ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Royals 2012 Kansas City Royals Repository Thread (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=254372)

Prison Bitch 12-10-2012 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strongside (Post 9196192)
This fanbase kills me. We beg for these things, and then they happen and we're pissed.

We weren't begging for this trade. What's your point again?

Ceej 12-10-2012 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 9196539)
Interesting note -

Jayson Stark said Myers is the only player in MLB to have won Minor League Player of the Year, but never played for the big league club he was with.

If by interesting you mean depressing I agree.

Reaper16 12-10-2012 12:26 PM

In lieu of typing out a redundant screed, I'll just say that I'm also of the mind that the 2013 Royals have to win the division once in the next two years or DM must be fired. He ought to be fired if they don't earn a playoff spot in each of the next two years, probably.

SAUTO 12-10-2012 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevenidol (Post 9196557)
Listen to Kevin Keitzman or visit any Royals story on KC Star's site and read fan posts.

oh you are going off what a bunch of mentally ill people think...gotcha

Prison Bitch 12-10-2012 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Meck (Post 9196454)
I think you guys are nuts. Look, we got 2 proven Major league pitchers, one a bona fide staff ace. We gave up two minor league prospects that may or may not pan out at the ML level.

The Royals are literally a competitive ballclub RIGHT NOW. THIS MINUTE.

How so? We won 72 games last year. Shields had a 2.2 WAR. That implies we are now what, 75 wins? Davis was a 1.0 WAR player. So now 76 wins. That's not even close to competitive. We are worse than Detroit at almost every position on the 25-man roster.

alnorth 12-10-2012 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeezNutz (Post 9196469)
This is complete bullshit. I'm not giving the Royals a participation ribbon in '13.

The trade was made to win now, and that's what I expect: winning a division now. Not getting to .500. Not getting close to Detroit. I expect to win something tangible and meaningful, and the barometer of this is a divisional championship.

There will be plenty of others who will go out of their way to defend and excuse our moronic GM.

You are going on record as saying winning 87 games and losing to Detroit by a single game would be enough to fire DM, but winning 89 games and the division by a single game is not.

Got it. You are friggin' nuts.

stevenidol 12-10-2012 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alnorth (Post 9196610)
You are going on record as saying winning 87 games and losing to Detroit by a single game would be enough to fire DM, but winning 89 games and the division by a single game is not.

Got it. You are friggin' nutz.

Gotta have the Z buddy.

Prison Bitch 12-10-2012 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevenidol (Post 9196576)
Well thought out. :clap:

Thanks. I like posts that act like they're an expert on Myers' "flaws" when he just won MiLB player of the year, and has a near uniform acceptance among scouts that he'll be a major league regular. Your "holes in his swing" nonsense is laughable given that he didn't even strike out much his first couple years in the minors anyway.

Mr. Laz 12-10-2012 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 9196608)
In lieu of typing out a redundant screed, I'll just say that I'm also of the mind that the 2013 Royals have to win the division once in the next two years or DM must be fired. He ought to be fired if they don't earn a playoff spot in each of the next two years, probably.

Don't you have to win the division to get a playoff spot?

Wildcard is not usually coming from Central

Aren't the wildcard records usually better than the winner of the Central?

DeezNutz 12-10-2012 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alnorth (Post 9196610)
Got it. You are friggin' nuts.

By this logic, you'll make sure that DM's stay clean.

"At least we were close! Fun season!"

stevenidol 12-10-2012 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 9196617)
Thanks. I like posts that act like they're an expert on Myers' "flaws" when he just won MiLB player of the year, and has a near uniform acceptance among scouts that he'll be a major league regular. Your "holes in his swing" nonsense is laughable given that he didn't even strike out much his first couple years in the minors anyway.

I didn't act like an expert, it's just an opinion. Arguments for or against the trade are all valid, because no one knows the future. It's ok to disagree, the world won't end.

Myers had 522 ABs and 140 Ks last year between AA/AAA, that is significant. If you want to look past that or act like it doesn't matter, that is ok, however I think it means something.

mr. tegu 12-10-2012 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laz (Post 9196621)
Don't you have to win the division to get a playoff spot?

Wildcard is not usually coming from Central

Aren't the wildcard records usually better than the winner of the Central?

Usually, but the Rays seem slightly worse than last year and the Orioles will regress this season. The Yankees and Red Sox are not as dominant as years past. The AL West will probably be pretty tough though, but they tend to beat up on each other a lot.

stevenidol 12-10-2012 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr. tegu (Post 9196644)
Usually, but the Rays seem slightly worse than last year and the Orioles will regress this season. The Yankees and Red Sox are not as dominant as years past. The AL West will probably be pretty tough though, but they tend to beat up on each other a lot.

The AL West has the Astros to beat on now though.

Prison Bitch 12-10-2012 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevenidol (Post 9196638)
I didn't act like an expert, it's just an opinion. Arguments for or against the trade are all valid, because no one knows the future. It's ok to disagree, the world won't end.

Myers had 522 ABs and 140 Ks last year between AA/AAA, that is significant. If you want to look past that or act like it doesn't matter, that is ok, however I think it means something.

He did K a lot but he also cracked 37 HR and hit over .300. So...that comes with the territory. He K 20% of the time which is about the same as Alex Gordon's 19% rate his only year in the minors (.290-29-100 for Wichita when he too won MiLB player of the year)

Gordon Ks a lot in the bigs and I'm sure Myers would too. So what? Gordon was about the 9th most valuable player in the entire AL this year overall.

Great Expectations 12-10-2012 12:49 PM

I don't think I'm doing this right, or WAR for pitchers is useless. It looks like Hochevar had a 1.5 WAR last year. http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx...943&position=P

And Shields has a 4.3 WAR. Hochevar was 8-16 in 32 starts last year; I think it is reasonable to think that Shields will be better than 11-13 with the Royals if he makes 32 starts and that the Royals will have a better chance to win in the 8 no decision starts that he makes.