ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Poop Nuclear emergency declared at quake-damaged reactor (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=242615)

'Hamas' Jenkins 03-16-2011 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alnorth (Post 7495171)
If true, this is completely rediculous, and an indictment of how Japan is handling this. I really doubt the dose is that horrible for a quick 5 minute exposure. Get the helicopter steady and do it right. If the pilot doesn't want to go, find someone (maybe an older guy) who will.

FWIW, they still pay various cleanup crews around the Chernobyl site a full day's pay for 20 minute exposures in various areas.

They used to have workers at the SRP walk down areas near the reactor and give a bolt that needed maintenance a single turn, because one individual tightening it would expose that person to too much radiation.

The fact is that the situation is completely untenable. They are hovering in a radioactive plume, and the ingestion of that material is a death sentence.

'Hamas' Jenkins 03-16-2011 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dylan (Post 7495217)
I watching Anderson Cooper on CNN:

Kind of funny that the U.S. calling Japan liars about their flawed results showed radiation levels 10-100 (?) times higher than expected; especially in light of underestimating the magnitude of the Gulf spill by our own government.

I swear, this administration have absolutely no shame.

The NRC is not filled with sycophants from the current administration in office.

alnorth 03-16-2011 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 7495221)
FWIW, they still pay various cleanup crews around the Chernobyl site a full day's pay for 20 minute exposures in various areas.

They used to have workers at the SRP walk down areas near the reactor and give a bolt that needed maintenance a single turn, because one individual tightening it would expose that person to too much radiation.

The fact is that the situation is completely untenable. They are hovering in a radioactive plume, and the ingestion of that material is a death sentence.

hogwash. They sell day passes to tourists to visit chernobyl, because that site really isn't as dangerous as people make it out to be.

A fatal dose is about 6 Sv. You aren't going to get even a tiny fraction of that by hovering for a few minutes. Even in its heyday when the damned reactor completely blew up and radioactive material was laying on the ground a few feet from you, it still usually took a few hours of exposure for you to die. This is obviously not the risk these pilots are facing, and a few minutes is, though not irrelevant, also not horrifying. If there is not a single pilot willing to do it correctly, then that is just sad

Dylan 03-16-2011 08:33 PM

France says Japan lost control, French should leave

Le Monde.FR

http://www.racinground.com/forums/im...ies/candle.gif

Titty Meat 03-16-2011 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alnorth (Post 7495251)
hogwash. They sell day passes to tourists to visit chernobyl, because that site really isn't as dangerous as people make it out to be.

A fatal dose is about 6 Sv. You aren't going to get even a tiny fraction of that by hovering for a few minutes. Even in its heyday when the damned reactor completely blew up and radioactive material was laying on the ground a few feet from you, it still usually took a few hours of exposure for you to die. This is obviously not the risk these pilots are facing, and a few minutes is, though not irrelevant, also not horrifying. If there is not a single pilot willing to do it correctly, then that is just sad

Judging by your responses here and the thread about the military won't be exposed to radiation I have no choice but to call you a flat earther.

'Hamas' Jenkins 03-16-2011 08:38 PM

Quote:

This is also why the rate of thyroid cancer went up 30 fold in Belarus in four years among children, three times the rate of birth defects in children in the Ukraine, and heart disease so common that the quadrupling of cases led to the term "Chernobyl" heart.

I'm not going to turn this into an anti-nuclear power rant, because I don't see the competent use of it as a problem, but the way you have attempted to minimalize the risk of radioactive exposure throughout this entire thread is making you look like Baghdad Bob.

You have no credibility on this issue, none. Studies funded by our own government showed demonstrable negative health effects from even brief exposures, and the amount of radiation being released there is currently 10,000 times normal background levels.

You seem to be completely unable to understand the dichotomy between an LD50 dose that will cause instant death and a dose that will cause death down the line as a result of cellular and genetic damage incurred by the exposure.

'Hamas' Jenkins 03-16-2011 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by billay (Post 7495276)
Judging by your responses here and the thread about the military won't be exposed to radiation I have no choice but to call you a flat earther.

Al North: Cherenkov Radiation, it's just a light show!!

teedubya 03-16-2011 08:39 PM

I say we send alnorth. He seems to have a handle on all of this.

Brock 03-16-2011 08:41 PM

Quote:

How much exposure to end up with a brain tumor in a couple of years? You're pretty cavalier with other people's lives.

Just Passin' By 03-16-2011 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 7495297)
How much exposure to end up with a brain tumor in a couple of years? You're pretty cavalier with other people's lives.

That's just your caveman brain talking.

'Hamas' Jenkins 03-16-2011 08:45 PM

There was a guy who used to be the head of the Pantex Plant in Amarillo, Texas, which was the plant where all of our nuclear weapons were assembled. I forget his name, but when asked what he thought about handling a material as powerful as plutonium, he said, "To me, it's no different than picking up a box of Silly Putty at the dime store."

I'm starting to wonder if that was alnorth.

mikeyis4dcats. 03-16-2011 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by teedubya (Post 7495291)
I say we send alnorth. He seems to have a handle on all of this.

alnorth to the rescue!

http://images2.fanpop.com/images/qui...59_250_220.jpg

Dylan 03-16-2011 08:45 PM

Besides Japan throwing U.S. under the bus -- It's hard to believe that we don't have unmanned planes that could be used to do this.

orange 03-16-2011 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dylan (Post 7495321)
Besides Japan throwing U.S. under the bus -- It's hard to believe that we don't have unmanned planes that could be used to do this.

Radiation is hard on microcircuitry, too.

Titty Meat 03-16-2011 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 7495316)
There was a guy who used to be the head of the Pantex Plant in Amarillo, Texas, which was the plant where all of our nuclear weapons were assembled. I forget his name, but when asked what he thought about handling a material as powerful as plutonium, he said, "To me, it's no different than picking up a box of Silly Putty at the dime store."

I'm starting to wonder if that was alnorth.

You know it's not very conservative for conservatives to talk about the whole eco system but between this nuke disaster and the oil spill from last year things have to be really ****ed. Nobody wants to acknowledge this though.