympics games? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=131754)

Buzz 02-20-2014 10:22 PM

I thought the Russian just left her routine, she wasn't in sink with the music, it was more show with jumps and spins? Guess it worked for her if that's the case.

Dylan 02-20-2014 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Connection (Post 10444315)
It's figure skating. Can't trust the judging in any event.

Putin probably upped the ante with money and threats :D

Cheating bastards.

Dylan 02-20-2014 10:27 PM

Uh oh, the freak show coming up.

mr. tegu 02-20-2014 10:29 PM

That's crazy that they said that Korean skater is one of the richest female athletes in the world. She donated $100,000 to the tsunami relief.

mr. tegu 02-20-2014 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Connection (Post 10444239)
Ski cross is pretty much the greatest sport ever created.

Ski cross and snowboard cross are both awesome. Those seem like things they could play much more of on TV here.

The people are in direct competition with each instead of the clock and they really have to do be skilled to maintain speed while going over jumps, through turns, and avoiding/passing people. Plus it is a lot like Super Mario Kart.

Dylan 02-20-2014 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr. tegu (Post 10444334)
That's crazy that they said that Korean skater is one of the richest female athletes in the world. She donated $100,000 to the tsunami relief.

I thought I heard that...Where did she get all that money?

Taxpayers?

Since when did a small country become so rich?

It must be our money filtered down through the ranks. :D

mr. tegu 02-20-2014 10:39 PM

I guess just from winnings and sponsors?

Dylan 02-20-2014 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr. tegu (Post 10444351)
I guess just from winnings and sponsors?

good point.

Bearcat 02-21-2014 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the_spatula (Post 10443735)
Also, it should be noted:

Whoever happens to go on to the final MUST bring the gold back to North America. The North American brand of hockey is quite different from the European brand. This is about pride.

Last thing we need to see is the gold medal going to a bunch of European fancymen.

Not to debate your point on pride, but have you watched Finland or Sweden? Finland is about as North American as you can get, and Sweden isn't far behind. Finland/Russia was the best example of that. Good defense, great goaltending, and Finland in particular is pretty physical.

/quickly ducks out of thread before someone posts a score...

GloryDayz 02-21-2014 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dylan (Post 10444344)
I thought I heard that...Where did she get all that money?

Taxpayers?

Since when did a small country become so rich?

It must be our money filtered down through the ranks. :D

I heard it's through endorsements in SK companies. Evidently she's hit rock star status in SK likened only to those of the Beetles back in the day (globally).

But if you're the richest female athlete in the world, is $100K really all that much? It might mean more if they reported that it ws X% of her income or something.

GloryDayz 02-21-2014 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dylan (Post 10444328)
Uh oh, the freak show coming up.

Who? I suspect you mean the commentator... The tweener....

GloryDayz 02-21-2014 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr. tegu (Post 10444336)
Ski cross and snowboard cross are both awesome. Those seem like things they could play much more of on TV here.

The people are in direct competition with each instead of the clock and they really have to do be skilled to maintain speed while going over jumps, through turns, and avoiding/passing people. Plus it is a lot like Super Mario Kart.

I think I can appreciate anything that's head-to-head, and had limited judging. Judges are like NFL officials, too much opportunity to persuade.

|Zach| 02-21-2014 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bearcat (Post 10444581)
Not to debate your point on pride, but have you watched Finland or Sweden? Finland is about as North American as you can get, and Sweden isn't far behind. Finland/Russia was the best example of that. Good defense, great goaltending, and Finland in particular is pretty physical.

/quickly ducks out of thread before someone posts a score...

How would one describe the European style of hockey?

Bearcat 02-21-2014 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by |Zach| (Post 10444585)
How would one describe the European style of hockey?

Finesse, offensive-minded, and in some ways less team oriented... the general take on it is that since international rinks are wider than NHL rinks, you can't be as aggressive and cover the full width of the ice... going for the big hit or taking out someone along the boards puts you too far out of position.

Also, the NHL used to have a two line pass rule, where the puck couldn't cross both the blue line and center line on the same pass... international rules have never had that (as far as I know). So, in the NHL, you had to work the puck up the ice through each zone, where as international play had more breakaways and big plays. Finland used to use what they called the torpedo, always looking for the long pass out of the defensive zone in order to get behind the defense (basically why hockey and soccer have offsides).

When Russia played Finland, Russia got down a couple of goals and quite working for goals... they started looking for the big play (iced the puck 4 times at the end of the game looking for a breakaway instead of working the puck into the zone so they could pull the goalie). They tried to rely on their individual skill instead of working the puck deep and getting goals by screening the goalie and fighting for rebounds, which is the more North American way to do it.

Team USA is a great example of the NA way... despite all of their offensive talent, they're also pretty physical, many of their goals have been scored within ~3 feet of the net, and they play really well as a team. Several Olympic teams are adapting that style as they've figured out how to be more aggressive with the forecheck while not risking the middle of the ice (and of course since the top teams are mostly made up of NHL players).

|Zach| 02-21-2014 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bearcat (Post 10444604)
Finesse, offensive-minded, and in some ways less team oriented... the general take on it is that since international rinks are wider than NHL rinks, you can't be as aggressive and cover the full width of the ice... going for the big hit or taking out someone along the boards puts you too far out of position.

Also, the NHL used to have a two line pass rule, where the puck couldn't cross both the blue line and center line on the same pass... international rules have never had that (as far as I know). So, in the NHL, you had to work the puck up the ice through each zone, where as international play had more breakaways and big plays. Finland used to use what they called the torpedo, always looking for the long pass out of the defensive zone in order to get behind the defense (basically why hockey and soccer have offsides).

When Russia played Finland, Russia got down a couple of goals and quite working for goals... they started looking for the big play (iced the puck 4 times at the end of the game looking for a breakaway instead of working the puck into the zone so they could pull the goalie). They tried to rely on their individual skill instead of working the puck deep and getting goals by screening the goalie and fighting for rebounds, which is the more North American way to do it.

Team USA is a great example of the NA way... despite all of their offensive talent, they're also pretty physical, many of their goals have been scored within ~3 feet of the net, and they play really well as a team. Several Olympic teams are adapting that style as they've figured out how to be more aggressive with the forecheck while not risking the middle of the ice (and of course since the top teams are mostly made up of NHL players).

Didn't know that about the different size drinks that is interestin lots of simolilarties to another sport I shall not name pop up in this post.