ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs LJ Could be a 2000 yd back this year (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=188363)

DaKCMan AP 08-04-2008 06:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCJohnny (Post 4889308)
I think he could easily get 2200 total yards from scrimmage.

Possible, but unlikely. Still, 2200 total yards from scrimmage is different than 2K on the ground.

KCJohnny 08-04-2008 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SBK (Post 4889312)
If he stays healthy he'll go over 1k for sure. I just don't think he'll be healthy all year, that's all.

I hope I'm dead wrong, dude used to be a stud, I hope he can return to that.

Depends on nature. If he's the Eddie George type RB, he's just about done. If he's the Curtis Martin/Marshall Faulk/Tiki Barber type, his best years are ahead of him. Apparently Carl, the Chiefs FO and Mr. Hunt think LJ's the latter. You got guys like Fred Taylor who have overcome injuries and are running like rookies. A lot just depends on nature and fate. Besides that one season with the 418 carries, LJ's miles are pretty reasonable for his age. Heck, Marcus Allen was still effective at 36. I think John Riggins was running LBs over into his mid-30s - not exactly a finesse back.

Maybe I'm just spoiled by my LJ stats on Madden 2008...:D

Rausch 08-04-2008 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SBK (Post 4889299)
I'll be surprised if he stays healthy, and I'll be surprised if our o-line is any good.

Remind me how many injuries LJ's had.

Oh, and then remind me how he's not actually a fresh HB for his age because running for Priest's nacho's tired him out his first two years...

Pasta Little Brioni 08-04-2008 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 4889452)

Oh, and then remind me how he's not actually a fresh HB for his age because running for Priest's nacho's tired him out his first two years...

Yep, LJ's injury last year was a "fluke". It had nothing to do with the amount of carries he had the year before. It wasn't a wear and tear injury it was just bad luck. I think he comes back very strong this year and the only thing that would hold him back is a suspect line.

J Diddy 08-04-2008 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 4889452)

that's alot of nachos

alot of wear and tear on the old knees

Rausch 08-04-2008 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PGM (Post 4889560)
Yep, LJ's injury last year was a "fluke". It had nothing to do with the amount of carries he had the year before. It wasn't a wear and tear injury it was just bad luck. I think he comes back very strong this year and the only thing that would hold him back is a suspect line.

Oh, but that workload he carried for them Knitting Lions might have ruined him before his days in KC.

Oh, he didn't even start until when?

Yeah, but when you spead out his carries over the length of his career he...wait...that only averages to around a very paltry 220+ carries a season?

Golly. Almost makes him sound like a fresh-legged young man...:)

Mecca 08-04-2008 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCJohnny (Post 4889301)
Just to refresh everyone's memory...

This is the same Larry Johnson that gained 1,750 rushing yards in 2005 in NINE starts. I know that team was a threat to score on every possession, but it does show what LJ can do with a great supporting cast. And while the preliminary analysis is doubtful that the '08 Chiefs will be as explosive as the '05 Chiefs, the fact is we just don't know.

This offense will have three guys who are legitimate threats on every touch: LJ, Gonzo and D-Bowe. Of course 2,000 yards is an extravagant figure, but if the defenses are ineffective in stopping Larry, he'll make them pay.

Let's be honest, part of why LJ's #s fell off was R2P2. Its gone. Yes, the OL was in tatters. Yes, we had moonlighters playing FB. Yes, the O had grown long in the tooth and a step slower. But the main culprit was that 65,000 people week in and week out new Johnson was getting the rock, on which downs, and plugged 8-9 men up front to meet him. My money is on Gailey to solve that probelm.

Besides, Larry can get nearly 1,000 against the AFCW alone! LOL!

I hate this rationale, he had as many carries as guys who started 16, when he has as many carries you can't trump up that 9 starts thing.

Also he's alot more Eddie George than he is Curtis Martin.

Skip Towne 08-04-2008 02:56 PM

He'd need 400 carries to do it. And I highly doubt he can average 5 ypc with this O line. Very unlikely.

kcfanXIII 08-04-2008 03:15 PM

just another hopelessly optimistic thread from KCJ. dude, your just building yourself up for a let down. now go live your fantasy of a chiefs super bowl victory on madden.

Bowser 08-04-2008 03:20 PM

I guess it could have been possible for LJ to pull a 2K yard season if we had only traded a first and a third to get a playmaker like Derek Anderson in the backfield with him.....

:titus:

ilovemichaelsettle 08-04-2008 11:09 PM

well i look forward to see him get out on the field and actually playing like he used to. last year he pranced around like a little fairy, there is nothing that i hated more then seeing that during the games, and one of the most mind warping things was to see him get injured, but to see his replacement come in and do a good job

KCJohnny 08-05-2008 04:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilovemichaelsettle (Post 4891598)
well i look forward to see him get out on the field and actually playing like he used to. last year he pranced around like a little fairy, there is nothing that i hated more then seeing that during the games, and one of the most mind warping things was to see him get injured, but to see his replacement come in and do a good job

I contend that a lot of that was (a) the playbook and (b) the play-calling. Solari was promoted from within because he knew the AS system. Then the play book was edited down significantly. Then, the play-calling grew so predictable that it made Paul Hackett look like Don Coryell. And yes, injuries to the OL got LJ dropped in the backfield a lot. But I think 60% of the problem was defenses crowding the LOS and stacking the A and B gaps (between the tackles where LJ was forced to go because of the play-calling). If you look back at his performance in 2005, there were a lot of Student Body Left power sweeps and off-tackle runs that got LJ past the LOS and into space.

I think Gailey wants to use this strategy (defenses crowding the box) to go over the top with play action - especially when we now have a WR who will win 90% of jump balls.

Having 2 FBs converted from other positions did not begin to replace all-world FB Tony Richardson, either. I think there are something like 5 FBs in camp right now, so Gailey sees the FB and blocking TE positions (Cottam) as key in run game.

kcxiv 08-05-2008 04:22 AM

I will be happy with 1500 and alot less carries and the other backs scoop up the other 2000 yards, but if he goes on in a few games like we all know he can, why not try for 2k. I really dont want him to get many carries.

I don't think his body is beaten up hardly at all. He hasnt played much football throughout his career.

KCJohnny 09-30-2008 07:04 AM

LJ leads AFC in rushing and is on a pace to gain 1700 yards again. I posted this on August 3rd.

Kylo Ren 09-30-2008 07:10 AM

Print 'em!