ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Nebraska Bubba Starling watch (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=245552)

DJ's left nut 06-06-2011 08:50 PM

Great pick for the Royals, I'm glad you got him instead of the Cubs (though the Cubs went and took the guy I was hoping would fall to STL in Baez).

We drafted a 5'9'' guy that's projected to hit about .300 w/ no speed and marginal power. So huzzah, we took Ryan Theriot with our first round pick. Ack.

alanm 06-06-2011 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by black angus (Post 7681809)
Iirc shortly before he signed his letter of intent to Nebraska Bubba was projected
to be the first high schooler in the nation to be drafted. Turns out he was No.2.
Very few non-husker fans ever thought he'd end up in Lincoln.

Even fewer Husker fans thought he'd end up in Lincoln.
I suppose the only way he ends up in Lincoln is if his Mom has absolute veto power over Bubba signing with the Royals this year. ;)

duncan_idaho 06-06-2011 08:56 PM

Starling's draft stock was late first/supplemental round until he had a standout campaign on the U-18 national team last summer, where his defense and bat both impressed. That's also when he became a sure-fire position player rather than a P.

As soon as he jumped into the top 10 range, his college commitment became nothing more than leverage for baseball.

Last April, I was hoping the Royals could take him as a second-round pick and and sign him by offering $2 million. Oh well.

Titty Meat 06-06-2011 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alanm (Post 7681830)
Even fewer Husker fans thought he'd end up in Lincoln.
I suppose the only way he ends up in Lincoln is if his Mom has absolute veto power over Bubba signing with the Royals this year. ;)

How stupid would that be? I don't even know where he'd play maybe WR but he wouldn't make much of an impact his first year.

BTW the last Husker commit to turn them down for MLB: Carl Crawford.

Lex Luthor 06-06-2011 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bo's Pelini (Post 7681774)
Indeed. Though I remember in the winter of 10' people said he was likely going to get drafted in the first 3 rounds. I remember Notre Dame was in the lead and then he committed to Nebraska once Notre Dame fired their baseball coach. It's all history now though I wouldn't put it past the Royals to **** it up someway.

It was nice of Nebraska to fire their baseball coach last week. It sounds to me like Nebraska is the one ****ing it up.

LiveSteam 06-06-2011 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brainiac (Post 7681893)
It was nice of Nebraska to fire their baseball coach last week. It sounds to me like Nebraska is the one ****ing it up.

Best move since the firing of Billy C & Steve Pederson
Mike Anderson was a nice guy, but had NO! PING in his game. & its all about PING in college baseball.

Lex Luthor 06-06-2011 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LiveSteam (Post 7681904)
Best move since the firing of Billy C & Steve Pederson
Mike Anderson was a nice guy, but had NO! PING in his game. & its all about PING in college baseball.

Maybe so, but it has to affect Bubba's decision (even though he has already said it won't).

BWillie 06-06-2011 10:08 PM

Can this kid play basketball? Why couldn't he play D1 basketball? Maybe not Big 10/12 level but is he good enough to play somewhere, if he wanted to.

Three7s 06-06-2011 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 7681822)
Great pick for the Royals, I'm glad you got him instead of the Cubs (though the Cubs went and took the guy I was hoping would fall to STL in Baez).

We drafted a 5'9'' guy that's projected to hit about .300 w/ no speed and marginal power. So huzzah, we took Ryan Theriot with our first round pick. Ack.

I thought you described Billy Butler just then!

Saul Good 06-06-2011 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bo's Pelini (Post 7681637)
Yea i'm sure a Pitt State grad can tell us all about that one.

Just because he isn't smart enough to be a disk jockey doesn't mean that he doesn't understand the difference between $0 and $5,000,000. Its not rocket science like pushing play or setting up direct deposit.

Jonathan Mayo 06-06-2011 11:31 PM

**** you Cornhusker pieces of shit! That's what you ****ing get for selling out and going to the Big Ten.

alanm 06-07-2011 05:47 AM

The divorce was finalized a year ago. Get over it. Move on.

eazyb81 06-07-2011 06:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie007 (Post 7682069)
Can this kid play basketball? Why couldn't he play D1 basketball? Maybe not Big 10/12 level but is he good enough to play somewhere, if he wanted to.

Yes, he has received D1 basketball offers, and he would have been a top recruit if he prioritized it offer baseball and football. But everyone knew he focused on the latter two sports and he just played bball for fun.

What a freakish talent.

eazyb81 06-07-2011 06:37 AM

Derek "Bubba" Starling | of/rhp | Gardner Edgerton HS (Gardner, Kan.)
Ht/Wt: 6-4/185 | B/T: R/R | Year: Senior | Age at Draft: 18y10m

Summary:
Starling is the draft's best overall athlete, but should not be saddled with the feared "more athlete than ballplayer" descriptive. True, his focus has been divided between three sports throughout high school (baseball, football and basketball) and, true, there is still some question as to whether he will ultimately choose to sign a professional baseball contract and forgo the opportunity to play both football and baseball at the University of Nebraska. What sets Starling apart from a typical "raw" two-sporter is the freakish nature of his athleticism and his ability to soak-up coaching and in turn apply the teachings to his game.

"Bubba" showed a lot of progress at the plate and in the field between the Tournament of Stars and the Under Armour All-America Game, spending time with USA Baseball and Area Code Games coaches in the interim. While his swing will need further tweaking, he already shows good bat speed and an advanced ability to get the barrel to the ball. The ball jumps when squared, and there is more power in there once he learns to better load and to incorporate his lower-half in a more efficient manner.

The Nebraska commit runs a sub-6.6 60-yard dash and can clock anywhere from 4.05-4.20 up the line to first base -- both fringe "80" grades on the 20/80 Scouting Scale. Defensively, he has the foot speed to cover center field but has spent a fair amount of time in right, as well, due to his arm strength. He will need to clean-up his arm action and set-up some to get more carry and accuracy on his throws, as he still throws too much from his ear and without a firm base -- but he is already making progress in this department. His first step is inconsistent, but he tracks very well once he gets a read on the ball.

All of the tools are here for building a star outfielder: the chance to hit for average and power, fringe top-tier speed, a big arm and game-changing athleticism. There is, of course, risk in committing a large sum of money to a high school player with unrefined skills. If ever there is a time to do it, however, it's when you come across an unrefined talent that displays elite athleticism, a knack for picking-up instruction and the competitive drive to push until he masters something -- that's exactly what you have in Bubba. For organizations adept at molding young talent, Starling is as promising a ball of clay as you are going to find. Oh, and he's also 90-93 mph off the mound with a solid curve...without any advanced coaching on the pitching side.

Saulbadguy 06-07-2011 06:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bo's Pelini (Post 7681603)
Lawlz thats why he committed to them right champ?

TUNNEL WALK!!11111