ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   News Singer Lauryn Hill Blames Slavery For Not Paying Her Taxes (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=272908)

loochy 05-09-2013 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by exterminator (Post 9670760)
Never said it was.

But it's one of the reasons.

They use their money wisely and take deductions to reduce their tax burden.

I do the same thing.

i know.

i just wanted to clarify because some of the jealous people will try to tear you down

-King- 05-09-2013 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9670675)
If there was any way I could control where my tax dollars went, I'd allocate them all towards keeping weed illegal just to piss him off.

LMAO now that's funny!
Posted via Mobile Device

SPATCH 05-09-2013 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alnorth (Post 9670708)
We're not talking about the daughter of sharecroppers in rural Alabama who grew up during the 50's.

She was born in 1975, in New Jersey, to a couple parents who were both working professionals who could afford a decent middle class lifestyle. She had advantages that many others, white or black, did not have, and she made millions.

She doesn't get to cloak herself with a shield of black sympathy after going all Wesley Snipes on us. She needs to go to prison, and NONE of this stuff you cited is relevant in this case.

Guess what? I wasn't talking about an individual person. I was speaking in broad terms.

I understand this thread is about Lauryn Hill but we've got people in here talking about "ninjas gonna ninja" and "this is why stereotypes exist". Those are broad comments.

Some people like to think their is no basis for reparations (or things like affirmative action). However, if you know your history...

seaofred 05-09-2013 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the_spatula (Post 9670798)
Guess what? I wasn't talking about an individual person. I was speaking in broad terms.

I understand this thread is about Lauryn Hill but we've got people in here talking about "ninjas gonna ninja" and "this is why stereotypes exist". Those are broad comments.

Some people like to think their is no basis for reparations (or things like affirmative action). However, if you know your history...

So do you believe that, if your grandfather was a murderer, we should punished or treat you like a murderer?

blaise 05-09-2013 11:37 AM

Quote:

Yes thanks for the history lessons, professor.

Donger 05-09-2013 11:39 AM

Quote:

Basis or justification for?

ChiefaRoo 05-09-2013 11:43 AM

Going to Jail. Say hello to Wesley Snipes.

saphojunkie 05-09-2013 11:45 AM

Real easy for us white guys to say "get over it!" I mean, she was born ELEVEN YEARS after the Civil Rights Act. There's no way there was any residual racial bias or struggle! I mean, no one alive in 1975 was racist, right? Certainly no one who worked in government or for schools or in positions of authority or people with hiring power at businesses or judges or cops. The second they ratified the amendment, everyone collectively stopped believing in segregation.

Oh, and New Jersey integrated in the forties. Which means her parents likely attended "colored only" schools for at least a few years. Her grandparents certainly did. So don't say "derp she's middle class from New Jersey, she doesn't have struggles!" Because you just sound ignorant.

think about this: Every single one of our fathers could remember a time when blacks weren't allowed to use the same bathroom. Some of the posters here can. That shit isn't "past us." If you think it is, then you're living in a little white fantasy world.

That said, I think she's a complete c*nt. But being a c*nt doesn't make your points completely invalid.

Purely coincidentally, I went to bed last night thinking about how the Constitution was ratified by a group of people that in no way represented a majority. Blacks, Indians, women, and non-land-owning white men were all subjected to laws they had absolutely no voice in creating or approving. In fact, only six percent of the American population was allowed to vote when the Constitution was ratified and had to silently obey laws thrust upon them with say. That sounds like the very definition of tyranny.

She has a point. It's not a point you like, but it's a real point.

blaise 05-09-2013 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saphojunkie (Post 9670852)
Real easy for us white guys to say "get over it!" I mean, she was born ELEVEN YEARS after the Civil Rights Act. There's no way there was any residual racial bias or struggle! I mean, no one alive in 1975 was racist, right? Certainly no one who worked in government or for schools or in positions of authority or people with hiring power at businesses or judges or cops. The second they ratified the amendment, everyone collectively stopped believing in segregation.

Oh, and New Jersey integrated in the forties. Which means her parents likely attended "colored only" schools for at least a few years. Her grandparents certainly did. So don't say "derp she's middle class from New Jersey, she doesn't have struggles!" Because you just sound ignorant.

think about this: Every single one of our fathers could remember a time when blacks weren't allowed to use the same bathroom. Some of the posters here can. That shit isn't "past us." If you think it is, then you're living in a little white fantasy world.

That said, I think she's a complete c*nt. But being a c*nt doesn't make your points completely invalid.

Purely coincidentally, I went to bed last night thinking about how the Constitution was ratified by a group of people that in no way represented a majority. Blacks, Indians, women, and non-land-owning white men were all subjected to laws they had absolutely no voice in creating or approving. In fact, only six percent of the American population was allowed to vote when the Constitution was ratified and had to silently obey laws thrust upon them with say. That sounds like the very definition of tyranny.

She has a point. It's not a point you like, but it's a real point.

She has a point? That she shouldn't pay taxes on the millions she earned because slavery existed? That's a 'point'? I guess. Somehow, in a totally irrelevant way.

Just Passin' By 05-09-2013 11:53 AM

Quote:

If you know your history, you know that the 3/5ths was strictly about voting apportionment and not an actual comment on blacks being 3/5 human. Free states wanted slaves to go uncounted while slave states wanted them counted as a full person for electoral college and House of Representative purposes. Furthermore, free blacks, obviously most of whom would be in free states (on a percentage basis, at least) got a 1:1 representation. If we were to try breaking it down using your logic, we'd come to the bizarre claim that the north/free states thought blacks weren't people while the south/slave states thought there were on equal footing with whites.

So either you're an idiot, or you've got an agenda that you consider more important than the truth. Either way, you're in no position to lecture others about knowing their history, so take your shit to DC where it belongs.

saphojunkie 05-09-2013 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blaise (Post 9670868)
She has a point? That she shouldn't pay taxes on the millions she earned because slavery existed? That's a 'point'? I guess. Somehow, in a totally irrelevant way.

Having a point doesn't mean you win the argument. I'm just saying she's not completely insane for claiming that there is still a severe racial gap in this country. That doesn't mean she doesn't have to follow the same rules.

I'm not talking about her tax evasion as much as I am the question of reparations in general.

Cannibal 05-09-2013 11:56 AM

Pay your taxes, and STFU, bitch!

Just Passin' By 05-09-2013 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saphojunkie (Post 9670852)
...She has a point...

No, she doesn't.

Donger 05-09-2013 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saphojunkie (Post 9670873)
Having a point doesn't mean you win the argument. I'm just saying she's not completely insane for claiming that there is still a severe racial gap in this country. That doesn't mean she doesn't have to follow the same rules.

I'm not talking about her tax evasion as much as I am the question of reparations in general.

Severe racial gap?

Maybe one day we'll bridge that gap by having affirmative action, making it illegal to discriminate based on race, have a Black POTUS...

Oh, wait.

Donger 05-09-2013 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cannibal (Post 9670874)
Pay your taxes, and STFU, bitch!

LMAO